Im debating grabbing a few more permits to potentially try building my own glock 17L.   I shot the glock 34 which I loved but I figure the longer the better right!  From googling and checking other glock forums it seems as though the best route is to either buy a glock 17 or a glock 34 and then purchase a 17L slide and barrel. Do i need a specific glock 17L frame? It seems the internals are the same? Im curious what type of fitting is generally needed after? Is it as easy as switching them out? 

Im still very new to pistols so I know more research is needed but I feel like a glock would be a good pistol to learn to "work on" since so many parts are interchangeable. 

Also threaded pistol barrels are legal correct? This is the latest info i found on that.

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at

least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor,

forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm;

2 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Im debating grabbing a few more permits to potentially try building my own glock 17L.   I shot the glock 34 which I loved but I figure the longer the better right!  From googling and checking other glock forums it seems as though the best route is to either buy a glock 17 or a glock 34 and then purchase a 17L slide and barrel. Do i need a specific glock 17L frame?  Im curious what type of fitting is generally needed after? Is it as easy as switching them out? 

Im still very new to pistols so I know more research is needed but I feel like a glock would be a good pistol to learn to "work on" since so many parts are interchangeable. 

Also threaded pistol barrels are legal correct? This is the latest info i found on that.

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at

least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor,

forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm;

Threaded barrels for a Glock are legal.

I was looking for a 17L slide for a project I was toying with but went with a G34 slide and a compensator. While I was looking, I signed up for a few websites for in stock notification.

I just got an email that Spinta has 17L slides in stock.

https://www.spintaprecision.com/glock-17l-gen-3-long-slide-nitride-bob-cut-window-version-2-sale/

Not sure where to find the barrels. I wasn’t that far in my search yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Threaded barrels for a Glock are legal.

I was looking for a 17L slide for a project I was toying with but went with a G34 slide and a compensator. While I was looking, I signed up for a few websites for in stock notification.

I just got an email that Spinta has 17L slides in stock.

https://www.spintaprecision.com/glock-17l-gen-3-long-slide-nitride-bob-cut-window-version-2-sale/

Not sure where to find the barrels. I wasn’t that far in my search yet.

This is one of the ones I was looking at as well. Jarvic inc makes barrels. I was thinking about putting a comp on this as well. 

Any idea if im accurate in saying these slides will fit a regular glock 17 or 34 frame? would you suggest one over the other? 

That slide will fit a Gen 3 full-size Glock frame (G17/22/34/35)

The frame is exactly the same for a G17/22 and a G34/35 - 100% interchangeable. 

They also have one milled for a RDS for an additional $60.

nice, so buy gen 3 glock 17 or 34, switch slide, barrel, add sights, and internals and good to go.  I think it could be a fun project. ill catch some grief but i kinda like the look of "tacticool" glocks. 

You can buy a stripped Glock OEM frame if you look around.

Check Big Tex Ordinance. They usually have them, as well as completion (parts) kits for frames and slides.

You won’t generally see a 17L as a “tactical” Glock. The 17L is the “competition” model. The 17L is hard to find holsters for. 

Glock 34/35 is the normal “Tactical” Glock - just throw a SF x300U, and a magwell on it - that’s what I carried when assigned to the SWAT team.

xoSkeIs.jpg
top left is my old SWAT gun. Top right was my steel Comp gun. Bottom middle is my version of a Roland Special (G19 with RDS, KKM Barrel and Comp)

If you are really looking for a modern “tactical” Glock, get a Glock 45 MOS and put a magwell, RDS and a threaded barrel w/comp on it. It will fit in G34 holster.

7v72FA2.jpg

• Like 1

You can buy a stripped Glock OEM frame if you look around.

Check Big Tex Ordinance. They usually have them, as well as completion (parts) kits for frames and slides.

You won’t generally see a 17L as a “tactical” Glock. The 17L is the “competition” model. The 17L is hard to find holsters for. 

Glock 34/35 is the normal “Tactical” Glock - just throw a SF x300U, and a magwell on it - that’s what I carried when assigned to the SWAT team.

If you are really looking for a modern “tactical” Glock, get a Glock 45 MOS and put a magwell, RDS and a threaded barrel w/comp on it. It will fit in G34 holster.

7v72FA2.jpg

That is pretty badass looking. one hell of a nightstand gun too. I love long slide guns though. seems the 45 is smaller.

It sounds like a glock 34 with a comp would be the easiest to both get and find holsters for.

So the idea is that a G45 (17 frame with a 19 slide) with a Comp makes it G34 sized. So it’s an integrally compensated G34. Fits into G34 holsters and was easy to source.

so that helps with recoil and follow up shots correct? Am i losing sight radius with this route?

yes, Comp flattens our muzzle rose and softens (subjectively) felt recoil.

With a RDS, sight radius no longer matters.

you may lose an inch or so on your irons, but when you are talking pistols, that really is not a big deal. I know very few shooters that are good enough shots to notice a decrease in performance with 1” less sight radius.

• Thanks 1