JCastag

Moving - New Jeresey to South Carolina

I am sure this has come up many times, and I have seen many different and conflicting solutions and information on the topic. 

I am moving from NJ to South Carolina, and need to transport my weapons and ammo.  Here are my questions:

- What is the best route to take? I am told I need to avoid MD and DC at all costs, even just to transport through

- Do I need to have each weapon in a lockbox? Or is the "shipping case" locked in the trunk enough?

- Is my wife able to take my ammo in her car, while I have the weapons in mine?  I cant fit much in my sports car :)

Any other advice or information would be awesome, thank you

• Like 1

Start reading about FOPA here:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

On your specific questions:

48 minutes ago, JCastag said:

- What is the best route to take? I am told I need to avoid MD and DC at all costs, even just to transport through

In my view - I have traveled through Maryland as a NJ firearms owner many times (have family that lives there), most recently in May.  I have never been stopped in probably 50+ trips from NJ to MD and back, and I frequently drive above the speed limit. 

I would feel comfortable transporting firearms through MD on major highways, in accordance with FOPA; I do *NOT* think MD is stopping cars solely based on "NJ Firearms Owner" coming up in any database for license plate readers, etc.

I would *NOT* travel through DC with firearms or ammunition.  Although DC *should* observe FOPA, DC is also ludicrous with restrictions, and people have been charged and convicted/incarcerated for simply having empty shotshells.

- Do I need to have each weapon in a lockbox? Or is the "shipping case" locked in the trunk enough?

Read the NRA FOPA link above. I think all firearms in a single locked case is fine.

- Is my wife able to take my ammo in her car, while I have the weapons in mine?  I cant fit much in my sports car :)

No issue with that in most states.  HP ammo is a special case in NJ - if the ammo is hollow point and your wife is stopped in NJ and possession of the HP ammo becomes known then she needs to state she is traveling to a range (a range in another state is fine) to ensure she's within an exemption for HP transport in NJ.

I suggest she avoid traveling through DC with ammo.

Any other advice or information would be awesome, thank you

Have all firearms/ammo/cases/range bags/anything "firearm related" out of sight from anyone standing outside the car.  Cover cases/ammo boxes with a blanket if they're not in a trunk. 

If firearm stuff isn't plainly visible from outside the car then it reduces the chance it becomes a question if anyone is stopped.

Drive in a way that reduces your chances of being stopped.  Don't excessively speed on highways, follow speed limits more closely on non-highways, and strictly observe speed limits through VA.

Congrats on your upcoming escape from NJ.  South Carolina is on my short list of states I'm considering moving to - mind if I ask where you're going (Private Messaging is fine if you prefer)?

I've driven through MD and DC plenty of times with no issues.  There have been a few horror stories about driving through MD.  But there are only a few.  I don't worry about it

READ AND UNDERSTAND THE REQUIREMENTS UNDER FOPA AND TRANSPORT IAW.

Drive the speedlimit.  Don't do anything stupid as already advised.

I avoid DC often by taking 95S to 97S in MD to 50W/301S, to 301S, and back on 95S near Richmond. That's not to avoid gun issues but to avoid traffic in DC.  Speed limit is lower  and there is a bit of congestion through towns.  But when you're standing still in traffic on the DC beltway 50 mph on 301 looks good.  A few years ago on a Sunday my daughter left Richmond about an hour before me. She took 95.  I took 301.  I got back 2 hours before she did.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I avoid DC often by taking 95S to 97S in MD to 50W/301S, to 301S, and back on 95S near Richmond. 

^ This.  When I moved from NJ to SC three years ago that's exactly the route I took.

22 hours ago, JCastag said:

I am moving from NJ to South Carolina, and need to transport my weapons and ammo.

Welcome!   Where are you moving to?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

I really don't know just asking, I know it adds some time and distance. Would it be better or worse going through Delaware and Virginia?

Going through DE and VA adds a lot more time.

Taking 301 is usually faster than going through DC as I related.

If you start from north of Rt 202/287, take Rt 78 to 81 to 77. Much nicer ride. A bit tuff to get to 81 south of there. I see you're in Union so it's easy to get to 78.  I avoid 95 at all costs. The traffic between Baltimore and DC can stop for hours.  The time difference is negligible unless your going to the coast. Then you have to factor in an hour or two. But still a nicer ride.  Do 81 once and you'll never to 95 again.       Do a direction search on Bing or Google and its easy yo see the difference.

Enjoy your new found freedom!

4 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

If you start from north of Rt 202/287, take Rt 78 to 81 to 77. Much nicer ride. A bit tuff to get to 81 south of there. I see you're in Union so it's easy to get to 78.  I avoid 95 at all costs. The traffic between Baltimore and DC can stop for hours.  The time difference is negligible unless your going to the coast. Then you have to factor in an hour or two. But still a nicer ride.  Do 81 once and you'll never to 95 again.       Do a direction search on Bing or Google and its easy yo see the difference.

Enjoy your new found freedom!

Ecactly what I did 3 out of 4 rd trips to FL last yr and agree, much nicer ride and toll free ( but for Del Rvr) if that matters just one thing avoid the Charlotte area near rush hrs, can be just as bad as the DC/VA area. 

You can take the 485 loop around Charlotte and pick up 77 again, but that can be bad as well.  If he plans on doing it in a day, then rush hour shouldn't be a problem unless they leave at some ungodly hour.

Of course this is all assuming he is going to the Charlotte area or points south.