leahcim

AC question

Any HVAC experts or there?

I have a mini split in one room and noticed it is taking about 10+ minutes after turn on before the air is really cold.  The air is cooler than room after a minute, but still in the 60s for awhile and eventually gets down to about 50.

Also, as it is getting colder, the air from the side closest to compressor is noticably cooler, but eventually everything gets cold.

Any ideas, could it just need "freon" recharge?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'm not an hvac guy...but what you're describing is what happens on cars when the freon's low.

IANAHVACG....   but this is the most likely issue.  If you see ice building on the evaporator coil or the low pressure (cold side) line outside, that makes it more likely to be a refrigerant issue.  But there are other issues, like with valves that can also be the issue.  I end up dealing directly with a lot of hvac guys where I work and picked up some basic knowledge over the years.  No mini splits but the systems have a whole lot in common.

If it is low refrigerant, they should also locate the leak.

Thanks, I'll get someone out to service the freon.  At least it  cools eventually, and it's not too hot yet, so I don't need service immediately. 

The Mrs actually tried heat mode today and said that it got hot pretty quick.