Kevin125

Ford F-150 Lightning EV

So I watched this review of the EV F-150.  I’m generally uninterested in EV’s because I think they are over priced and re-fueling takes a lot longer than 5 minutes.  Plus I just like the sound and feel of a combustion engine.

But it seems like Ford did a really good job with the EV F-150 Lightning.  The price, range, features not found in a regular F-150 make it pretty interesting.  Plus its fast as hell and it doesn’t look like a dumbass Cyber Truck.

The front trunk is a big plus.  One recurring issue with my Tundra when we head to airport with 4 people and luggage in the rain.  Yeah I know.  Covers are available.  But they are a pain in the ass.  Having a huge forward trunk is a good thing.

The range may actually be better than 450 miles if you’re not hauling a trailer or a load of brinks in the bed.  The charging process doesn’t go away but it becomes more practical for everything but a drive to Florida.

The price for the base model is $40k.  You can get it decked out and pay a huge price, but you don’t have to.

Plus, it also can be an alternate power source for at least a portion of your household AC power loads.  It has a 240 volt out. I didn’t see the full spec but thats probably 2 pole and can probably power something like a Reliant Electric 30 amp manual transfer switch with 10 breakers for a day or so based on what reviewer says.

So I’m still not excited about EVs in general, but the added bonuses and price point of this F-150 EV makes it at least worth a look.  For me it has little to do directly with the EVs aspect and much more to do with what it can do.

soooo.......you see that awesome 67 mustang gt390 fastback. it's in tenn. can you legitimately use this truck to drive from here to there and back again in a reasonable time?

battery operated vehicles have usefulness only for local driving.

• Agree 2

I'LL jump on a battery operated vehicle when they're sold for the exact same pricing as their gasoline counterparts, and when they can be "refueled" exactly as conveniently as their gasoline counterparts. the instant torque would be incredible. but.....just not feasible for now.

people keep forgetting that there were battery operated cars way back when we were first getting gasoline cars, and the gasoline cars won out. it wasn't the oil companies.....'cause there weren't any at that point. it was common sense.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

soooo.......you see that awesome 67 mustang gt390 fastback. it's in tenn. can you legitimately use this truck to drive from here to there and back again in a reasonable time?

battery operated vehicles have usefulness only for local driving.

I believe I said that. You are preaching to the choir.