WillieBeamen

Permanently plugging tube extension?

I have a Beretta 1301 Tactical on the way. The capacity is 5+1, due to import laws I believe. There’s not a big accessory market for it. I found 2 companies that make +2 extensions. As far as I can read NJ has a 6 round tube limit on semi auto shotguns. I like the look the extension provides and certainly would like to max out at 6 if possible. So I thought I’d get it and figure out a way to permanently block it to 6. Anyone done this? Easiest way would be to cut down the plug that comes with the shotgun to the correct length and epoxy it to the end cap of the extension, which threads on. But this wouldn’t be permanent as I could just replace the cap. Could I JB weld the threads of the cap? Don’t feel confident pinning and welding myself. 

On 6/8/2021 at 6:14 PM, WillieBeamen said:

I have a Beretta 1301 Tactical on the way. The capacity is 5+1, due to import laws I believe. There’s not a big accessory market for it. I found 2 companies that make +2 extensions. As far as I can read NJ has a 6 round tube limit on semi auto shotguns. I like the look the extension provides and certainly would like to max out at 6 if possible. So I thought I’d get it and figure out a way to permanently block it to 6. Anyone done this? Easiest way would be to cut down the plug that comes with the shotgun to the correct length and epoxy it to the end cap of the extension, which threads on. But this wouldn’t be permanent as I could just replace the cap. Could I JB weld the threads of the cap? Don’t feel confident pinning and welding myself. 

Why would you have to pin and weld the cap? I mean it literally comes form the factory capable of accepting an extension tube. Why would still being able to accept an extension tube matter at 6 rounds rather than 5? 

• Agree 1

IMHO:

Take a step back and consider it from a Risk / Reward standpoint.

Is it worth the risk of getting caught / tried / convicted of possession of a semi auto shotgun with a mag capacity greater than the 6 allowed here in the PRNJ for the reward of only 1 more round in the tube? (Maybe more if the prosecutor's mechanics can force another round in)

If it was me, I'd leave the tube capacity at the factory 5 until you leave this G-dforsaken state.

YMMV

• Agree 3

Learn how to “ghost load” your 1301. 

Why would the plug have to be permanent? It is not a detachable magazine. Put a small dowel or buy a plastic plug and cut it so it reduces the capacity by 1 in the tube. I am not aware of any requirement for the tube to be permanently altered. As long as you cannot put more than 6 in the tube you should be fine. 

• Agree 1

On 6/10/2021 at 2:03 PM, raz-0 said:

Why would you have to pin and weld the cap? I mean it literally comes form the factory capable of accepting an extension tube. Why would still being able to accept an extension tube matter at 6 rounds rather than 5? 

Not really sure either way. Law says can’t have a “fixed magazine capacity exceeding 6 rounds”. So if I put a plug in that I can easily remove itd be like having a 30 round mag with 20 snap caps in it, still a felony. 

On 6/10/2021 at 4:37 PM, njJoniGuy said:

IMHO:

Take a step back and consider it from a Risk / Reward standpoint.

Is it worth the risk of getting caught / tried / convicted of possession of a semi auto shotgun with a mag capacity greater than the 6 allowed here in the PRNJ for the reward of only 1 more round in the tube? (Maybe more if the prosecutor's mechanics can force another round in)

If it was me, I'd leave the tube capacity at the factory 5 until you leave this G-dforsaken state.

YMMV

I hear ya. Just jealous of those in free states. I want cool stuff too

I would not put an 8 round tube on it and put a removable block in it. That’s not the same as a 6 round tube. If it can’t be configured as is to hold more than 6 rounds, it’s six rounds.