EdF

Help me with some statistics if you can . . .

I'm thinking about gun control . . . I know that not very much that has been implemented has stopped violent crime and I know that not very much that has been proposed will do anything either.

Criminals don't follow the law.  

So . . . Where do the criminals get their guns?  I know that they can steal them, they can get them through straw purchases or family members.

But, does anybody have statistics that can tell me what percentage of illegally possessed weapons come from?  What would actually prevent criminals from getting guns?

I realize that serious jail time for violent criminals and/or those committing crimes with a gun will reduce violent crime as we have seen in the past.  But, what can be done that will put a dent in the numbers BEFORE the crime is committed?

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

actually, ghost guns are a real thing. they're just not what the politicians are trying to tell us that they are.

I know what ghost guns are.  I also know that thugs don't use ghost guns in their crimes as often as stolen or illegally obtained pistols are used.  Thugs are gonna thug, be it with a firearm, knife or can of soup.

7 hours ago, EdF said:

Where do the criminals get their guns?

This cites a DOJ survey:  https://www.foxnews.com/us/where-do-criminals-get-guns

Plus this:  https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/GUIC.PDF

and this:  https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/suficspi16.pdf

About 1.3% of prisoners obtained a gun from a retail source and used it during their offense.

Among prisoners who possessed a firearm during their offense, 0.8% obtained it at a gun show.

• Informative 1

On 4/19/2021 at 10:19 AM, CMJeepster said:

Gun show loophole mostly.  Oh, and ghost guns.  They print their own. :icon_lol:

Yeah and them 3D printed guns from DD. Gang bangers are printing them up every day.  Thankful that Grewall has protected NJ citizens from getting these. Except for those who use a vpn

Even firearms obtained through a "legal" source can be obtained in an illegal manner (straw purchases).  

Regardless of the source, you need to look at if the transaction itself was legal or not.

VERY few guns used in crimes are purchased legally.  It happens, but is rare.  Probably around 5%?