jm1827

WTB- used pick up truck

My son just turned 17 and has been saving for a few years and is in the market for a used pickup truck.

If anyone knows of a someone selling a quality used truck please let me know.  He has almost $16K saved and is fairly brand agnostic. 

I know $16K doesn't buy much, but he wants a truck.  I am just trying to make sure he doesn't get ripped off.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, jm1827 said:

My son just turned 17 and has been saving for a few years and is in the market for a used pickup truck.

If anyone knows of a someone selling a quality used truck please let me know.  He has almost $16K saved and is fairly brand agnostic. 

I know $16K doesn't buy much, but he wants a truck.  I am just trying to make sure he doesn't get ripped off.

Thanks!

i have 2 friends who are used car dealers.

jared....owns aces auto sales.

609-560-1392

mike....owns iron horse auto sales.

856-577-1760

i dunno what either of them have right now as far as pickups,  but they both let me fix things properly...no bandaid on the bleeding artery bs........and neither one of them will bs you.

throw my name around. you'll prolly get their voice mail. they do return calls though.

mike just sold a REALLY nice gmc 2500hd for well under what you say your son has saved.

i'm john from cherry hill btw

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i have 2 friends who are used car dealers.

jared....owns aces auto sales.

609-560-1392

mike....owns iron horse auto sales.

856-577-1760

i dunno what either of them have right now as far as pickups,  but they both let me fix things properly...no bandaid on the bleeding artery bs........and neither one of them will bs you.

throw my name around. you'll prolly get their voice mail. they do return calls though.

mike just sold a REALLY nice gmc 2500hd for well under what you say your son has saved.

i'm john from cherry hill btw

Thanks John- I will reach out to both.

14 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

For $16K you can get a VERY nice used pickup!

I hope so, we have been looking for a while and haven't found anything yet.  

16 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Even better than a pickup truck. Im selling an 09 f550 dump truck.  12’ grain body with 9’ boss plow. Now thats a pick up truck.  That pays for its self.  

I'm sure his mother would love that!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DaddyNick said:

On njwoodsandwater dot com in the classified section someone is selling a Ford f150. Think was less then your budget.  It looked nice.  

It does look nice but he is priced higher than KBB.com recommends for a 2005.

18 hours ago, Golf battery said:

All i own is ford for trucks.  Dont get one    They’re best for heavy duty work trucks.  For every day driver.  Gmc or chevy. 

I drive an F-250 and a Silverado 2500 at work.  The Ford is more heavy duty but it rides like shit, Silverado is more civilized.  Used Fords, especially the quad cabs, cost more too.  I recently bought a really nice 2004 Chevy 1500 extended cab with 118K on the clock  for six grand.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

It does look nice but he is priced higher than KBB.com recommends for a 2005.

Not sure I didn't get that far in the process.  My son turns 17 in January so I've been browsing the sites.  Lol. 

15 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

On njwoodsandwater dot com in the classified section someone is selling a Ford f150. Think was less then your budget.  It looked nice.  

Thanks, I found it on the site, initial asking price was $12.5K, but came down fairly quickly to $10K, and is now unfortunately sold already. 

Thanks for the heads up though, I will keep looking on that site as well.

Interesting thread.

Up until a year and a half ago, I've always had some sort of truck ... now, with a little Nissan Rogue, I'm feeling all truckless and nekked.

Thinking about the 'other' end of what jm1827 is looking for...a decent beater as a second vehicle. 

So anyone selling what jm1827 isnt looking for?  An old pickup for a couple k?

Don't buy ANY Chevy or GMC with Active Fuel Management (AFM) sometimes also known as Displacement On Demand (DOD).  Look up AFM / DOD lifter failure.

Right now trucks and SUVs are selling at a premium.  They are what everybody wants.

The 800 series of Chevy / GMC trucks are pre-AFM / DOD.  Not sure if he wants something that old though (pre-2007 generally).  Find one from a rust free zone.  Low mileage ones in good shape are generally in the $10k - $15k range.  Yes, $10 -15k.  For a 15+ year old truck.  Because old push rods are VERY hard to kill 

Get a Toyota.  Ask any mechanic 

On 5/6/2021 at 7:09 PM, Scorpio64 said:

I recently bought a really nice 2004 Chevy 1500 extended cab with 118K on the clock  for six grand.

That's a great deal if it's in good shape.  Congrats.

46 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Right now trucks and SUVs are selling at a premium.  They are what everybody wants.

Quad cabs are basically a suv/pickup combo.  Throw a cap on a quad cab silverado and it looks pretty much like a suburban.

8 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Don't buy ANY Chevy or GMC with Active Fuel Management (AFM) sometimes also known as Displacement On Demand (DOD).  Look up AFM / DOD lifter failure.

The 800 series of Chevy / GMC trucks are pre-AFM / DOD.  Not sure if he wants something that old though (pre-2007 generally).  Find one from a rust free zone.  Low mileage ones in good shape are generally in the $10k - $15k range.  Yes, $10 -15k.  For a 15+ year old truck.  Because old push rods are VERY hard to kill 

Thanks Glen- used trucks are definitely in demand. 

Looked at one in PA, and pictures were altered to cover up the rust and dents, very deceitful of the dealer.  Found one in Hazlet at at dealership that my brother in law used to work for, we called around 1PM the day it went on sale, it was already sold that morning.

Toyotas are great, but even more expensive and in demand than the American made trucks.  We will keep looking.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you are looking for a standard 2 door, there are tons of em on Craig's List priced reasonably.  For whatever reason, hardly anybody drives just a regular old pickup anymore.

that's something i've always found weird. to me, a pickup truck is a work vehicle. it's for use in hauling stuff, maybe a little off roading, and overall beating the snot out of......yet i see most people in pickups with more options than a beemer.

8 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

i've got several customers with gm products with those engines. only one that's had any of the common problems was a police cruiser....and that was covered under warranty.

shop across the street has a customer with one of the cadi suv's with that setup. had the #1 lifter failure at about 140k miles. he hadn't seen it before, so called me for advice. i explained the system to him, and that he should sell ALL of the afm lifters. he tried, customer refused, and only bought the lifters for #1 bank. 3 months later #4 failed. but....that was on the owner though.

overall, it's a fantastic system if ya understand how it works

Another thought.  As a new driver, handling a full sized PU may be a PITA.  Maybe a mid sized 6 cyl quad cab would be better.  Easier to handle.  Dodge Dakota, Ford Ranger (newer ones) GMC Canyon, Chevy Colorado.  Midsized trucks used to look stupid, like toy trucks compared to a full size.  The newer mids look like trucks.

15 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

overall, it's a fantastic system if ya understand how it works

It "saves" about 1-2 MPG.  And you are rolling the dice if you buy a used one.

If you can afford $50k and immediately disable it, fine.  But then GMs newer transmissions suck and implode.  I wouldn't recommend  newer GM to ANYONE.  They are junk.  Except for maybe the 2500 and up line.  Some of their older vehicles are good but you need to really research which ones.

"Allegedly" GM fixed the AFM problem.  Originally the same 4 cylinders shut down.  Now the computers vary which ones shut down and which ones stay active.  Still don't trust it.  Especially considering you are only saving a very few MPG.  

Look at Toyota.  Even then, you should still research the years.  Some years had problems with premature rust rot.  Toyota covered it and replaced A LOT of frames..  Not sure if they are still doing so.  There's a reason pre-owned Toyotas are expensive.  Same reason older non-AFM GM trucks are expensive.  They are reliable.

Good luck.  

13 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Another thought.  As a new driver, handling a full sized PU may be a PITA.  Maybe a mid sized 6 cyl quad cab would be better.  Easier to handle.  Dodge Dakota, Ford Ranger (newer ones) GMC Canyon, Chevy Colorado.  Midsized trucks used to look stupid, like toy trucks compared to a full size.  The newer mids look like trucks.

Our daughter LOVES our 04 Yukon.  But yeah, full sized trucks / SUVs can be daunting.  

The newer Rangers look nice but no idea how reliable they are.  

Can't go wrong with an older pushrod engine.  

On 5/8/2021 at 10:23 AM, Scorpio64 said:

it could be...but better to get used to normal sized vehicle right off the bat...otherwise they could be 30 and taking turns in a honda just about the same as guys with 53ft trailers.

On 5/9/2021 at 6:02 PM, mustang69 said:

I'm selling this one, but it's a bit of a hike for you...

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/windham-2006-f150-xl-4x4-work-truck/7319129713.html

Thanks, NH would be a hike.

18 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

and taking turns in a honda just about the same as guys with 53ft trailers.

The Silverado I drive at work and the one I recently bought are very similar, in fact, they are only 2 years apart in mfg date.  When I got my truck, I was taking extra wide turns as if I was pulling a trailer.  I got used to not pulling a trailer over the winter.  Then spring hits and I'm driving work truck, not paying attention to the fact that now I am pulling an 18' trailer.  Well, I clipped a few curbs.

19 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

The Silverado I drive at work and the one I recently bought are very similar, in fact, they are only 2 years apart in mfg date.  When I got my truck, I was taking extra wide turns as if I was pulling a trailer.  I got used to not pulling a trailer over the winter.  Then spring hits and I'm driving work truck, not paying attention to the fact that now I am pulling an 18' trailer.  Well, I clipped a few curbs.

He wants a truck, prefers a full size but would take a mid size if we can find one.