SJG

Goodbye New Jersey

It's been fun---but---its time to go--hello Fl and Palm Beach County. We have had enough of NJ's insane and ever increasing property taxes, municipal assessments, income tax, sales tax, internet market facilitator tax,  business taxes, etc--with really no end in sight. I have also had enough of NJ's constant passage of anti-gun laws which makes a difficult situation even more difficult. I expect even further restrictions in NJ in the future.  I do see  right to carry relief  from the Supremes in 22-23 but even  then it will be  years before it is fully implemented here--because NJ will simply enact  expansive laws applying the sensitive place doctrine where carry will be prohibited  I  do wish all of you the best and do intend to check in from time to time to see what's happening.

Steve

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, SJG said:

It's been fun---but---its time to go--hello Fl and Palm Beach County. We have had enough of NJ's insane and ever increasing property taxes, municipal assessments, income tax, sales tax, internet market facilitator tax,  business taxes, etc--with really no end in sight. I have also had enough of NJ's constant passage of anti-gun laws which makes a difficult situation even more difficult. I expect even further restrictions in NJ in the future.  I do see  right to carry relief  from the Supremes in 22-23 but even  then it will be  years before it is fully implemented here--because NJ will simply enact  expansive laws applying the sensitive place doctrine where carry will be prohibited  I  do wish all of you the best and do intend to check in from time to time to see what's happening.

Steve

Welcome. Dont be alarmed by a strange sensation soon after arriving. Its just normal sanity that occurs naturally around these parts.

• Informative 1

17 hours ago, siderman said:

Welcome. Dont be alarmed by a strange sensation soon after arriving. Its just normal sanity that occurs naturally around these parts.

We have had a home in Boca since 97, which will now be our perm residence

5 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

4 months for me. 

4 mo will go fast. Going back to Texas?

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the move to Florida. You sharing does make me feel happy for you and your family.  I have too many family here to move anytime soon. So will continue to remain and support all the 2A organizations in the hope things will get better here. 

-Art

• Like 1

Not to sound at nasty but why are you telling us?  Go.  Have fun.  You list problems like we don't know them.  

Whatever you dislike here is going to show up everywhere else unless people are willing to stand up and fight.  You don't want to do that here, you can do it in Florida in a few years.  I have no idea what makes people feel like they are safe from these problems elsewhere.  

8 minutes ago, EdF said:

Not to sound at nasty but why are you telling us?  Go.  Have fun.  You list problems like we don't know them.  

Whatever you dislike here is going to show up everywhere else unless people are willing to stand up and fight.  You don't want to do that here, you can do it in Florida in a few years.  I have no idea what makes people feel like they are safe from these problems elsewhere.  

Edf is "somewhat" correct, PA is turning blue and within 5 to 10 years they will be a clone of NJ that is why if i move from NJ (god willing) it won't be to PA.  Florida and VA are better and i have spent much time there, but what afflicts NJ, NY, CA is spreading like a cancer throughout the country. No where you escape to is entirely safe from the clutches of those that would disarm you. With that being said, NJ is a failed state and there will be NO turn around in NJ without SCOTUS intervention meaning that there is no "stand and fight" here because the battle is already lost. We are not a minority of NJ society, but rather a tiny subset of a minority in this state! We can't even get 5000 people to a pro-gun rally if we went out into the streets and bribed everyone. The only card we have left in this state is SCOTUS/court intervention. "Stand and Fight" Puhleeeze!

11 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Edf is "somewhat" correct,

If you inserted the "somewhat" because you think that the only way gun rights here will be restored is with a SCOTUS ruling, take the somewhat out . . . The OP listed a slew of problems with NJ, not just 2A issues.  

No, you can't get 5000 for a gun rights rally.  Rallies don't draw anybody when they start.  You want to draw 5000 people?  You need to hold a successful, smaller, rally every six months until you grow the number of active people.  Look around here?  Most of these people have given up completely.  

Grass roots, starts with the roots and they have to be built.

But, even with all of THAT, gun rights restrictions are moving from the local stage to the national.  Running to Florida isn't going to help there either.  

52 minutes ago, EdF said:

It's not that anyone is "safe" from these problems elsewhere.  It is, quite factually, that you are in a much better position to fend off these cancers in other states with a substantially greater number of like minded individuals. 

You're going to have to fight for your values anywhere.  Your chances of success, however, are significantly better outside NJ.  

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Shepherd9 said:

You're going to have to fight for your values anywhere.  Your chances of success, however, are significantly better outside NJ.

Hog wash . . . Look at how quickly Colorado changed.  Florida is always on the cusp.  They have a damned gook governor there now but for how long?

9 minutes ago, EdF said:

Hog wash . . . Look at how quickly Colorado changed.  Florida is always on the cusp.  They have a damned gook governor there now but for how long?

Far from hogwash.  FL will be just fine for quite some time considering that the damned good governor they have, along with the backing of the legislature, has actually taken steps to protect that position well into the future.  The voting base and the makeup of the state assembly would need to be compromised long before the state falls to our level.

So once again, yes, they are ahead of the curve compared to NJ.  As is TX and TN.  None are safe.  They are most definitely in a better position to fight back then we are here.  The downfall of either of those states would be the result of complacency... good people doing nothing. 

1 hour ago, EdF said:

If you inserted the "somewhat" because you think that the only way gun rights here will be restored is with a SCOTUS ruling, take the somewhat out . . . The OP listed a slew of problems with NJ, not just 2A issues.  

No, you can't get 5000 for a gun rights rally.  Rallies don't draw anybody when they start.  You want to draw 5000 people?  You need to hold a successful, smaller, rally every six months until you grow the number of active people.  Look around here?  Most of these people have given up completely.  

Grass roots, starts with the roots and they have to be built.

But, even with all of THAT, gun rights restrictions are moving from the local stage to the national.  Running to Florida isn't going to help there either.  

True there are many issues plaquing NJ from corruption, rising crime, taxes, rotting infrastructure, traffic/congestion, insane/dangerous drivers, lack of good jobs, but the fact remains that without SCOTUS/court intervention there will be no change in NJ, we simply don't have the numbers. 

Yes, many have given up and with good reason! Many here over the years attended rallies, called politicians, got in people's faces, donated to 2a groups with nothing to show for it. NOTHING! How many years can you fight with no victories? 

What grass roots? what are you smoking? Many of our best have already left, the few that remain along with the FUDDS are not enough to change anything.

Gun grabbers are throwing as many bs laws they can in the hopes something will stick on both the local and national level, but "running to Florida" is consolidation of our forces, its not a bad thing.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, EdF said:

Not to pile on here but.....FL is not on the cusp at all. It's actually the opposite of NJ with the state legislation having a solid Republican advantage of 2-1 that actively works to make proper laws and ideals. The past 4 govs are/ were R as was the past 5-7, and before that was mostly D. The R new voter registrations has been outpacing new D's. Those stats are a definitive trend. I've noted this here before. On the other hand NJ is being over run with a out of control nanny govt and unions, is politically and financially corrupt, broke and placates to the lowest and fringe elements of society- the working middle class be damned. There's a reason NJ is #1 in the nation of with fleeing it. Fight the useless fight if you want, the numbers just aren't there to make a difference anymore but for me I've got a much happier future in mind, not wasting a lifetime of getting ahead to stay in NJ and be miserable.

• Like 2

So what's the age in Florida to buy a long gun? And who and what political party was in power when that law passed?

face it, virtually every state is a tragedy away from passing gun control restrictions. Hell, Virginia did it just to rub the gun owners face on it.