Old Glock guy

Adjusting shotgun POI

I have a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel and a front bead (replaced by  a Hi-Viz dot) that consistently shoots high.  This is not something new.  Pretty sure it's been doing it for the several years that I've had it, but I finally got around to quantifying it.  Slugs are a little over a foot high at 15 yards, and buckshot is 8-10" high at 10 yards.  I don't think this is operator error, based on consistent groupings and my experiences with other shotguns.

As I see it, my options are these:

1. Remember to always aim low.

2. Replace the front bead with a taller one to lower the barrel.  (Is that even possible?)

3. Install a rail and place an optic.

Anyone have any further thoughts or suggestions?  Also, for those who are more knowledgeable than I am, I would appreciate any thoughts on how the shot could pattern so much higher than where the front bead, and hence the barrel, are pointed.

26 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I have a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel and a front bead (replaced by  a Hi-Viz dot) that consistently shoots high.  This is not something new.  Pretty sure it's been doing it for the several years that I've had it, but I finally got around to quantifying it.  Slugs are a little over a foot high at 15 yards, and buckshot is 8-10" high at 10 yards.  I don't think this is operator error, based on consistent groupings and my experiences with other shotguns.

As I see it, my options are these:

1. Remember to always aim low.

2. Replace the front bead with a taller one to lower the barrel.  (Is that even possible?)

3. Install a rail and place an optic.

Anyone have any further thoughts or suggestions?  Also, for those who are more knowledgeable than I am, I would appreciate any thoughts on how the shot could pattern so much higher than where the front bead, and hence the barrel, are pointed.

1. and 2. seem problematic in that they will require you to always remember to aim differently than you normally would.   3. should work fine.

Shotgun POI adjustments are usually done through stock fitting, but that's a specialty of which I have little knowledge.  

When you mount the gun and sight along the barrel do you see any of the ramp leading to the bead at the front? If you see a lot of the ramp the stock is too low in your shoulder and your eye is too high over the bore.

Think of the action as a pivot point. If it is shooting high, the front is too high and the back is too low. By raising the butt and getting a higher weld on your cheek you will find that helps with your issue.

If you cannot comfortably shoot like that it may be the stock design just doesn't fit you. There are after market stocks for the Mossy, but I couldn't advise which one might make things better for you - I don't have one or know Mossbergs that well.

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

When you mount the gun and sight along the barrel do you see any of the ramp leading to the bead at the front? If you see a lot of the ramp the stock is too low in your shoulder and your eye is too high over the bore.

Think of the action as a pivot point. If it is shooting high, the front is too high and the back is too low. By raising the butt and getting a higher weld on your cheek you will find that helps with your issue.

If you cannot comfortably shoot like that it may be the stock design just doesn't fit you. There are after market stocks for the Mossy, but I couldn't advise which one might make things better for you - I don't have one or know Mossbergs that well.

I agree 100%. Shotguns are all about fit. All of my hunting shotguns have been adjusted to me though adjustment of the LOP, drop, and cast. A lot of shotguns come with shims for making these adjustments. I never look at my bead when shooting at a moving target. A properly fitted shotgun should shoot where you are looking when it is mounted.