Keeping It Legal

First Time Buyer, What is the actual process?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere (I'm sure it has but searching was taking some time).  I just received my eFID and (2) P2P.  I know want to purchase a handgun and am confused as to what the actual process is.  It seems (from reading on here) that if I purchase online I can't just have it shipped to my home, I have to use a FFL?

1. Do I have to contact the FFL first? How do I pick or find an FFL near me?

2. I also saw that I can purchase from Cabela's (Bas Pro) and they will ship to the Atlantic City location, would I be able to pick it up from there or do I still need a FFL involved? 

3. Are rifle purchases different (do they need an FFL involved)?

I'm trying to navigate the complexity of purchasing a firearm in NJ as well as figure out the true cost since there seem to be a lot of hidden fees which seem to add upwards of a $100 to the final price tag.  Any help would be much appreciated.

You cannot have a firearm (new to you) shipped directly to your home from anywhere.

1. Some online retailers have lists of pre-approved FFLs that they have already verified to be legitimate. So the retailer will ship to one of them without clarification. If the FFL you want to use is not known to the retailer, the retailer will require the FFL to at least send a copy of their license prior to shipment. But, you should always check with an FFL, pre-approved or not, to confirm they're willing to accept the shipment and transfer it to you, and to give them a heads up that the firearm arriving from your chosen retailer is intended for you. Sometimes shipment documentation is incomplete. And of course you want to know what your FFL will charge for the transfer.

2. If Cabela's in AC sells firearms, they're already an FFL.

3. No, and yes.

As for who to use, I'll let someone on the board from Camden County make suggestions. I'm way up north. Meantime take a look at our Vendor forum on this board and see if any are close to you.

1. Do I have to contact the FFL first? How do I pick or find an FFL near me?

I would suggest contacting the FFL first.  Some don't like accepting transfers, some don't like dealing with certain online vendors, some charge more, some charge less.  Being friendly with your local FFL is a good thing.  They can help you with more than transfers.

You will have to supply information about the FFL to the online vendor.  The gun will be shipped directly to the FFL who will log it in and contact to go do paperwork.  After you fill out paperwork, they will run the NICS check and let you know when that is complete.  You then go back and pick up the gun.  The only difference between long guns and handguns is the paperwork.

2. I also saw that I can purchase from Cabela's (Bas Pro) and they will ship to the Atlantic City location, would I be able to pick it up from there or do I still need a FFL involved? 

Are you SURE that Cabela's will still do this?  I'm not certain.  They ARE an FFL so you need them but you don't need ANOTHER FFL.

3. Are rifle purchases different (do they need an FFL involved)?

As noted, the only difference between a long gun and a handgun is the paperwork.  The rest of the process is the same.

Depending on what you are buying, you may have hundreds of dollars in fees and work that you need to pay for.

If you, for example, buy a Glock that ships with 15 or 17 round magazines, some online vendors may not ship ANY magazines and you will need to buy NJ compliant magazines elsewhere.  Or, they may ship the magazines and have to have them "blocked" by the FFL.  This can cost $25 a piece.  On the other hand, if you buy an AR online and it's not already NJ compliant, you may have to pay to have the flash suppressor pinned and welded and the collapsible stock pinned before you can take it home.  There may be $200 worth or work needed.

Vote Republican . . .   

You will only pay additional fees if you are buying the gun online and shipping the gun to a local FFL. You will pay the online retailer for the gun & shipping. You will pay the local FFL a transfer fee and NICS. If you go this route, figure on paying an additional $100 or so for shipping and transfer fee.

If you buy from a local FFL, you will pay for the gun, a NICS check and sales tax. Most shops in NJ have built in the price of compliance & magazine work.

Thanks everyone for the info. Still seems somewhat complicated if I have to make multiple trips.  Maybe I can find a FFL in Camden County with low prices.  I see that I can buy certain models online at Cabela's and sent to the Atlantic City location.  That might be the simplest thing for me to do n my first transaction.  I have two P2P that are good for about 6 months. I Have a busy work schedule and just want to get something under $300 that doesn't require multiple trips to fill out in triplicat

On 5/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, Keeping It Legal said:

Thanks everyone for the info. Still seems somewhat complicated if I have to make multiple trips.  Maybe I can find a FFL in Camden County with low prices.  I see that I can buy certain models online at Cabela's and sent to the Atlantic City location.  That might be the simplest thing for me to do n my first transaction. 

You're going to drive all the way to Atlantic City just to buy from Cabela's?

I'd suggest looking up FFL's in your area. You may want to start another post asking for FFL recommendations and give them a call. 

its not that complicated and has the option of shopping for the best deal online which can more than offset transfer fees. 

Try https://gun.deals to get a list of online vendors and prices.

https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/index you can look up FFLs near you that will do internet transfers here. 

It's always a good Idea to contact the FFL before you order and have it delivered. If you can't get ahold of them ahead of time, you will have problems getting ahold of them after they have your stuff. But even so it's a good idea to let them know something is coming and to make sure their listed rates are current so there are no surprises. 

1 hour ago, Keeping It Legal said:

Thanks everyone for the info. Still seems somewhat complicated if I have to make multiple trips.  Maybe I can find a FFL in Camden County with low prices.  I see that I can buy certain models online at Cabela's and sent to the Atlantic City location.  That might be the simplest thing for me to do n my first transaction.  I have two P2P that are good for about 6 months. I Have a busy work schedule and just want to get something under $300 that doesn't require multiple trips to fill out in triplicat

What handgun are you looking at for your first purchase? You may want to raise the bar a bit and look at handguns in the $400-$800 range unless you’re looking for a small .22. Have you gone to a range to try out a few pistols? You can buy something online just to get it home and hate it. I would suggest the first purchase be from a local gun shop unless you have shot the pistol before you order it. 

Every hand guns feels different, I love the look of the CZ Rami but when I handled one in a store, the trigger was terrible, felt like it took 10 lbs of pressure to pull it. Wanted a Beretta Tomcat, looked for a small gun in a small caliber to keep around the house, handled one in the store and for the life of me I couldn’t see the sights. Don’t just buy a handgun blind, you may not like it one bit.  

3 hours ago, Keeping It Legal said:

Still seems somewhat complicated if I have to make multiple trips. 

You're not likely to avoid two trips no matter you go or how you buy.  You will have to be there once to fill out paperwork, then the FFL will do the NICS check.  These can take two, three . . . five days . . . to run the check.  Only then do you go back and pick up the weapon.  

19 minutes ago, Keeping It Legal said:

Thanks again everyone for your responses. Silky question, does the FFL have to be in NJ? I ask because I work in Delaware and it would be much easier for me from a time perspective.

For a handgun transfer the FFL used must be in a State where you have a residence (do you have a home in Delaware as well as NJ).

Long guns may be transferred by an FFL in another State, but must adhere to the laws of both States i.e. you must complete NJ's "certificate of eligiblity" plus whatever the laws are in the State where you are doing the transfer. Also the firearm must be legal in the State of the recipient. i.e. you cannot legally acquire a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip in Delaware as that is illegal to possess in NJ.

Private sales between people who do not reside in the same State must use an FFL for the transfer. NJ has a it's own law that almost all private transfers must go through an FFL.

20 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

What handgun are you looking at for your first purchase? You may want to raise the bar a bit and look at handguns in the $400-$800 range unless you’re looking for a small .22. Have you gone to a range to try out a few pistols? You can buy something online just to get it home and hate it. I would suggest the first purchase be from a local gun shop unless you have shot the pistol before you order it. 

Every hand guns feels different, I love the look of the CZ Rami but when I handled one in a store, the trigger was terrible, felt like it took 10 lbs of pressure to pull it. Wanted a Beretta Tomcat, looked for a small gun in a small caliber to keep around the house, handled one in the store and for the life of me I couldn’t see the sights. Don’t just buy a handgun blind, you may not like it one bit.  

Thanks Redeye65.  I have gone to the range in the past and fired a few 22's, 9MM and 45's.  The one that I liked is why out of my range. It was a Kimber that I believe runs over $1K. The MP9 wasn't bad but I really did enjoy using the berretta U22 neos. I also tried out a few shotguns and rifles (including a fully automatic one, in PA).  Solely from a standpoint of accuracy and fun,  The Ruger 10/22 was my favorite rifle. I'm looking at the Walther PK380 as my first handgun purchase.  I think that it will be something that my wife and I will enjoy taking out on the range.

Definitely try out the Walther before buying, my wife fell in love with the M&P 380 EZ, she is very small with small hands, the M&P was much easier for her to manipulate. She also wanted a .22 once I told her how much the .380 ammo was and that once she went through tho 1k rounds I bought for her she was on her own. She tried the Walther .22 but ultimately felt the Ruger SR22 was a better fit for her, she loves that gun also.

The Ruger 10/22 is an awesome rifle, everyone should own one, it’s a ton of fun to shoot and doesn’t break the bank to go through a couple hundred rounds.  

• Like 1

If you're in the market for an affordable .22 handgun look at the Taurus TX22. It is full sized with good ergonomics and a relatively decent trigger. The SR22 trigger is much less desirable and a way smaller package which makes it harder to aim - not a great thing for a new shooter.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!  Since I'm having such great suggestions here I have another sort of related question to my original one. I work in Delaware (where it is completely legal to but pellet guns and pellet rifles) and purchased a break barrel pellet rifle and a CO2 pellet gun.  I did so since there is a free outdoor range near the office that we go to frequently.  I leave them locked up in a drawer in my office.  Now that I have a FID can I bring them home?  If not, then what do I have to do so that I can bring them home? Thanks in advance.

you can bring them home. BUT...

Make sure they do not have an integral suppressor. NJ has it's head up its ass on that one.  The federal government just needs them to not be removable. But since in NJ they are a firearm, yay you are in possession of a supressor that is illegal. 

9 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

This is a good read on pellet and BB guns in NJ.

If it is a pistol, looks like it stays in Delaware, unless you plan on somehow transferring it to NJ with a P2P.

https://madisonnjlaw.com/pellet-bb-guns-and-airsoft-guns-in-new-jersey/

You need to learn to read more better. May I suggest The Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.

the article says 

BB Gun Pistols: Pellet or BB gun pistols are considered firearms in New Jersey. Therefore in order to purchase one, not only must an individual have a Firearms Identification Card, but they must also have Pistol Purchaser Permit. Additionally, in order to actually carry the pellet or bb gun pistol on their person, one must have a carry permit under N.J.S. 2C:58-4.

You need an pistol permit to buy one... in nj. Its not a firearm in another state and doesn't require an FFL. The only reason NJ laws on transfers are followed at all in other states is because the federal government says so. So there i no need to follow NJ law in buying a non firearms in another state. 

It also says that if you carry it on your person you need a carry permit. Just like a pistol in NJ. Transporting it like any other firearm between exempted locations is not an issue. That does not require a carry permit. 

You can buy it out of state and bring it into the state so long as once you cross the border, you are treating it as if it were a firearm. 

The linked article is also wrong that you need a FPID to possess a long gun as well. You need it to purchase one. If you owned guns in another state and come here, you do not need to get a FPID. If you inherit them you do not need to get a FPID provided the inheritance meets the letter of the law to be an exempted transfer. The FPID will permit you to qualify for more exempted behavior. But for bringing it home and taking it to the range, you don't need it. Same for taking it home and shooting it at home if, as pointed out in the article, your home is someplace where that does not violate discharge ordinances. 

And you wonder why new gun owners frown from participating on this forum, or maybe you don’t. Let’s start off the reply with a sarcastic slam, instead of explaining the law which obviously you know like the back of your hand, and I evidently misunderstood it. Either way, again I find myself sorry for trying to participate.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

And you wonder why new gun owners frown from participating on this forum, or maybe you don’t. Let’s start off the reply with a sarcastic slam, instead of explaining the law which obviously you know like the back of your hand, and I evidently misunderstood it. Either way, again I find myself sorry for trying to participate.  

It’s nj. If you are seeking a sarcasm free life, you need to move. Similar if you want easy to understand gun laws. 

• FacePalm 1

FYI - don't know if it's mentioned yet,but almost all online r firearm stores will have a list of FFLs they deal with.  Simy put in your zip code and "PRESTO!!" a list of FFLs in your area will pop up.

Be sure to check prices before you choice an FFL as they can vary GREATLY.  Would really suck to choose one and later find out they charge over $100 for a transfer when another near you charges much less.

Additional FYI - You are trying to buy a firearm at literally the worst time.  Expect to pay much more than you would during "normal" times.  Everyone is buying guns and ammo.  Prices are at all time highs.

Good luck with your search.  You may be better off finding a local FFL (not a big chain) that's has A LOT more personal service.  

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

It’s nj. If you are seeking a sarcasm free life, you need to move. Similar if you want easy to understand gun laws. 

Silly me to think I could join a forum to learn and understand firearms in NJ with helpful polite adults, what was I thinking. Oh, I forgot... This is New Jersey.

Keeping it Legal, good luck with your pellet guns, raz-0 is more than willing to help you with your questions. 

6 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

Silly me to think I could join a forum to learn and understand firearms in NJ with helpful polite adults, what was I thinking. Oh, I forgot... This is New Jersey.

Keeping it Legal, good luck with your pellet guns, raz-0 is more than willing to help you with your questions. 

You will also note before you posted your link I posted the right answer including the suppressor bit. Which you then contradicted while posting an article that agreed with me. But started I was wrong. If you don’t expect some ribbing after that, the internet might not be your thing. 

18 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

You will also note before you posted your link I posted the right answer including the suppressor bit. Which you then contradicted while posting an article that agreed with me. But started I was wrong. If you don’t expect some ribbing after that, the internet might not be your thing. 

You are right about the integral suppressors that are now in most BB and pellet rifles.  That alone does make that rifle illegal here!  If I go to PA or Delaware and see a BB or pellet pistol I like or a rifle without a sound suppressor, I buying it!  It goes in my trunk and I go straight home praying all the way! 

@Redeye65 raz-0 was overly sarcastic IMHO, however, you must understand that NJ is a VERY confusing state where gun laws are concerned and we all tend to get impatient with newer people who ask for advice on this very complicated subject and then try to argue with us!  Many of us here have MUCH more knowledge of NJ gun law than most cops and lawyers do!

If you decide to gather your toys and go home, it will truly be your loss because this forum has more to offer than anywhere else in this pathetic state!

Come'on, folks! We have a lot of new gun owners in NJ looking for clarity on our complex and often confusing laws. This is an opportunity to educate. And most of us do instinctively try to jump in and be helpful, which is great. In those cases where someone gets something wrong (in their haste)... let's just politely correct the information. No sarcasm/personal insults necessary. Be better, pls!  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for jumping in on this topic. Debate is good, that shows passion. We should be passionate about gun laws and how they can affect us. It's also sad that in NJ  something like a $40 CO2 pistol should cause division. I have to admit that this is much more complex than I thought it would be. I'm glad that this forum exists to help navigate the NJ highway of gun laws.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Additional FYI - You are trying to buy a firearm at literally the worst time.  Expect to pay much more than you would during "normal" times.  Everyone is buying guns and ammo.  Prices are at all time highs.

Aktually, the high (so far) was about three months ago.

Prices have come down, albeit still up there on most items.