GDITurbo77

Transporting guns in your car

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

The new FPICs are electronic only, so they would have to accept an electronic FPIC. Whether they will accept a scan of a physical card, I'm not sure.

There is a statute that requires the LEO to assume you do not have any permit until you produce it to prove otherwise. Therefore, no you are not required to have it with you, but it does nothing for you until you produce it.

I carry mine in my wallet - I even had to show it last weekend during a traffic stop because I hadn't covered my rifle case with a moving blanket. The NJSP Trooper also saw my belt/holster rig in the back seat and asked if I had a "um..." whilst making a pistol motion with his left hand. I told him I was traveling directly home from a range and never answered whether there was a handgun in the car or not.

regardless of what vehicle i'm driving, i ALWAYS cover my stuff. i'm not inviting that convo with possibly anti-gun people

41 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Can you quote the statute that requires police to assume you don't have an FID?Not trying to sharpshoot you only trying to learn.

No problem.

2C:39-2.  Presumptions
b.  Licenses and permits.    When the legality of a person's conduct under  this chapter depends on his possession of a license or permit or on his having  registered with or given notice to a particular person or agency, it shall be  presumed that he does not possess such a license or permit or has not  registered or given the required notice, until he establishes the contrary.

43 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Police in NJ can query your FID like they do your drivers license.  Then they know you have one.  Of course it's easier if you just show it.

They can also look up your vehicle registration and insurance status, but it is still an offense to be unable to produce your registration card or proof of insurance. This is a true example of a victimless crime.

44 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

You would have been covered by the exemption of coming from the range even if you didn't have an FID.

Agreed, but it is simpler to produce my FPIC than to prove where I had come from and where I was going.

45 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

You weren't doing anything wrong with or without.

I was breaking the speed limit, so...

45 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Your story about being stopped proved a point.  If you don't want to answer questions don't leave your rifle case or holster in the open.

That's my normal MO, but failed to execute correctly this time.

3 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

- I even had to show it last weekend during a traffic stop because I hadn't covered my rifle case with a moving blanket. The NJSP Trooper also saw my belt/holster rig in the back seat and asked if I had a "um..." whilst making a pistol motion with his left hand. I told him I was traveling directly home from a range and never answered whether there was a handgun in the car or not.

Where did you get stopped? 

Good answer to the questioning by the way. Doesn't give him much PC and you didn't volunteer anymore info than necessary. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

They can also look up your vehicle registration and insurance status, but it is still an offense to be unable to produce your registration card or proof of insurance. This is a true example of a victimless crime.

Yep. No doubt they can run you and find your FID status instantly. 

BTW- In the past not having proof of insurance or registration use carry a very small fine.

Now when they have easy instant access to everything about your vehicle N.J. democrats jacked up the fine to $125 for not having it in the car. Total money grab. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

it shall be  presumed that he does not possess such a license or permit or has not  registered or given the required notice, until he establishes the contrary.

Yes.

The legal term is known as the Presumption of Guilt.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Where did you get stopped? 

Good answer to the questioning by the way. Doesn't give him much PC and you didn't volunteer anymore info than necessary. 

I pulled into a parking lot just off RT31 about 250 yards from my house - off the road so he could exit his vehicle and approach without being concerned about passing traffic. The rear windows of my SUV are tinted so I habitually roll all the windows down and rest my hands on the steering wheel until the LEO has had a chance to scan the inside of the vehicle. I only reach for documentation after being asked. I also greet the officer with a cheery "Good morning/afternoon/evening" and a smile - that usually makes them pause because they expect the driver to be surly and sets the mood for a more friendly interaction from the beginning. I'm pretty sure I knocked this guy off his normal spiel because he asked me where I worked twice even though nobody even hinted that I was doing anything related to work, and it was a weekend. It all worked out well and he let me go with only a warning.

ETA: When they ask where I have been or where I'm going I give the name of the town - it's truthful and can be answered again in more detail if they inquire. In this particular instance, as my home was so close and I did have firearms in the car I said I was going home, just around the corner as saying the name of the town we were in would have been weird.

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

No problem.

b.  Licenses and permits.    When the legality of a person's conduct under  this chapter depends on his possession of a license or permit or on his having  registered with or given notice to a particular person or agency, it shall be  presumed that he does not possess such a license or permit or has not  registered or given the required notice, until he establishes the contrary.

Under the circumstances you stated you were legal with or without a FID as I've said.  The only time I've ever heard of a LEO asking for a license or a permit is when the person was carrying a handgun.

They can also look up your vehicle registration and insurance status, but it is still an offense to be unable to produce your registration card or proof of insurance. This is a true example of a victimless crime..

Yes but there is no license or permit required to transport to and from the range.

Agreed, but it is simpler to produce my FPIC than to prove where I had come from and where I was going.

True.

I was breaking the speed limit, so...

We were talking about transporting firearms not motor vehicle laws.

That's my normal MO, but failed to execute correctly this time.

Glad it worked out for you.

Your story proves those who profess you should tell the police nothing are wrong.  You acted correctly are were on your way.

• Thanks 1