revenger

Illinois foid card unconstitutional

I don’t think this would help against the current NJ FPID since you are allowed to own firearms in this state without one. For now you can bring them with you when you move.

That said, the proposed law requiring someone moving from out of state with firearms to get a FPID, and any criminal penalties for possession without one would fly in the face of this decision. 

23 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Can you buy a firearm without a FPID?

I believe that technically you can apply for and be granted a handgun purchase permit, with which you can buy a handgun. But without a FOID you will not be able to buy ammo or long guns.

So the question is, if you apply for a handgun permit without a NJ SBI number (usually created with a FOID), will they issue you a SBI number for the handgun permit?

I'm not sure about that.

19 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

The Illinois case isn’t about purchase. It’s about possession in the home without a FOID.  

I will assume it is similar to the old, but recent DC law that prohibited one from having an unlocked and/or assembled firearm in one's home without a permit to carry that is impossible or nearly impossible to obtain.

13 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I believe that technically you can apply for and be granted a handgun purchase permit, with which you can buy a handgun. But without a FOID you will not be able to buy ammo or long guns.

So the question is, if you apply for a handgun permit without a NJ SBI number (usually created with a FOID), will they issue you a SBI number for the handgun permit?

I'm not sure about that.

Handgun permits have your SBI number on them and you can apply for just a handgun permit without ever having an FPIC. You can also buy handgun ammo in NJ by presenting your copy of the used handgun permit.

21 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Handgun permits have your SBI number on them and you can apply for just a handgun permit without ever having an FPIC. You can also buy handgun ammo in NJ by presenting your copy of the used handgun permit.

So if the first thing you do related to firearms is apply for a handgun purchase permit they will create a SBI number for you as part of that process? And without applying for a FOID?

If that's true then you could purchase a handgun and not have been fingerprinted.

1 minute ago, 45Doll said:

So if the first thing you do related to firearms is apply for a handgun purchase permit they will create a SBI number for you as part of that process? And without applying for a FOID?

If that's true then you could purchase a handgun and not have been fingerprinted.

The background check for a PtPP is exactly the same as for an FPIC. If you have never been "in the system" before you still need to be fingerprinted. For the sake of $5 it isn't worth not getting the FPIC at the same time, but it is not required.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

The background check for a PtPP is exactly the same as for an FPIC. If you have never been "in the system" before you still need to be fingerprinted. For the sake of $5 it isn't worth not getting the FPIC at the same time, but it is not required.

Well I agree there's really no reason not to apply for a FPIC as well. A handgun is useless without ammunition. I was really just musing about another quirk in the NJ law.

I'd be interested to know if anyone on the board has gone this route. For whatever reason.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

You can buy handgun ammo with a PtPP too - you get a copy to take home with the handgun. You don't need an FPIC.

I knew you can buy ammo at the time of handgun purchase. But I had no idea a NJ FFL will accept an executed PtPP (paper based or printed digital copy) at any later date to sell you ammunition.

On 4/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, 45Doll said:

I believe that technically you can apply for and be granted a handgun purchase permit, with which you can buy a handgun.

I don't believe that this is true.  I believe that you can apply for both at the same time and receive them both at the same time.

19 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I can't wait until NJ's gun laws start getting smacked down.  

Just hope I'm still alive to see it.....

THIS..... ever since the supreme court denied review of Mark Cheeseman v Polillo and Rogers v Grewal, I have prayed that I live long enough to see NJ's permitted schemes eviscerated and those responsible for these laws brought to their knees. I literally cannot wait for the bitch slapping that will take place when oral arguments begin in the NY rifle and pistol V Corlett case this fall. IT WILL BE BETTER THAN PAY PER VIEW! THIS IS A LONG TIME COMING.

• Like 1