1LtCAP

remington 870 tactical

has...well had......xs sights on it. front sight is dovetailed into a bit of a riser on the barrel. it fell off. picked up a trijicon front sight for it. i know how to put it in.....sorta. but....how do i put it in and ensure that it won't fall off again? is there a way to stake these when installed? or possibly locktite?

35 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

has...well had......xs sights on it. front sight is dovetailed into a bit of a riser on the barrel. it fell off. picked up a trijicon front sight for it. i know how to put it in.....sorta. but....how do i put it in and ensure that it won't fall off again? is there a way to stake these when installed? or possibly locktite?

Red loctite will serve you well.

6 minutes ago, Bully said:

Red loctite will serve you well.

Red loctite!!!

I've used it on many slides and it's like frigging glue... I've actually had a test fitment perfect and applied red loctite and couldn't get it all the way centered. Was a bitch to get back off and refit. Hasn't moved since. 

8 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

awesome! red locktite it is. i use that stuff at work. the sight fits decently.......so this struff'll lock it in for me.........in theory

No amount of glue is a substitute for proper mechanical fit of two metal parts....

Just relying on 'glue' to fill gaps etc...to do so is rube goldberg....

If the dovetail slot is smaller than the sight base you file the sight base for mechanical fitment..

If the dovetail slot is too big, you get a bigger sight base and file to fit.

Once the firearm is zeroed, you stake the dovetail slot on one or both sides.

Ymmv

6 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

No amount of glue is a substitute for proper mechanical fit of two metal parts....

Just relying on 'glue' to fill gaps etc...to do so is rube goldberg....

If the dovetail slot is smaller than the sight base you file the sight base for mechanical fitment..

If the dovetail slot is too big, you get a bigger sight base and file to fit.

Once the firearm is zeroed, you stake the dovetail slot on one or both sides.

Ymmv

now a question on staking these. when i stake something on a vehicle, it's normally not visible...most common is a restrictor on an egr valve.....i just use a punch or chisel and give it a good pop. if i do that on this sight in addition to the locktite, it's gonna look kinda shitty.....how's it done properly on these?

4 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

now a question on staking these. when i stake something on a vehicle, it's normally not visible...most common is a restrictor on an egr valve.....i just use a punch or chisel and give it a good pop. if i do that on this sight in addition to the locktite, it's gonna look kinda shitty.....how's it done properly on these?

Take a small punch....  find edge of dovetail...move some metal into the sight base.  Done

The thing is the sight base must be fit properly to the dovetail...without that nothing works right

the sight fitted(right word?) snugly. it actually seemed to go in slightly easier with the loctite. i'm gonna use a punch and stake it tomorrow, hopefully not making it too ugly.

then....for no other reason than "i can", i'm ordering a bayonet lug adapter for it......because.....well.....i can. :)

5 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

the sight fitted(right word?) snugly. it actually seemed to go in slightly easier with the loctite. i'm gonna use a punch and stake it tomorrow, hopefully not making it too ugly.

then....for no other reason than "i can", i'm ordering a bayonet lug adapter for it......because.....well.....i can. :)

If you pushed it in with your fingers, it is not fitted properly