eyeinstine

Lee .45 acp Factory Crimp Die (FCD)

This shortage on everything firearm related is getting very old! Ive been searching for a Lee .45 FCD for awhile now. Not in stock anywhere?! Anyone have any leads on one? Or one they want to part with?

Or maybe someone near by that i could borrow one for a short bit just to experiment a little?  Having some chambering issues with my LRN .45's and ive been reading up and finding people use this FCD on .45acp often..

I've had good luck at Midway USA by using their notify feature.  You have to act fast though, if you get a notification in the morning and don't see it until the afternoon, you are probably SOL.

Does the die have to be Lee?  Is there any reason you cant use a taper crimp instead of factory?

22 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I've had good luck at Midway USA by using their notify feature.  You have to act fast though, if you get a notification in the morning and don't see it until the afternoon, you are probably SOL.

Does the die have to be Lee?  Is there any reason you cant use a taper crimp instead of factory?

Yea, ill have to set up some alerts.. Just seems mid mornings is when everyone restocks online and alerts go out; right when im working and not usually able to stop and mess with the phone... :ireful:

My 45 reloads with cast RN bullets are getting a buldge at the base of the bullet when seated in the brass. My new 1911 clone has a really tight barrel and im having issues fully chambering; even though the rounds pass the plunk test on a midway tester. My research finds its somewhat a common problem and a LFC die sizes down the case and lead bullet just enough to allow it to chamber in the gun.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:43 AM, eyeinstine said:

Yea, ill have to set up some alerts.. Just seems mid mornings is when everyone restocks online and alerts go out; right when im working and not usually able to stop and mess with the phone... :ireful:

My 45 reloads with cast RN bullets are getting a buldge at the base of the bullet when seated in the brass. My new 1911 clone has a really tight barrel and im having issues fully chambering; even though the rounds pass the plunk test on a midway tester. My research finds its somewhat a common problem and a LFC die sizes down the case and lead bullet just enough to allow it to chamber in the gun.

That's because your bullets are not sized...properly.....and/or your flaring the case mouth too much and your seating die is incorrectly setup.

The 45 spaces on the case mouth...if you try to crimp it...your into the barrel a bit...that's bad.

• Agree 1

I think you’re looking for the Full Length Sizing Die, right? The Factory Crimp Die is a collet crimper for rifle cartridges I thought. 

Ever since I moved away from jacketed bullets I don’t seat and [taper!] crimp in the same step so I like the FLSD. I’d let you borrow mine but unfortunately you’re far AF.

but if your reloads pass the midway case gauge but won’t plunk in your barrel wouldn’t that suggest one or the other is out of spec?

6 hours ago, Shocker said:

I think you’re looking for the Full Length Sizing Die, right? The Factory Crimp Die is a collet crimper for rifle cartridges I thought. 

Ever since I moved away from jacketed bullets I don’t seat and [taper!] crimp in the same step so I like the FLSD. I’d let you borrow mine but unfortunately you’re far AF.

but if your reloads pass the midway case gauge but won’t plunk in your barrel wouldn’t that suggest one or the other is out of spec?

The factory crimp die is not the same as the full length sizer.  Factory crimp returns the round to saami specs and will work in just about any chamber.  They also are not dependant on case length. They really work great.  I have one for all my pistol calibers

• Agree 1

I use it for my .45 acp reloads as well.

I have a pistol that was being very picky about LSWC bullets until I ran them through the Factory Crimp die.

Op should look for the 4 die sets as well.  I think some of them have the factory crimp die included...

In 45acp the crimp die is not needed for lswc....if the seating die is setup right as well as a properly sized lead bullet...you don't need it.

I would also advise against it.....  pistol cases that seat on the rim..38 357 44 etc...need a crimp specially magnum...  round that space on the shoulder...sure..especially when neck sizing only..

But 45 acp specifically need the case mouth to be where it is supposed to be to headspace the round...

The OP should inspect his chamber...saami is saami....  maybe he need a feed ramp and chamber polish....  look at the hood of the chamber...are there machine marks???

Is the bullet seated to the proper depth?

Has it been sized to spec?

Are the mouths of the cases your using free from burrs?

If the round is bulging the cases on insertion for final seating..that should tell you the bullet is not the right diameter and needs to be resized...

Whether i buy, cast my own, lube or now just powder coat...they all get re-sized in a star sizing die.

Ymmv 

1 hour ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

In 45acp the crimp die is not needed for lswc....if the seating die is setup right as well as a properly sized lead bullet...you don't need it.

I would also advise against it.....  pistol cases that seat on the rim..38 357 44 etc...need a crimp specially magnum...  round that space on the shoulder...sure..especially when neck sizing only..

But 45 acp specifically need the case mouth to be where it is supposed to be to headspace the round...

The OP should inspect his chamber...saami is saami....  maybe he need a feed ramp and chamber polish....  look at the hood of the chamber...are there machine marks???

Is the bullet seated to the proper depth?

Has it been sized to spec?

Are the mouths of the cases your using free from burrs?

If the round is bulging the cases on insertion for final seating..that should tell you the bullet is not the right diameter and needs to be resized...

Whether i buy, cast my own, lube or now just powder coat...they all get re-sized in a star sizing die.

Ymmv 

We are talking mild TAPER crimp here...not ROLL crimp.  All of my auto rounds get a taper crimp.

3 hours ago, Tunaman said:

We are talking mild TAPER crimp here...not ROLL crimp.  All of my auto rounds get a taper crimp.

I understand....and i don't do that...ymmv.

If the stock die is setup right and all things being equal and within tolerances...you don't need to...i never have...not saying that is wrong if it works for you.

The OP has other things going on that must be remedied first before any other things are looked at IMO.

• FacePalm 1

On 7/4/2021 at 7:18 AM, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Thanks.

I have a pistol that was being very picky about LSWC bullets until I ran them through the Factory Crimp die.

7 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Thanks.

I am glad another piece of hardware worked for you, that the original could have done !!  :drinks:

2 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

I am glad another piece of hardware worked for you, that the original could have done !!  :drinks:

Interesting statement.

With the equipment that I had in my reloading room, the additional piece of hardware was necessary.  Not sure which "original" you're referring to.

The bullets (approximately 5000 of them) were given to me, so I had not control of the sizing process.  I only had one .45acp seating die, and the adjustments I made with it were not addressing the issue for the gun in question.

31 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Interesting statement.

With the equipment that I had in my reloading room, the additional piece of hardware was necessary.  Not sure which "original" you're referring to.

The bullets (approximately 5000 of them) were given to me, so I had not control of the sizing process.  I only had one .45acp seating die, and the adjustments I made with it were not addressing the issue for the gun in question.

Curious....not looking argue just general question...did you mic the heads?

Given that the heads were probably oversized....

The seating die.....all things being equal....will perform the task at hand...  BUT....if yours heads are not sized correctly...  the crimp doe would help....