CAL. .30 M1

Hi Power MkIII

Israeli surplus HP.

Great mechanics and bore, finish not so much

Detail strip ....  assess parts....

Remove black paint...clean up dings and dehorn.

Remove sharp edges at magwell, slight bevel.

Polish out balance of parts, degrease and refinish.  Add a touch more hardener for some sheen, dry and then bake.

Waiting on - ambi safety, night sights, muzzle reface, polish chamber and ramp, new springs, ring hammer and of course lanyard ring...

xTZmBDs.jpg

ZdOBjZC.jpg

ND6uUkp.jpg

qo1DH1n.jpg

Vk6Hihj.jpg

8VBV5h5.jpg

yCAiKmK.jpg

HA0LUHS.jpg

ToxJT4X.jpg

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Longranger said:

Nice work!  What’s your refinishing process?  It looks terrific.

Thank you !....

Scotch brite pad and elbow grease...  took the black paint off ...kinda easy.

Then a very fine flat knife sharpening file to take out surface scratches....  and needle files to do the dehorn etc.

Once that's done i go back with a very fine pad and rub it down...  then a cloth with fine grit polishing compound.

Then i hit it all with brake cleaner...then bake it to get any residual oils out...  brake cleaner again...then a final dose of the true strip spray...

Then it is all new dry gloves and mask and hang it..  the finish portion is the fastest and easiest..the prep is the hard part.  :)

Thanks for asking...!

• Like 1

Very nice work. More recently, I picked up a police surplus S&W 915 from JW Imports off of gun broker. The dirtiest gun I have every received but it looks like it has some stories to tell for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longranger said:

The hardener in your original post is what caught my eye.  Epoxy paint?  HVLP airbrush?  

Folks hate duracoat.....  i find it very easy to work with and it does last....  as with any finish if you beat the crap put of it it will fail...

Yes simple 1960' airbrush setup i got from my father in law years ago..works perfectly....

I have found that lighter outflow, while taking longer to cover affords nice thin coats as you proceed...with no running.

25 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

Very nice work. More recently, I picked up a police surplus S&W 915 from JW Imports off of gun broker. The dirtiest gun I have every received but it looks like it has some stories to tell for sure. 

I did a friends beat to snot colt police positive...looks great today.

Ambi saftey on backorder...smh.

Ring hammer hasn't arrived....smh.

Refacing tools have not arrived...

Trigger work, polish ramp, polish chamber, install night sights...all new springs....

Left the slide stop the way i got it for a bit of nostalgia with how it aged...as well as hammer.

A nice fighting pistol ....

e3trwyk.jpg

C39MpQ6.jpg

meWmDuc.jpg

UjAQvQL.jpg

• Like 1