Hey guys looking for something in-between. 22 lr and my .223/556.Thinking .17hmr or .22 mag . Looking for better accuracy more then like varmint hunting. Any recommendations for a middle of the road bolt action rifle would be fantastic also . Something less then$600

204 Ruger, 218 Bee or 219 Zipper will fill the gap.   The guns are cheap compared to ammo price, and I'm not talking WuFlu/blamtifa riots/Xiden prices.  That shit was always expensive.  Kinda like buying a reasonably priced printer but the ink costs half the price of the printer itself.

I've got a Savage .17 HMR bolt action that is as accurate (maybe more so) than anything else I own.  Lots of fun at the range.  If you're going to hunt with it it's too much for squirrel (ask me how I know), but would be fine for larger game.  And - I have actually seen .17 HMR ammo available. 

A good .22 with good ammo can be surprisingly accurate and fun. My recent shooting with .22LR has been 10 shot groups, a 6x 5shot group target (one page, 6 targets you shoot for groups), and some paper 'know your limits' targets I designed. Throw in a few reactive targets and it is a good day at the range.

My issue with .17HMR is there is no match ammo available for it. Granted, mine likes CCI A17 and TNT and shoots reasonably small groups most of the time at 100, but some company needs to step up and make some good, quality ammo in .17HMR.

In your price range, you are in CZ 457 territory. Not sure if the Tikkas are available in magnums, but i think they are/were in that range for .22LRs. I own a few good Savages but for the money, I would hold off unless you want to budget more for optics.