45Doll

CA Assault Weapon Ban Overturned

The decision will be appealed of course. Will it go to the USSC?

US judge overturns California’s ban on assault weapons (nypost.com)

Note: OK I missed the previous post on this. Might as well comment in the original.

Edited by 45Doll
Note added.
  • Informative 1

Perhaps I am getting way too jaded, but this is how I see it playing out...

1. CA AG appeals it to the 9th Circuit. A 3 judge panel concurs with Benito's ruling. This will take over a year and the ruling will be stayed throughout.
  2. The CA AG then asks the 9th Circuit to hear it en banc. 9th Circuit agrees and reverses. This will also take another year at least and all the while the statute stands.
  3. Finally the case is appealed to SCOTUS who may or may not hear it.

Delay, delay, delay. This is why politicians get away with writing unconstitutional statutes. It takes forever to get them thrown out.

I reckon they would stop if they faced treason charges each time they push plainly unconstitutional statutes on the public.

• Agree 3

I like how the same politicians that pass laws that are unconstitutional laws are the same ones that want to end qualified immunity for the police. We should be able to sue them for damages caused by the unconstitutional laws they author and pass.

• Agree 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/overturning-california-assault-weapons-ban-100017270.html

Nationally, though, handguns are used in the majority of gun murders, with rifles listed as the murder weapon in fewer than 4% of murders from 2010 to 2014, according to FBI data.

“While bans on military-style weapons are very popular in the gun safety movement, these guns are popular firearms, they’re not used relatively often to commit crimes, and most of the crimes committed with these weapons could and would be easily committed with handguns or other substitutes,” Winkler says.

13 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Title slightly misleading.  The auspicious 9th put a stay on the ruling pending outcome of another case, one which itself is held pending the outcome of Duncan v Beccera (mag ban) that has oral arguments today.

So now the AWB case is stacked in waiting on two other cases to be determined before being taken up by the 9th.  

The stay will likely be appealed by plaintiffs but I'd imagine that would be unsuccessful.