Ouchthathurts

Building an AR in NJ

Hey all,

I have an idea that will kill 2 birds with one stone. 
I want to do a video series on building a quality budget AR in 6.5 grendel. I get the 6.5 grendel I want and it’s content for my YouTube. 
ive been searching online for budget parts and every site seems to not ship to nj. Barrel, rails, stock, upper... I understand the lower will have to go through an ffl but for the rest, am I missing something here or do I need to go through an ffl for everything?

Only the Lower needs to be transferred through a FFL.  The sites that say they won't ship to NJ are being overly cautious in protecting themselves from our ridiculous laws and Attorney General.

There are plenty of sites that ship to NJ - where are you shopping that it won't let you get stuff?  "discount" sites like CDNN, Sportsmans Guide, etc. have a blanket "no AR parts to NJ" bs internal clause.

6 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Only the Lower needs to be transferred through a FFL.  The sites that say they won't ship to NJ are being overly cautious in protecting themselves from our ridiculous laws and Attorney General.

There are plenty of sites that ship to NJ - where are you shopping that it won't let you get stuff?  "discount" sites like CDNN, Sportsmans Guide, etc. have a blanket "no AR parts to NJ" bs internal clause.

I think that’s my issue. I’m looking at discount sites because my idea, which may not even be possible, is to look for deals here and there and build a nice 6.5 grendel for around $500. I think it would make a cool video series and be informative since it’ll be my first time building one. 
I just wasn’t sure if companies simply won’t ship to no because that’s how it seems.

35 minutes ago, Ouchthathurts said:

I think that’s my issue. I’m looking at discount sites because my idea, which may not even be possible, is to look for deals here and there and build a nice 6.5 grendel for around $500. I think it would make a cool video series and be informative since it’ll be my first time building one. 
I just wasn’t sure if companies simply won’t ship to no because that’s how it seems.

The discount sites may appear cheaper but generally may not be.  You can still get a 6.5 Grendel barrel for under $200 from sites like MidwayUSA.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023207151?pid=694139

Now's not really the time for "budget" building - prices are way up and supplies are way down.  Right now it's more of - buy what you can get. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ouchthathurts said:

If you're in a hurry then you picked the wrong time to try to make a budget build.

Everything AR related is in high demand, so the great deals on stripped uppers and lowers, barrels, BCG, etc, etc just aren't happening anymore.

With that said, if you're not in a need to build NOW, it's still possible to pick things up here and there at good (not great) prices.

Check in with Aero Precision and PSA on a regular basis to see what their stock looks like.  Some of their blemished deals still pop up so you might get lucky. Check Gunbroker and the other online sites for barrels, rails, etc.  For miscellaneous parts I had good success with aimsurplus.com.  They even had a shipment of BCG's recently so I was able to get one before they sold out.

The BEST source for parts IMO is forums.  Keep checking the Classified here and other gun sites for people getting rid of the odds and ends from their reloading rooms.

This process could take several months (or more), but with ammo prices being what they are it's not like you'll be doing a lot of shooting any time soon.

• Like 1