voyager9

New 590a1

I managed to snag a new Mossberg 590a1.  My first shotty.   I’ve yet to get a chance to strip and clean it let alone get to the range it with but I’m already looking at upgrades.  While it can be for HD, it won’t be my go-to, so I want to keep it simple for now. Mainly a sling and a light.  

For the light I thought the Streamlight racker seemed like an interesting idea. Wasn’t sure if it is a gimmick.  Has anyone uses it?   Surefire has something similar but it’s a lot more money.  With both options I’m concerned with how for back and underslung they are and barrel shadow.

For sling I was looking for a two-point QD.  I have blue force gear vickers sling on my ARs and wanted something similar. Not sure the best way to add QD to the 590a1.  Looks like ggg and magpul both have options for the front. For the rear ggg also has an option but it seems to stick out quite a bit.  Getting the magpul stock, which has a QD, could be an option though seems silly to replace a stock just for a QD socket.  

On 5/3/2021 at 11:52 PM, voyager9 said:

seems silly to replace a stock just for a QD socket.

I've done it.  The original stock on my M4gery was a basic Magpul MOE, but when I decided I was going to adopt QD for all my rifles, I upgraded the stock to one with QD studs and a locking bar that snugs up the stock.  Keep the sling simple, it's just a shotgun.

You could drill and tap the stock for a QD stud or a sling swivel,  There are also slip on butt pads with sling loops.  Lots of options.

The flashlight I bought at Tractor Supply is surprisingly good.  It's durable, rechargeable and comes with a tail switch if you like that sorta thing.

16 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

$ 80  bucks for the 850 lumens seems like a good deal

Yeah I agree, after thinking about it for more than a few seconds:  15% more light at 33% more cost.  Midway has the 1000-lumen one for $118

I got the TL Racker for my mossberg. I havent used the gun alot with the light since I got it, but the light seems pretty good so far.  As far as slings go, I like a single point on a pump action gun. I always felt that a two point has the potential to get in the way up front when working the action. YMMV though. 

I got a TL Racker for my H&R Parnder Protector (Remington 870 clone) and it works for me. Bright light, durable with the shooting trips that I have taken it in, inexpensive and it’s streamline compared to various other solutions in my opinion. Controls are simple to use too. 

I finally disassembled, cleaned and lubed it the other day. Also installed the racker light.  I might have mucked something up because racking it now is extremely stiff… worse than when I first took it out of the box.   Not sure what’s going on but I have to pull it apart again.  The TL Racker did seem very tight sliding over the barrel and the guide arms (or whatever they’re called) was tough to get into the slots of the upper.