Silly question. I just purchased a handgun online from a national chain. I have to pick it up at their NJ location which is a good miles from me.My question is, does the nice have to be run at that location or can I go to another of their locations which is much closer to me. I'm trying to avoid having to make 2 long trips.

53 minutes ago, Keeping It Legal said:

Silly question. I just purchased a handgun online from a national chain. I have to pick it up at their NJ location which is a good miles from me.My question is, does the nice have to be run at that location or can I go to another of their locations which is much closer to me. I'm trying to avoid having to make 2 long trips.

You have to do the NICS where the gun was shipped then go back there to pick it up once approved.  The PRNJ does not make it easy to acquire a gun!

Just now, Keeping It Legal said:

Not sure, can I do that? I bought it from Bass Pro/Cabelas and just figured that it had to be picked up there.

You would have to ask them if they'll ship it to another FFL. There is no legal reason why they would not, but they may have a corporate policy. Most online sales work that way, but I don't know about Cabelas.

I've seen some reports of NICS coming back in hours recently vs the days it has been for about a year now. It's still not the minutes it once was. 

I mention this because, if possible, I'd get to the BP as soon as they open in the morning to start the process and hang out in the area. They can give you an idea then on the turn around time when you're there also. You might luck out and they tell you 2-4 hours. If they tell you it's 6 hours or more, then you need to decide if it's worth the risk it to spend the day wherever to save the trip or not. Whatever time they do tell you, it's just a guesstimate based on what they've seen the day before. They could say 6 hours, and it turns out to be the next day or 6 days. 

Good luck. 

Edit to add:

After I posted this I saw report NICS is back to a two day turn around. As of this morning, they had not even started working on Saturday's submissions. 

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

I've seen some reports of NICS coming back in hours recently vs the days it has been for about a year now. It's still not the minutes it once was. 

I mention this because, if possible, I'd get to the BP as soon as they open in the morning to start the process and hang out in the area. They can give you an idea then on the turn around time when you're there also. You might luck out and they tell you 2-4 hours. If they tell you it's 6 hours or more, then you need to decide if it's worth the risk it to spend the day wherever to save the trip or not. Whatever time they do tell you, it's just a guesstimate based on what they've seen the day before. They could say 6 hours, and it turns out to be the next day or 6 days. 

Good luck. 

Edit to add:

After I posted this I saw report NICS is back to a two day turn around. As of this morning, they had not even started working on Saturday's submissions. 

Thanks, I appreciate the update on that.

6 hours ago, kc17 said:

Good luck. 

Edit to add:

Submitted my NICS for a Kimber Saturday morning at 11:30 am, got my call this morning Monday at 10am when the gun store opened. Doubtful I was the first Saturday NICS submitted