Cheflife15

Change of careers

On 4/26/2021 at 11:49 AM, Cheflife15 said:

Any one here drastically change careers. Im 33...

We all could have stopped reading there.

Do it.

I practically started my career at that age, so you're in the PERFECT position IMO.

You properly identified that the restaurant/culinary industry is BRUTAL to family/home life.  Those 60 hour weeks NEVER change.

Get out now while you can.

• Thanks 1

I’d say do it.  You are 23.   You could also get supervisory or mgr jobs in retail that pay a little more than you are making now and only have to work 40 hours. Netting pretty close to where you are at now.  Just as an example of alternative.  The factory job may be more attractive. Jobs where you are dealing with retail customers can have its own issues.

The change you may make seems like it will not be a financial risk.  And it will give you your life back.  Nothing more valuable than getting your life back.  Missing time with your kids is something you can never get back.  Keep that in mind.

Edit: saw you are 33.  But I maintain the same opinion. Good luck!!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 3:14 PM, Cheflife15 said:

Lots of really excellent points made here. Im excited to see the potential new spot. Hopefully its a fit for me even if its just temporary. If not at least it seems a new future career is the way to go. 

@Cheflife15

At age 33, you are still young enough to start a completely new job in a totally different field or industry, which seems to now be the norm for your generation.  It you find out that you enjoy whatever the new job entails, maybe even developing a passion for it, then it could possibly become a new career for you.  As others have astutely pointed out, with your current salary and average hours you are working, a job change involving more money for less time working is quite appealing.

I can relate to that scenario since when I was much younger in my 20’s, I also was making less-than-desirable hourly wages and working 60-80 hours a week.  The difference between your situation and mine was that at that time, I was not burned out and was passionate about my work in my chosen profession.  Yet, like you, in my mid-30’s, I was offered an opportunity in my industry that diverged from the traditional career path that I had gone to school for, but utilized my knowledge and relationships, which also involved potentially a much larger financial reward.  I ultimately chose to purse that alternative opportunity and have had no regrets.  The change proved to be quite interesting, exposing me to many new and challenging situations and resulted in a significant financial gain, compared to if I had followed through with my original career path.

Understandably, change can be frightening due to so many unknowns.  Yet, the rational exercise of weighing the pros and cons, of staying in your current job or leaving, still requires courage to jump into a new and unknown situation, environment and life.  From what you have shared with us, makes me think that you may very well welcome and benefit from that change now, as will your growing family.  It sounds like you’re meeting this coming Tuesday will be some form of feeling out interview.  Remember, job interviews are a two-way street.  Your friend’s boss will be interviewing you AND you are interviewing him and the company, since that is your chance to ask him/them all of the important questions that you have and get their answers.  This is where the words of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow come to mind:  “We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done”. 

It sounds as if you have established yourself as a talented, industrious, experienced, hard-working individual in a high-pressure environment of the high-end culinary world in the New York City metropolitan region.  If, for whatever reason, this new factory opportunity does not work out, you most likely can return to the culinary world in some capacity, if you so desire.  By the way, years ago, my company constructed the test kitchens facility at the CIA in Hyde Park, NY, which was a fascinating project.  I wish you the best of luck with whatever you ultimately choose to do.

AVB-AMG

• Thanks 1

I would say do it.  I changed careers at age 30.  I joined the Army and learned several skills.  They paid for my bachelor's degree and a graduate certificate.  I had a great time and would do it all over again.  I retired several years and will be retiring from my second job in a few years.

Best of luck in what you decide.

With the economic downturn I had to go back to a previous life at 54! Out of HS while attending Newark State college , worked nights at live theater as a stagehand. Moved up in the theater, received my Union card at 23. Became master carpenter= stage crew boss. Up to 100 hands. Did that until 29, Started my own construction company for 28 years. Kept up my Union card. Construction died in 2005. Closed business and went back to Union.  Now 67 & retired for good. Worked out very well!

Update: unfortunately I have a rather crappy set back regarding the situation. After a month of back pain in multiple spots, 3 drs, lots of anti inflamatorys and muscle relaxers, today was the 1st day I was unable to get to work at the restaurant. Seems my body made the call for me. 

I woke up and could barely move, the pain was bringing me close to vomiting. Turns out i have multiple severely herniated discs that ive been working through and have been set up for emergency surgery wednesday. I was told my spine looks like I was in a horrible car accident, which i can only atribute to 15 years of hockey and 12 years as a chef. 

The exact surgery is Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. Googling it scares rhe shit out of me to be honest but the dr assures me ill be fine. Theres really no good time for a surgery but in the middle of trying to buy a home and plan a wedding is an extra little slap in the face. 

Ultimately its life and I'll get through it (at least statistically speaking) haha. 

Id appreciate any prayers or just good vibes. Thanks . 

• Sad 2

I was injured on the job in 08, required fusion rods and screws. Had MANY spine shots. Back surgery Failed, had to implant spinal cord stim. 2x for that surgery. So, all total 3 back surgeries. Use cane all time walking, Need walker 50% of the time and have a wheelchair for backup. 67 years old, 6'2" 290 lbs. look like an old offensive Tackle and have trouble walking. Used rothman! Make sure you look up previous clients of your surgeon!!!

Good Luck with surgery! I hope and pray it works better that mine!  Be careful with the opoids!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, 15636215 said:

I was injured on the job in 08, required fusion rods and screws. Had MANY spine shots. Back surgery Failed, had to implant spinal cord stim. 2x for that surgery. So, all total 3 back surgeries. Use cane all time walking, Need walker 50% of the time and have a wheelchair for backup. 67 years old, 6'2" 290 lbs. look like an old offensive Tackle and have trouble walking. Used rothman! Make sure you look up previous clients of your surgeon!!!

I did some research as did my fiance (nurse) and sister in law (nurse). Hes got a solid resume as far as the procedures go. Apparently is only down fall is hes blunt. As a chef that doesn't phase me haha. 

Can i ask what type of surgery you had? If it's personal feel free to ignore it. 

A few weeks ago went to another pain management DR. He advised a morphine pump! LOL. said after looking at my history, I should be deceased!! Too funny!. workman comp took 11 years to settle my claim. Now [jump for joy] they give me any pain killer I want!. Decline just about all.

Just now, 15636215 said:

A few weeks ago went to another pain management DR. He advised a morphine pump! LOL. said after looking at my history, I should be deceased!! Too funny!. workman comp took 11 years to settle my claim. Now [jump for joy] they give me any pain killer I want!. Decline just about all.

Man thats rough. Im sorry you had to deal with that shit. I cant imagine a morphine pump. Right now they're giving me cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxer) and dilaudid? It seems like the surgery im getting is relatively common with good results but theres always that chance. Fingers crossed and i hope you find some comfort with the pain killer. Back pain sucks. 

• Like 1

L4-L5 fusion with rods and screws. I had about 10 MRIs and the latest show bulge at L3, above the fusion. They did mention another back surgery! I replied No Fucking Way!! 10 days in hosp after first. Had pul embollisms in lungs almost died there! I could go on and on.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, 15636215 said:

L4-L5 fusion with rods and screws. I had about 10 MRIs and the latest show bulge at L3, above the fusion. They did mention another back surgery! I replied No Fucking Way!! 10 days in hosp after first. Had pul embollisms in lungs almost died there! I could go on and on.

Jesus, seems yours was your lower spine. Mines up higher. C5, c6, c7. The incision for the surgery happens at my neck. 

Just now, 15636215 said:

Jeez, dilaudid is some hot shit. Been there, Now I have jars of hydro, perkies and Oxys. They said I can get med. pot, But lose my firearms. 

I find that ridiculous by the way. Im not a pot smoker but i dont see it as any worse then alcohol (actually i see it as better). I wonder if that would help with the pain. If i didnt have these muscle relaxers id be a mess since this compression causes constant spasms. 

17 hours ago, Shocker said:

I had microdiscectomy and fuse L5-S1 and I’m only 40…bad form in the weight room I guess. 

The surgery sucks. Major. Ass. But hopefully it sorts you out. 

Yeah I had a feeling it will. Heading into survey in 5 hours. 

Wonder how long until I can shoot again!

On 4/27/2021 at 2:22 PM, YankeeSC said:

This is not your problem! :)

It's just business, don't make it personal.  Believe me, if they had to let you go I'm sure they would probably do what's in their best interest - most companies do.  2 weeks notice is more than fair.

^^^  this.

I never understood long notice.

I have seen folks lets go..on a monday morning..just after commuting in...  no notice...your done.

Yet same folks complain so and so left, with a weeks notice....  :/

3 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Yeah I had a feeling it will. Heading into survey in 5 hours. 

Wonder how long until I can shoot again!

I was walking the next day and walking without help (cane, etc) in about a week. The limiting factor will prob be how long your Dr says you have to wait to drive - you can’t stay sitting too long for the time being

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I was walking the next day and walking without help (cane, etc) in about a week. The limiting factor will prob be how long your Dr says you have to wait to drive - you can’t stay sitting too long for the time being

That's awesome to hear. Ive gotten in trouble a few times for getting up (Surgery is at 11 and they medicated me since ive been here). They actuslly put an alarm on my bed haha. I made a joke saying "im sorry i thought this was america." 

The nurses here all seem to appreciate my humor which is nice. My fiance also trained one of them at a different hospital so i know im in good hands. 

Honestly the most painful part for a former fat kid like myself is not eating since 12 last night. Im getting hangry. 

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

That's awesome to hear. Ive gotten in trouble a few times for getting up (Surgery is at 11 and they medicated me since ive been here). They actuslly put an alarm on my bed haha. I made a joke saying "im sorry i thought this was america." 

The nurses here all seem to appreciate my humor which is nice. My fiance also trained one of them at a different hospital so i know im in good hands. 

Honestly the most painful part for a former fat kid like myself is not eating since 12 last night. Im getting hangry. 

Sounds like you are doing great!!  Much different from my lower back. Morphine pump and plastic straight jacket so back would not move and paralyze me!! For 10 days!!  Good Luck!

• Sad 1

So far so good. Surgery took a little longer then expected but no more spasks at the moment. Going to enjoy my little pain cocktails and rest. 

Figured id wait s day or 2 to ask when i can go to the range lol. Thanks everyone 

0519212114.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see surgery went well.

As others say make the move, I’m in a career right now that I’m trying to look for something else to be able to spend more time with family. I feel I work more then being with them and I am not a fan. 

• Thanks 2