sp005

Anyone seen .38 special recently

I bought my first wheel gun a few months back, but I haven't been able to shoot it yet. The vendor was only able to sell me a single box of 50, and everytime I hit the local shops to buy more I come up empty.  Has anyone seen any .38 special in their travels over the past few days? I have Friday off, so I am up for a road trip.  I am in the northern part of the state but willing to drive about an hour in any direction. I am just tried of looking and would prefer to buy in person if possible.

12 hours ago, GRIZ said:

What kind of revolver did you buy?  What kind of ammo you looking for?

I picked up a S&W Bodyguard 38.

Anything I can get that will poke holes in paper @15 or 20 yards.

4 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

Best to post a Want to Buy listing on WTB section. 

Thanks, I will have to do that.  Today I went to:

Heritage Guild Rahway

Heritage Guild Branchburg

Lou's

Garden State Armory

Middlebrook Firearms

Ottomanelli's

Struck out at all. The only pickup was a single box of 9mm from Heritage Guild Rahway. I had low expectations, but hoped somewhere I might get lucky. I was mainly looking for .38sp, but would have settled for 9mm or .40.  Multiple places had .45, which I found surprising and more rifle ammo than I saw 2-3 months ago when I last went looking for .38sp.

Call and check cheyenne moutain in Bordentown..  i saw .22, 9mm, .223., 308, etc yesterday when i was in there. Didnt specifically noticed any 38 special, but might be worth checking..  

ps. even had a box of LRP magnum..  and a few bricks of 209 shotty primers... And some anderson stripped lowers...

• Agree 1

Heritage guild in Rahway gets their ammo delivery on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4pm.

that’s a lot of driving, shooters has all the 9mm you can Carry for $36 a box.  

Got lucky, Tuesday they had 20g target loads, picked up a few cases.  

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

@sp005 if it’s not in the gun shop, it’s on NJ gun forum. I been buying ammo strictly off the gun forum since December 2020

Looks like it is time for me to upgrade my membership, post a WTB, and do the same. Thanks for all the tips. Today was a good excuse too get out of the house, but reinforced that I need to look for alternate sources.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, W2MC said:

38 special is about the easiest cartridge to reload out there...if you can find small pistol primers.

Sure is! Ive been sitting on a pile of components and a lyman turrret press for over a year, waiting to finally start making up my own ammo.  

A few weeks ago i dived in and knew 38 special was the easiest, and safest, since i would be shooting it in my S&W 686 .357 revolver.. I would have been hard pressed to screw up enough on 38 special to cuase pressures the 357 wouldnt handle.  Everything went fine. I had some random bullets to use up from some box lot auction buys. Loaded up a few dozen full wad cutters, flush with the rim, sitting on 2.8gr of bullseye.  Shot wonderfully and very accurate at 20 yards or so.  Ive since moved on to 45 acp. A little hickup in my seating and crimp the first try, but looks like i have it worked out now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

You've been buying a ton from the forum - We noticed!

18 hours ago, silverado427 said:

I'm sure we're not the only ones who notice.

2020 was when I got my first job coming out of college, so like any young and single guy who is into guns I splurged a little of my paycheck on some firearms and ammo. Also, I do split my ammo purchases up with friends and family that I go to the range with frequently so not only that I am good on ammo, but the people in my life that goes to the range with me are also good on ammo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Natchez had them twice this week . Pmc for .51 pr and Remington for .78 pr .        Precision has them in stock now but they are a little pricey I bought a bunch of 38 and 357 about 6 months ago for half the price they want now . But it’s in stock if your desperate. https://precisiononeammunition.com/product-category/ammunition/pistol/new/38-special/      

54 minutes ago, Bzerk said:

Natchez had them twice this week . Pmc for .51 pr and Remington for .78 pr .        Precision has them in stock now but they are a little pricey I bought a bunch of 38 and 357 about 6 months ago for half the price they want now . But it’s in stock if your desperate. https://precisiononeammunition.com/product-category/ammunition/pistol/new/38-special/      

Gotta be quick on those Natchez ammo drops.

I hit both of them this week couldn’t pass up .51 per round . The Remington were 250 round box’s I had 2 in my cart then decided to  pass on them a little pricey for 38 rounds think they were .68 pr not  .78 like I posted earlier.  Both drops only last minutes . Reddit in stock ammo has cost me a small fortune over the last 6 months . Keep saying I’m done and then something decently priced pops up . Natchez is tough sometimes but other times they just drop crazy amounts of stock . Looks like Bass Pro just started their online sales back up again with random drops . Sucks for us in NJ long ride to PA to pick up orders. 

On 5/1/2021 at 3:34 PM, W2MC said:

38 special is about the easiest cartridge to reload out there...if you can find small pistol primers.

This is something I never really thought about, but now I need to research. Thanks for the tip. Guess I know to save my brass in case I end up going down this path.

The bullet in the ad, and the 'jacketed semi-wadcutter HP' in the sketch above, are truncated cone bullets (there is no shoulder on the bullet).

The vendor may have just gotten tired of explaining to customers what 'truncated cone' means.

• Agree 1

On 5/3/2021 at 3:22 PM, BullzeyeNJ said:

It is in fact a semi-wadcutter. You may be thinking of the totally flat wadcutter. 

268708F6-73D8-4E18-A66C-184042DF8303.gif

Umm.. No.   It's a flat point or truncated cone.  

https://www.berrysmfg.com/category/preferred-plated-bullets/plated-pistol/38-357

On 5/3/2021 at 6:02 AM, BullzeyeNJ said:

Thanks for this tip. I was able to place an order with this vendor and one other. I should have enough rounds inbound for a little while.

I am very appreciative of all the help everyone has given me in this thread and through PMs.  Once the orders arrive, then on my next day off I can have a little fun.

• Agree 1