CMJeepster

Angling enforcement FTW!

NJ animal cops ticket 100 fishermen to protect fisheries (nj1015.com)

I'm happy to see that there is actual enforcement of the fishing regulations in this state.  I've seen too many time the bucket brigade haul too many and undersized fish away for a meal instead of doing the right thing and throwing them back!

• Like 2

The range/sportsmen club where I have a membership sends out the monthly e-newsletter from the NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs.  There is a section in there that details some of the enforcement work done by conservation officers during the previous month to enforce hunting and fishing regulations, commercial fishing laws, dumping laws and other public land use violations all over the state.  Its amazing sometimes the surveillance and investigation efforts they put in to enforcing these rules.  While I'm sure we've all seen and heard of all sorts of hunting and fishing violations and it goes without saying that they can't be everywhere all the time, they don't get nearly enough credit for what they do accomplish.

According to the link, most of the summons were from along the Hudson and Newark Bay.

Are those fish safe to eat ????

Most of the summonses were handed out to fishermen along the Hudson River and the Newark Bay

3 hours ago, Fred2 said:

Are those fish safe to eat ????

FWIW I met a marine biologist from NOAA back in the late 90s, early 2000s. Unbeknownst to many NOAA monitors ecosystems.  They kept a small boat at the NJSP Dock in Port Newark.

She was unloading some fish they caught.  I asked her where she caught those.  She responded, "Here in Newark Bay". I said, "I wouldn't eat them".  She said, "I would.  At least for the past few years I've been testing fish from here".

One of the indicators of polluted water is low dissolved oxygen levels.  Go back to the late 60s, early 70s, The oxygen level in Newark Bay and the Arthur Kill was....zero!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fred2 said:

I related what someone told me 20 years ago and prefaced my statement with FWIW.

Last time I did any kind of fishing is when I lived in Key West and that was over 30 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Fred2 said:

That must have been sweet.

Water so clear that you could just reach in and grab what you wanted.  :icon_razz:

Also dangerous to navigate if you don't know the area.  Is that a big coral head in 20 feet of water or a small coral head in 2 feet of water.  It could ruin your "hull" day.

• Haha 1