ByeNJ

Moving out of state...Not sure what to do

can use some advice.

I have 3 registered handguns in New Jersey  and am moving next month.

I'll be living in NYC but frequently back to NJ to see friends.

I know i can't take the guns with me but wondering if I have to notify NJ PD in my town about any of this?

I come to NJ often and do like to shoot and am can store them somewhere. or at a gun locker place i suppose.

Took so long to get the permits, I hate giving them up now! I'm moving out of North NJ, do any ranges have storage facilities?

Wondering if I am allowed to even have them if I am no longer a state resident.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated!

From what I know you need to have the guns permitted before you move to NYC. That's not cheap.  If that's what you intend to do you have to leave the guns in NJ. No choice on that.

There are ranges that have storage but IANAL and would advise you on seeing one in your situation.

If you permit the guns in NYC I see no reason you couldn't bring them back to NJ to shoot as long as you're going to a range.

If I were in the same shoes I would leave the guns in storage in NJ until I had them permitted in  NYC.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

NYC is where gun rights go to die. $500 initial fees, 1 year long background check where the whole household, employer, and references need to write why you are okay to own a gun, registration of all firearms on top of NY handgun registration, 5 round magazines for rifles and 10 round magazines for handguns, home visits if you got more than 5 handguns, and 200 round ammo limits without owning a special permit to own more. And of course no ccw for you in NYC unless you are a celebrity (Howard Steward and President Trump actually got NYC carry permits) You do not have a second amendment right in NYC, it even says it in the permitting process that NYPD can take them at any time. Can’t you move to like Jersey City or Hoboken or even the neighboring counties in NY to be close to the city? 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Do you plan on lining in NYC for a long time?

If yes, then sell the guns.  It will end up costing you a lot of money and hassle with a gun sitting service and they'll be useless to you for their intended purpose.

It would be like paying to store a bunch of great snowmobiles that you'll never use.

If you ever move out of NYC you can buy more guns.

If you're only planning to live in the city for a short time then look for a storage place...

• Agree 1

Thank you for all the replies!

One thing I know is that I'm not going to take them or bother getting a NYC permit. Too aggravating.

If I leave then at gunsitters and decide to move them to go to a range is this technically legal since I'm not at the address on my permit and not an NJ resident?

Likely I will be living in the city for a length of time but as said, I go back often.

1 hour ago, The_Matrix said:

Everyone is leaving that liberal criminal infested dump and you are moving in. LOL.

Why???? job? family?

Born and raised in NYC. Lots of family and friends. I've already moved in fact but am selling my NJ home.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. 

The way I understand it, your NJ FID will become invalid when you move. You can get a non-resident one. I'd suggest you do that if you want to continue to visit your handguns. I've only seen good things said about Gunsitters, but do not know details about them. Perhaps, they may have more information about your situation. 

Another option, if your NJ residing friends/family are close/good enough friends/family why not transfer the handguns to them? You would need to be with that person(s) when you go to the range, but I'm sure it would be a much cheaper option. 

16 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. 

The way I understand it, your NJ FID will become invalid when you move. You can get a non-resident one. I'd suggest you do that if you want to continue to visit your handguns. I've only seen good things said about Gunsitters, but do not know details about them. Perhaps, they may have more information about your situation. 

Another option, if your NJ residing friends/family are close/good enough friends/family why not transfer the handguns to them? You would need to be with that person(s) when you go to the range, but I'm sure it would be a much cheaper option. 

That was my guess too. I'll contact Gunsitters to find out more. Thank you for the post and suggestions. Too much trouble to transfer them. 

33 minutes ago, ByeNJ said:

That was my guess too. I'll contact Gunsitters to find out more. Thank you for the post and suggestions. Too much trouble to transfer them. 

If you are gonna sell the guns, you still would have to transfer them. You can always sell them here on the gun forum.

46 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

If you are gonna sell the guns, you still would have to transfer them. You can always sell them here on the gun forum.

Easy to sell/send to a dealer.

12 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

I'll probably store them a few months but also considering moving close to NYC, maybe Weehawken..I can use a break from the city as most of you cant relate to as you hate it so much haha..maybe I just need a vacation!

If you are moving to NYC forget the guns.  I have an apartment in Lincoln square and wouldn’t entertain going through the process.  As a non-NJ resident it may be hard to store the guns and retrieve them for use unless they are stored at an actual range.  You’ll need a non-resident FPID which means the nearest state police barracks to your NYC location.  I would not leave my firearms with friends or family in NJ bedside that’s an illegal transfer if you do not live with them.  Sure you can sign a fake lease stating you live there but why risk it for three pistols that are common?   If all you care about is going the the range sell the guns and rent on range days it’s way less hassle.  

I keep my firearms, small quantity, in NJ and the bulk in FL.  If NYC was my only residence I’d not have firearms and rent when I came out to Nj. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

If you are moving to NYC forget the guns.  I have an apartment in Lincoln square and wouldn’t entertain going through the process.  As a non-NJ resident it may be hard to store the guns and retrieve them for use unless they are stored at an actual range.  You’ll need a non-resident FPID which means the nearest state police barracks to your NYC location.  I would not leave my firearms with friends or family in NJ bedside that’s an illegal transfer if you do not live with them.  Sure you can sign a fake lease stating you live there but why risk it for three pistols that are common?   If all you care about is going the the range sell the guns and rent on range days it’s way less hassle.  

I keep my firearms, small quantity, in NJ and the bulk in FL.  If NYC was my only residence I’d not have firearms and rent when I came out to Nj. 

agree 100%. not worth it. I'll bring them to the place i bought them and make a deal

On 4/19/2021 at 12:32 PM, kc17 said:

The way I understand it, your NJ FID will become invalid when you move. You can get a non-resident one. I'd suggest you do that if you want to continue to visit your handguns.

3 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

You’ll need a non-resident FPID which means the nearest state police barracks to your NYC location.

The OP has only mentioned having handguns. An FPIC gives you nothing with regard to handguns except the ability to buy handgun ammo.  It gives you no protections for acquisition, possession or transportation. For handguns you need a permit to carry a handgun. Otherwise you rely on the exemptions and exceptions written into the law.

Can you imagine being in a traffic stop at the side of the road and when asked for your license you offer a boating license? That is what you are doing if you offer a FPIC as a license to possess a handgun.

I know lots of FFLs ask for your FPIC when you buy a handgun. They don't need to. All the info they need is on the PtPP including your SBI number - with the added bonus that the PtPP actually authorizes the transfer of a handgun. An FPIC does not.

An FPIC allows you to do things with rifles and shotguns.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

The OP has only mentioned having handguns. An FPIC gives you nothing with regard to handguns except the ability to buy handgun ammo.  It gives you no protections for acquisition, possession or transportation. For handguns you need a permit to carry a handgun. Otherwise you rely on the exemptions and exceptions written into the law.

Can you imagine being in a traffic stop at the side of the road and when asked for your license you offer a boating license? That is what you are doing if you offer a FPIC as a license to possess a handgun.

I know lots of FFLs ask for your FPIC when you buy a handgun. They don't need to. All the info they need is on the PtPP including your SBI number - with the added bonus that the PtPP actually authorizes the transfer of a handgun. An FPIC does not.

I agree, based on the law. If he had his FPIC, things could still be smoother for him. We know there are cops out there that either do not know or care about the letter of the law. I'm not saying all cops, but I am very confident there are some. Just like your example of FFLs wanting to see the FPIC when they don't need to. Or an FFL telling someone any other number of inaccuracies or flat out lies. 

I know someone that was in a car accident on his way home from a match, he told the cop he had a handgun in the car and why. The cop wanted to see his FPIC, he happened to have it on him. Would the cop have made a stink if he didn't? We'll never know; but the cop wanted to see it anyway. What the cop did do was take his info for the accident, address his injuries, ask if there was someone that could pick him up since his car was not moveable under its own power anymore, and sent him on his way.

You may ask why he told the cop about the gun. It was a small hatchback and all contents were strewn about so the cop would have seen the range bag, ammo can, gun case, belt, etc....

4 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Yes he handguns and would need to buy ammo thus I said you need a no resident FPID.  I inferred none of these other things especially carry.  My real advice at the end was sell and rent. 

On 4/22/2021 at 1:14 PM, GRIZ said:

You'll get substantially more if you sell them privately.

If you sell you might as well post on this board to the other NJ gun forum members. Just have to become a premiere member before you can post for sale. $3/mo i believe. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

If you sell you might as well post on this board to the other NJ gun forum members. Just have to become a premiere member before you can post for sale. $3/mo i believe. 

I agree and will. Just have to get them somewhere this week as closing is Friday..then i can concentrate and sell them...probably haha!

Thanks for all the responses. IN the end and at the literal last moment, I had Gun Sitters, come by and pick up the guns. Didn't have time to advertise and sell myself.

Great experience with Gun Sitters on all levels.

thanks again for the suggestions and ideas!

• Like 1