RexiMaxi

Striker-fired handgun recommendations for beginner

I've started my firearm hobby back in September last year and I've been enjoying it very much. I still consider myself a complete newbie and that's the main reason I'm asking for advise here... 

At this point I've acquired the following pistols: Arex Zero1 (my first handgun + for self-defense), Sig P210 Target (craftsmanship beauty with occasional range use), and recently Shadow 2 (for target shooting and profoundly highlighting my mistakes).

Now, I'm thinking about adding a striker-fired pistol to my small collection and I've narrowed my choices to the following:

Arex Delta (w optics), HK VP9 (OR), Walther PPQ, Sig 365 (w optics), maybe decent 1911...

With the amount of time it took to get additional permits I'm trying to make an educated decision and get the best option before my wife gets in a way ;)

I also realize that everyone has their own opinions and bias but I believe most of users here got much more exposure to different models than I am. 

So my questions is if you had a choice of getting a striker-fired, non-Glock (nothing against Glocks), optics-ready, multi-purpose (home defense +  range), under 1K pistol, what would be your choice? It doesn't have to be from the list I've mentioned above.

Thanks in advance!

First you said this:

9 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

Now, I'm thinking about adding a striker-fired pistol to my small collection and I've narrowed my choices to the following:

Arex Delta (w optics), HK VP9 (OR), Walther PPQ, Sig 365 (w optics), maybe decent 1911...

Then you said this:

9 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

...what would be your choice? It doesn't have to be from the list I've mentioned above.

So do you want to pick up something from your list (that you presumably spent some time researching based on some kind of lens that you were looking through) or are you just looking for people to give you a recommendation for "the best"?   Other than a Glock, of course.

Should be an interesting thread...

You're list is essentially considering several full-sized pistols with one compact pistol (P365) specifically designed for concealed carry.  The P365 does not fit your "multi-purpose (home defense +  range)" criteria.

• Agree 1

In a word, if you want a "striker fired" handgun and you aren't interested in a Glock, and in particular a Glock 19 GEN 3, then you should REALLY check out a S&W M&P 2.0 of whatever flavor you want.  In particular, I would check out the 4.0 or 3.6" Compacts.   Another option would be to get a second copy of whatever gun you own now that you like, striker-fired or not.  Also, when getting permits it would be silly to pickup just one...  Even if that is your plan.  A nice 22LR or something else could come up at a good price and permits can be renewed and are good for 6 months.  Another thought would be to pick one up for the Mrs. that SHE likes.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

You're list is essentially considering several full-sized pistols with one compact pistol (P365) specifically designed for concealed carry.  The P365 does not fit your "multi-purpose (home defense +  range)" criteria.

@YankeeSCYou're correct! I meant p320. I don't see a compelling reason right now to get a compact/sub-compact in NJ. 

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

So do you want to pick up something from your list (that you presumably spent some time researching based on some kind of lens that you were looking through) or are you just looking for people to give you a recommendation for "the best"?   Other than a Glock, of course.

Should be an interesting thread...

@124gr9mm, yes, would like to know recommendations from you guys.

Glock 19 is a very obvious choice. It was mentioned by my instructors and other folks... I've spent some time with G19 at the range and for some reason I wasn't impressed with ergo and trigger. (Please keep in mind that I'm new to this and still working on my grip, trigger control, etc...) so I'm trying to get some opinions on other than Glock choices.   Thx!

53 minutes ago, Underdog said:

In a word, if you want a "striker fired" handgun and you aren't interested in a Glock, and in particular a Glock 19 GEN 3, then you should REALLY check out a S&W M&P 2.0 of whatever flavor you want.  In particular, I would check out the 4.0 or 3.6" Compacts.   Another option would be to get a second copy of whatever gun you own now that you like, striker-fired or not.  Also, when getting permits it would be silly to pickup just one...  Even if that is your plan.  A nice 22LR or something else could come up at a good price and permits can be renewed and are good for 6 months.  Another thought would be to pick one up for the Mrs. that SHE likes.  

@Underdog good point about "a copy", but getting another shadow or P210 is going to be expensive :). I haven't checked M&P 2, thanks for suggestion. i have a couple of permits left that's why i'm going through choices. Also, the list I've mentioned is available at my range store so i don't have to hunt these down.

On 6/17/2021 at 1:40 PM, Cheflife15 said:

Not to dethread but why a glock 19 instead of the full size 17? 

In NJ YOU could have had a 19 and it would have met the 15-round magazine size until the Progressives that are weak on VIOLENT CRIMINALS decided to continue to harrass law-abiding Americans, instead.   But, additionally, it is generally thought of as more versatile as easier to conceal, etc.  I personally prefer the subjective feel and balance of the 19 over the 17.  I would imagine you cannot go wrong with either.  Plus the 19 will also take 17 round magazines where the Constitution means something, and if you move to a more free place, then you will already have practice with a more concealable firearm and own one.  I prefer shooting the full size M&P over the Compacts but like them all none the less.  A 9mm revolver might also be fun if you can find one.   You could probably get two S&W M&Ps for the price of one of those other guns you own/mentioned. The thin Glock 19... I forget the number, might also be a nice investment.  Have you handled a Beretta 92 variety?  

• Informative 2

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

In NJ YOU could have had a 19 and it would have met the 15-round magazine size until the Progressives that are weak on VIOLENT CRIMINALS decided to continue to harrass law-abiding Americans, instead.   But, additoionally, it is generally thought of as more versatile as easier to conceal, etc.  I personally prefer the subjective feel and balance of the 19 over the 17.  I would imagine you cannot go wrong with either.  Plus the 19 will also take 17 round magazines where the Constitution means something, and if you move to a more free place, then you will already have practice with a more concealable firearm and own one.  I prefer shooting the full size M&P over the Compacts but like them all none the less.  A 9mm revolver might also be fun if you can find one.   You could probably get two S&Ws for the price of one of those other guns you own/mentioned.  The thin Glock 19... I forget the number, might also be a nice investment.  Have you handled a Beretta 92 variety?  

Haven't seen a lot of Berettas in stores in NJ. I think I saw one (maybe 92X full size) at Howell gunworks at some point. I feel shadow 2 that i have kind of covers full size, steel frame, hammer-fired gun for me. That's why I'm looking for a striker-fired handgun to add some variety...

If I'd go with the Glock, it would be 19 as my preference as well. Thx!

Any thoughts on VP9 vs PPQ vs Sig?

1 hour ago, RexiMaxi said:

Haven't seen a lot of Berettas in stores in NJ. I think I saw one (maybe 92X full size) at Howell gunworks at some point. I feel shadow 2 that i have kind of covers full size, steel frame, hammer-fired gun for me. That's why I'm looking for a striker-fired handgun to add some variety...

If I'd go with the Glock, it would be 19 as my preference as well. Thx!

Any thoughts on VP9 vs PPQ vs Sig?

If i were choosing between those 3 i would get the steel frame ppq (steel framed striker fired). If i was debating between polymers id get the vp9 or the walther pdp. I think the ppq is being discontinued.

I have a ppq q5 match and its a fun gun but it certainly needs talon grips as i found it slippery. The pdp has more aggressive checkering. 

VP9 - great trigger, extremely accurate, and I love the paddle mag release. I shoot it well. Aced a tactical shooting course with it.

M&P 2.0 9 or 45 - Good trigger, love the grip angle. Very natural. I shoot it well.

Glock anything - The Toyota of handguns. Easily serviced, always goes bang, and with a little help the trigger becomes comparable. I shoot them all from 9 to 10mm well enough for SD purposes.

Walther PPQ 9 or 45 - Great trigger, probably the best, slightly lighter than the VP9. But it gives me pause for thought were I in a SD situation. My M1 versions also have the paddle mag release.

Note this: I've shot all of them a lot. You should shoot what you're considering in advance of purchase if at all possible. Your mileage may vary from mine.

Take all of this as strictly my opinion, not facts provable via the scientific method.

And BTW, how do you like the trigger on that Shadow 2? 

• Informative 1

Picked up an M&P Shield plus in 9mm, like it, trigger is nice and it’s a 10 round mag. Bought it for a HD gun, takes some practice getting use to a small polymer gun, you need to really pay attention to grip, trigger finger placement to be able to take advantage of the gun, was a bit frustrating at the start but I am growing to like it more and more.

If a hammer fired is on your list, I would suggest a 1911, in what ever flavor round you like, have a colt in .45 acp, one of my favorite guns, handles very easily, shoots like a dream. Also just picked up a Kimber custom LW in 9mm, I see this one becoming my favorite pistol, being use to the colt already this was an easy purchase, shoots very soft, extremely accurate and a ton of fun.

The Kimber will be under your 1k budget  

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

VP9 - great trigger, extremely accurate, and I love the paddle mag release. I shoot it well. Aced a tactical shooting course with it.

M&P 2.0 9 or 45 - Good trigger, love the grip angle. Very natural. I shoot it well.

Glock anything - The Toyota of handguns. Easily serviced, always goes bang, and with a little help the trigger becomes comparable. I shoot them all from 9 to 10mm well enough for SD purposes.

Walther PPQ 9 or 45 - Great trigger, probably the best, slightly lighter than the VP9. But it gives me pause for thought were I in a SD situation. My M1 versions also have the paddle mag release.

Note this: I've shot all of them a lot. You should shoot what you're considering in advance of purchase if at all possible. Your mileage may vary from mine.

Take all of this as strictly my opinion, not facts provable via the scientific method.

And BTW, how do you like the trigger on that Shadow 2? 

@45Doll thanks for your suggestions! Very helpful!

Concerning Shadow's 2 trigger, I find the "creep" a tiny bit more noticeable than on my P210. (Again, I'm still very much a newbie so this is just my humble opinion) As a whole package I put Shadow 2 slightly above P210... 

27 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

Picked up an M&P Shield plus in 9mm, like it, trigger is nice and it’s a 10 round mag. Bought it for a HD gun, takes some practice getting use to a small polymer gun, you need to really pay attention to grip, trigger finger placement to be able to take advantage of the gun, was a bit frustrating at the start but I am growing to like it more and more.

If a hammer fired is on your list, I would suggest a 1911, in what ever flavor round you like, have a colt in .45 acp, one of my favorite guns, handles very easily, shoots like a dream. Also just picked up a Kimber custom LW in 9mm, I see this one becoming my favorite pistol, being use to the colt already this was an easy purchase, shoots very soft, extremely accurate and a ton of fun.

The Kimber will be under your 1k budget  

@Redeye65 is you Kimber happened to be a "nightstar" version? If yes, I think I know where you got it from since I was eying it prior to my shadow purchase ;) nightstars are pretty rare I think. 

10 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Not to dethread but why a glock 19 instead of the full size 17? 

I've carried the 17, 19, and 26 for at least a few years each.  I carried the 17 concealed which a lot of people said is impossible.  I can shoot any of them well however when they came out with the 26 scores of agents bought them.  They could shoot the 19 okay but the 26 was a little too small for them to the point they couldn't qualify with it.

The 19 is the sweet spot.  Not too big, not too small.

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

@Redeye65 is you Kimber happened to be a "nightstar" version? If yes, I think I know where you got it from since I was eying it prior to my shadow purchase ;) nightstars are pretty rare I think. 

The one I picked up is a custom light weight, found it at shore shot in Lakewood.  
love the gun, more so than the shield plus, much easier to shoot than the shield.  

apply for multiple permits next time, for 2 bucks it’s worth having a few active, this way when the urge hits, you’re  not waiting 4 months. Most places will hold the gun knowing you have active permits if you are in the 30 day wait period.  

I work in a gun store and I get to fondle guns all day, everyday.

When a customer comes in with no clue about what duty-size striker to buy, I show them everything. After taking the customer "around the world", the guns I sell most are Glock 19/17/45, Sig p320 and Walther PDP. 

If I was looking at another of this type of gun, I would go with a full size Walther PDP. It really is a nice gun and it practically sells itself. I have sold 5 this week.

fyi....Smith & Wesson is the brand of gun we send out for warranty repair the most often. And I mean a LOT more often than any other top tier brand.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I own both the HK VP9  and walther PPQ. HK is hands down my fav gun out of the box. The trigger is the best factory trigger on the market. Accurate. Will eat any ammo you can feed it. 115. 124. 147. +P.. Brass. Steel aluminum. This gun does it all.  Not one jam or even a hiccup in over 3k rounds. Its the gun in the safe buy my bed. I got the PPQ in .22lr when the world started to go to shit, because 9mm was getting stupid expensive. I try to shoot once a week. It is a great gun fun plinker. If you are in north NJ I shoot at RTSP. You are more than welcome to try em. 

• Thanks 1

I have a VP9 and two P320s, and would recommend either platform. The VP9 has the crisper trigger, but the modularity of the P320 is a huge benefit and is finally being properly exploited.
While both are great guns, I have to admit that I shoot my P320s better than my VP9. I’m pretty sure that’s because I shoot my Sigs more often, though. The Sigs point similarly to each other, so I don’t need to adjust much between them off the draw. I also carry a P365, so being similar to the P320 also helps a ton.