Paperguynj

NJ Psych evaluations

Hi folks,

I am in the process of applying for my FID. I had a two day mental health hospital stay back in 2009 while going through a divorce.  I have not had any issues since. I am currently getting a psych evaluation from a known psychologist in this area and want to submit that along with my application to be upfront and Infront of the situation. Has anyone had a situation like this before?  If the evaluation comes back ok like I think it will should it be enough for the police to approve the application?

42 minutes ago, Paperguynj said:

If the evaluation comes back ok like I think it will should it be enough for the police to approve the application?

Don't make that assumption, others have been denied just for seeing a psychiatrist and getting an Rx for anti-depressants.

Contact a firearms attorney such as Frank Pisano on how to proceed BEFORE you submit the application.

Whatever he charges will be nothing compared to the hassle and costs of getting denied and having to appeal.

45 minutes ago, Paperguynj said:

Hi folks,

I am in the process of applying for my FID. I had a two day mental health hospital stay back in 2009 while going through a divorce.  I have not had any issues since. I am currently getting a psych evaluation from a known psychologist in this area and want to submit that along with my application to be upfront and Infront of the situation. Has anyone had a situation like this before?  If the evaluation comes back ok like I think it will should it be enough for the police to approve the application?

I dont believe a psychologist will be able to get this done for you. 

You need a licensed psychiatrist, per law. I beleive. 

In any event, don't tell them you want to buy guns or get a license for firearms. 

Tell them you would like an mental health evaluation and that you require a formal statement of their findings. If they want to know why, ask them if it would change their willingness to be impartial to the results of their findings. 

The second you mention guns it seems these people say no thanks find someone else. 

58 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I dont believe a psychologist will be able to get this done for you. 

You need a licensed psychiatrist, per law. I beleive. 

In any event, don't tell them you want to buy guns or get a license for firearms. 

Tell them you would like an mental health evaluation and that you require a formal statement of their findings. If they want to know why, ask them if it would change their willingness to be impartial to the results of their findings. 

The second you mention guns it seems these people say no thanks find someone else. 

I remember names of mental health professionals who are 2A friendly being brought up in other threads.  Not much difference in the ability of a psychologist or psychiatrist in diagnosing a mental condition.  The difference in treating is a psychiatrist can prescribe drugs.

I've no experience in handling such matters but I would think you need to have report read that the doctor sees no reason the person should be barred from owning and handling firearms.  

We all have our quirks which are no danger to anyone including ourselves. If these are listed on an evaluation whoever makes the decision may not feel comfortable if the evaluation discloses one is slightly OCD or was depressed when their dog died.

The less information given to the powers that be the better.

26 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I remember names of mental health professionals who are 2A friendly being brought up in other threads.  Not much difference in the ability of a psychologist or psychiatrist in diagnosing a mental condition.  The difference in treating is a psychiatrist can prescribe drugs.

I've no experience in handling such matters but I would think you need to have report read that the doctor sees no reason the person should be barred from owning and handling firearms.  

We all have our quirks which are no danger to anyone including ourselves. If these are listed on an evaluation whoever makes the decision may not feel comfortable if the evaluation discloses one is slightly OCD or was depressed when their dog died.

The less information given to the powers that be the better.

I think it's the licensing requirement required by law, one is a medical doctor the other us not. 

13:54-1.6 Exception for physical disability, mental disorder or alcoholism
 A permit or identification card may be issued to a person who had previously suffered from a physical defect or disease,
or mental disorder, or was an alcoholic if the applicant provides a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed
in New Jersey, or other satisfactory proof that he or she is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a
manner that it would interfere with or handicap him or her in the handling of firearms.

Other satisfactory proof is highly subjective, and people have said on here before that PDs aren't willing to use psychologists reports...

• Informative 1

31 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I think it's the licensing requirement required by law, one is a medical doctor the other us not. 

13:54-1.6 Exception for physical disability, mental disorder or alcoholism
 A permit or identification card may be issued to a person who had previously suffered from a physical defect or disease,
or mental disorder, or was an alcoholic if the applicant provides a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed
in New Jersey, or other satisfactory proof that he or she is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a
manner that it would interfere with or handicap him or her in the handling of firearms.

Other satisfactory proof is highly subjective, and people have said on here before that PDs aren't willing to use psychologists reports...

A psychologist would seem to be "other satisfactory proof"  but I agree with you to use a psychiatrist is specifically mentioned.