Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

Microsofts new Search Engine - Bing!

MS launched a new search engine on June 1st. I didnt even know about it until I went to live.com, the old one. I got to say, it is not bad at all. Provides very very relavent content, more refined than google, and has great previews of searches. check it out.

bing.com

MS launched a new search engine on June 1st. I didnt even know about it until I went to live.com, the old one. I got to say, it is not bad at all. Provides very very relavent content, more refined than google, and has great previews of searches. check it out.

bing.com

I downloaded today after I tried; it's great to check prices.

The viral marketing hyped me up so much for it... and when I finally checked it out, it was a bit of a let down. I'm sure there are some innovations, but for the average user, it does not really seem to muster much more then the average search engine. It is a bit more stream-lined, and interactive, which is always better. But Google is just as effective if the user knows what they are doing, and what to look for. Should be interesting to see how it pans out though.

The viral marketing hyped me up so much for it... and when I finally checked it out, it was a bit of a let down. I'm sure there are some innovations, but for the average user, it does not really seem to muster much more then the average search engine. It is a bit more stream-lined, and interactive, which is always better. But Google is just as effective if the user knows what they are doing, and what to look for. Should be interesting to see how it pans out though.

I am sure it will take time, but I really do like the more streamlined searches. Google by all means has a broader reach, and we get about twice as many links from google than bing/live, but will be great to see.

I do like how the videos work (mouse-over and they start playing... totally caught me off guard at first), and while bing.com just links every one else (Hulu, AOL videos, youtube, etc) it does seem to manage centralizing a lot of information, ranging from shopping to searching to maps... while detecting your location, and catering to it (a bit scary to see that personalized advertising has finally manifested).

Edit:

Check out the Maps feature... comparable to Google's (though, Google has resources that allow for capabilities far beyond Bing's)... the bird's eye view is pretty interesting.

The "people" search is a first too. Given its random people half the time, but I was able to get a few positive hits of people I know. I'm REALLY curious how it works. Its not based on any address book (as there are no links between any email accounts I have and this site)...

As for the maps, the bird's eye view is really interesting. It goes beyond just the Aerial view (which is an option for both Bing and google), but it seems highly dependent on the bird's orbit. Though, I noticed I was able to get 360 degree angles of places in NYC for example, but not of my area (I used MSG and Columbus Circle as a test). That is definitely interesting.

How scary is this.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=ZZLH8#Jn ... Y3NTI5Mjk3

beats the heck out of google maps.

The search features on BING are nice, the map is one I have been using for a while now (maps.live.com). I use google for directions b/c you can manipulate the route by dragging and dropping, add in stops on the route etc.. But if you are looking for a specific area and want to see a real close up maps.live (now called bing.com/maps) is great. Another thing google maps still has over bing is the street view which is a pretty cool view.

Bing definitely has potential and I will keep a link to it :D

I have been using the live.com maps when planning kayak trips to give me the lay of the land and water trails as well as looking at the parking options. It is a tremendous help. It looks the same with Bing.

It's really a useful map, I actually used it when we were looking for houses. Found the house on the map or the basic area if they didn't say the address, and looked all around the area. It's amazing what you can find out from a combination of google maps street view and that crazy birds eye view of maps.live (bing.com/maps).

I have been using the live.com maps when planning kayak trips to give me the lay of the land and water trails as well as looking at the parking options. It is a tremendous help. It looks the same with Bing.

It's really a useful map, I actually used it when we were looking for houses. Found the house on the map or the basic area if they didn't say the address, and looked all around the area. It's amazing what you can find out from a combination of google maps street view and that crazy birds eye view of maps.live (bing.com/maps).

That's how I sold my house in Howell - Manasquan reservoir is HERE, etc...