Keeping It Legal

New Here, Have Question About Digital FID

I just paid my $9 today (For my Firearm ID and Handgun Permits).  The lady who took my payment said everything is digital now.  How do I know if I actually have a Firearm ID?  I haven't received an email yet saying that I was approved or any type of document that says I have one.  I didn't even receive a receipt for the $9.  Hopefully someone out there can ease my worries on this subject.

According to the NJSP website:

For all applications submitted after 4/1/2021, the applicant will be able to download and print the Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) from their approval email. E-FID applicant will NOT appear at their Issuing Police Departments to retrieve any firearms licensing documents.

For all applications submitted after October 1, 2020 which include "Permits to Purchase a Handgun", the approval email will serve as necessary document for handgun permit execution. These applicants will no longer receive a paper permit to purchase a handgun from their Issuing Police Departments.

On 5/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, Grapeshot said:

According to the NJSP website:

For all applications submitted after 4/1/2021, the applicant will be able to download and print the Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) from their approval email. E-FID applicant will NOT appear at their Issuing Police Departments to retrieve any firearms licensing documents.

Hmm.

So now there is no FID card to potentially lose because its just a printable download file and no physical FID is issued?

1 hour ago, Redeye65 said:

Once a P2P has been used, you get an email to print out the paperwork which is only good for 90 days to print. Would imagine an EFID card has a similar 90 day time frame.  

Okay, but if no physical FID card is issued then technically it can't be "lost".

Does losing the printed copy of your electronic E-FID constitute losing an FID and having to reapply?  

What happens if I never get the email? I was told I had one and could purchase a firearm. Supposedly it was "in the system" and the seller could pull it up electronically. My career is in IT and I usually trust in electronic documents, however, this is NJ (lifelong resident). I figure I'll give it a week before I go to the Police Station again. This means of course having to take time off from work since there aren't any convenient hours for the actual public that needs their public officials.

1 hour ago, Reno964 said:

Welcome

Thank you

Aren't you supposed to have your FID card with you if you're transporting a hand gun? What kinda shit show will this start if you're stopped on the way to the range and you tell the LEO, "Oh it's on line". My wife just got her FID and I tried to shrink it down a bit so she could put it in her wallet. Better have good eyesight to read it. Not everyone has a smartphone to put it on.

4 hours ago, Keeping It Legal said:

What happens if I never get the email? I was told I had one and could purchase a firearm. Supposedly it was "in the system" and the seller could pull it up electronically. My career is in IT and I usually trust in electronic documents, however, this is NJ (lifelong resident). I figure I'll give it a week before I go to the Police Station again. This means of course having to take time off from work since there aren't any convenient hours for the actual public that needs their public officials.

Thank you

To print out your P2P you go to the fars web site input your last name and and date of birth, maybe the FID works similar?

4 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

Aren't you supposed to have your FID card with you if you're transporting a hand gun? What kinda shit show will this start if you're stopped on the way to the range and you tell the LEO, "Oh it's on line". My wife just got her FID and I tried to shrink it down a bit so she could put it in her wallet. 

Is a photocopy of an E-FID even considered valid in those instances where it must be presented?

And who the f wants their FID on their smart phone in the first place? My FID card stays home unless needed.

4 hours ago, Bomber said:

Is a photocopy of an E-FID even considered valid in those instances where it must be presented?

And who the f wants their FID on their smart phone in the first place? My FID card stays home unless needed.

If you carry anything in your vehicle that is firearms-related, you should have at least a copy of your FPID card with you at all times.

It's wallet-sized proof that you're a good guy and have been issued one and could change a side-of-the-road stop from degenerating into a trip to the station instead of just a short delay in your travels.

IMHO

To the OP . . . OK, you applied for your FID last Thursday?  I'm writing this on Tuesday.  You have about 8 to 26 weeks to go.

You should get an email when your references respond and an email when your "background" check (the electronic part) is completed.  After that, you will not get step by step updates and your application can sit on desks for weeks.  I would give it about six weeks and then contact your local PD for an update.

Others . . . Since you can print a copy of your eFID, I suspect that you should still have a printed copy with you when transporting weapons.  This might be little bit like back in the 80's when the state made it mandatory for boats over 16 feet to carry a flare gun (counts as a handgun!) but didn't modify the law to allow them to be transported to marinas to be put on the boat.

Thanks EdF. I applied about 3 weeks ago at this point. I received the emails regarding the references and then went to get fingerprinted. It was about a week after fingerprinting that I received a phone call from my local pd. I paid the required fee and was told that my efid should be in my email later in the day if it wasn't already. She also told me that the 2 permits would expire in 6 months. I guess I made the assumption that everything was good. I will wait until next week and call for an update.

3 hours ago, Keeping It Legal said:

I paid the required fee and was told that my efid should be in my email later in the day if it wasn't already.

This seems awfully quick.  I they told that you might already have the email, I wouldn't wait to contact them.  There MAY still be bugs in the process and it might be that your local PD doesn't know how to close out the investigation properly.

6 minutes ago, EdF said:

This seems awfully quick.  I they told that you might already have the email, I wouldn't wait to contact them.  There MAY still be bugs in the process and it might be that your local PD doesn't know how to close out the investigation properly.

My bride just got her FID. Took almost exactly 4 weeks. And thats was with her forgetting to make the finger print appointment. Made the appointment and less then a week later had her permit. If my town can do it, the ones that don't are dragging their feet. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Keeping It Legal said:

I received a phone call from my local pd. I paid the required fee and was told that my efid should be in my email later in the day if it wasn't already. I guess I made the assumption that everything was good. I will wait until next week and call for an update.

Why wait?? :no2:

Call tomorrow. She said it would be in your e-mail a week ago.

I would've been on the phone the next morning.

I finally received it at 6:01AM today!!  I downloaded the efid, stored it somewhere safe and printed it. I applied on April 19th and received the permit on May 14th. Seems that electronic is the fast way to go. Thanks to everyone for your support and suggestions. It's great to have this type of community for something so important.