Keeping It Legal

GSG Firefly 22LR Non-threaded barrel

I have the Firefly, non-threaded. But the threaded comes with a thread protector which has to be removed to field strip it for cleaning. Nothing more than an extra step in the process. I guess you know it is the same gun that was once sold as Sig's Mosquito, GSG had the contract to produce them for Sig. I really like mine, take it every time I go to the range with one of my 9's. Great way to wind down a session.

2 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

I have the Firefly, non-threaded. But the threaded comes with a thread protector which has to be removed to field strip it for cleaning. Nothing more than an extra step in the process. I guess you know it is the same gun that was once sold as Sig's Mosquito, GSG had the contract to produce them for Sig. I really like mine, take it every time I go to the range with one of my 9's. Great way to wind down a session.

Thanks for the info!!

My wife wanted one because it was purple and inexpensive. The gun would not get through a magazine without several stoppages. I sent it in for warranty repair and they replaced the barrel the breech block and the barrel washer. It improved but still will not get through a magazine with 3 different magazines and 6 different kinds of ammo. CCI was the best performer with only one or two stoppages per magazine.

I contacted ATI again a few weeks ago and they have not responded.

I'll chalk this up to a learning experience and get a Ruger when I get rid of the Firefly.

49 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

Mine runs fine with 36 grr Armscor CPHP, Norma 40 gr LRN, and 40 gr CCI MiniMags CPRN. Early extraction problems but American Tactical resolved & returned in a week. Well over 500 rounds since with occasional FTF, ammo not the gun.

Before ATI worked on it I couldn't get more than 3 consecutive shots off without a FTF FTE or a stovepipe. I have put over 400 rounds through it and it has never finished a magazine.

It's a shame because it is fun to shoot when it works but it just doesn't work.

I have a Sig Mosquito, and it stated to break it in with 500 CCI Mini Mags if i remember correctly. It also came with 2 springs, though no clue which I have in mine anymore (10 years old).

Mine does have above average issues with ammo (unfairly compared to centerfires). However, that is due to crappy rimfire ammo itself or gun being picky with rimfire ammo, and not so much the gun itself. It does like the better ammos more, like the mini mags or stingers or velocitors. Not sure if that really is more likely to break the gun (esp stingers) but they are more fun.  IMO, avoid ALL Winchester rimfire ammo, all my rimfires do very poorly with their ammo (even bolt and lever guns).

Gun needs to be run wet. Like way wetter than a centerfire. Maybe add lube every 150-250 rounds, depending what you use. I have attempted to polish the feed ramp, and it hasn't seemed to hurt and possibly even helped.

And trigger pull, particularly DA, is stupid high. Like 12 pounds, at least feels that heavy.

I have a real 226. 90% scaled Mosquito feels tiny. But it is good for females and younger people with smaller hands.

How much this applies to the GSG, can't say. But I imagine most of it does. I dunno if I had way better luck than average, I actually followed instruction manual and most did not, I am less picky than others, there was an actual bad batch out there, or a few people had bad experiences with theirs and everyone else parrots "tHe GuN iS HorRiBle!"  I still enjoy mine. There are certainly better guns out there. I do kinda regret not just going for the P226-22, but I am still happy with my gun.

9 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

I have a Sig Mosquito, and it stated to break it in with 500 CCI Mini Mags if i remember correctly. It also came with 2 springs, though no clue which I have in mine anymore (10 years old).

Mine does have above average issues with ammo (unfairly compared to centerfires). However, that is due to crappy rimfire ammo itself or gun being picky with rimfire ammo, and not so much the gun itself. It does like the better ammos more, like the mini mags or stingers or velocitors. Not sure if that really is more likely to break the gun (esp stingers) but they are more fun.  IMO, avoid ALL Winchester rimfire ammo, all my rimfires do very poorly with their ammo (even bolt and lever guns).

Gun needs to be run wet. Like way wetter than a centerfire. Maybe add lube every 150-250 rounds, depending what you use. I have attempted to polish the feed ramp, and it hasn't seemed to hurt and possibly even helped.

And trigger pull, particularly DA, is stupid high. Like 12 pounds, at least feels that heavy.

I have a real 226. 90% scaled Mosquito feels tiny. But it is good for females and younger people with smaller hands.

How much this applies to the GSG, can't say. But I imagine most of it does. I dunno if I had way better luck than average, I actually followed instruction manual and most did not, I am less picky than others, there was an actual bad batch out there, or a few people had bad experiences with theirs and everyone else parrots "tHe GuN iS HorRiBle!"  I still enjoy mine. There are certainly better guns out there. I do kinda regret not just going for the P226-22, but I am still happy with my gun.

Thanks for the info!!