Zelig

Another AR-15 Now???

I bought my Bushmaster XM15-E2s NJ compliant model before Obama was reelected.  It is still NIB and my SHTF insurance policy.  My wife and I are looking to get out of PRNJ as soon as possible. My question is given all the new talk under Biden about new Gun Control with modern sporting rifles like ARs, should I buy another AR-15 now or wait until we get to a state where we can buy a rifle with better features like adjustable stocks???  Obviously, I can wait since my Bushmaster is still unfired. I just don't want to miss the boat. Also do other forum members have more than one AR-15???

It's up to you but I sold my only AR15 not long ago, while I still could!  I don't know if any forum members have more than one.  I wonder why you never tried out your AR15 since I also got mine at the same time and paid over $1,500.00 for the same rifle, USED!. I did shoot it before I sold it though.....At a MUCH lower price than I paid for it! Don't expect to get get near what you paid but something is better than the nothing when they are confiscated!

I'm more of a bolt action and shotgun kinda guy anyway.:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zelig said:

It is still NIB and my SHTF insurance policy. 

Are you retarded?  You buy a SHTF AR, and it's unfired, epic plan.  Go buy another rifle and spend some quality time at the range bonding with your old lady.  It will make your marriage stronger.

• Haha 1
  • Crazy 1

Only 1 AR? Eww. And I'm not even a big AR fan.

You can always buy lowers. Build em up, NJ compliant, or hang onto em until you move.

Or a few uppers to swap onto the AR you have.

Or buy a NJ compliant rifle now. You can change out the stuff NJ forces on you when you move. Worst case, a new upper if you want every "evil" feature. I wouldn't care too much about a bayonet lug, so could probably get away with a new stock, and figure out removing a muzzle device.

Dunno what the future holds. A bunch of lowers might be the best insurance policy if that is what concerns you.

• Like 1

I'm sorry am I missing something here. If you have an AR and never plan to shoot it why get a second one based on FOMO? You should wait till you move out of NJ and buy something else otherwise you will have to take both ARs on a fishing trip if Biden gets his way. 

• Like 1

You might want to stock up on Jersey-Legal pocket knives, instead.  Maybe a good Multitool.  Keep them in the box,  though, and sharp.  

1 minute ago, 15636215 said:

Every AR I ever had I sold! But at one time I had 39 Garands in the safes!! LOL. Can only shoot one at a time!

Does your wife have her own safe?

10 hours ago, Zelig said:

I bought my Bushmaster XM15-E2s NJ compliant model before Obama was reelected.  It is still NIB and my SHTF insurance policy.  My wife and I are looking to get out of PRNJ as soon as possible. My question is given all the new talk under Biden about new Gun Control with modern sporting rifles like ARs, should I buy another AR-15 now or wait until we get to a state where we can buy a rifle with better features like adjustable stocks???  Obviously, I can wait since my Bushmaster is still unfired. I just don't want to miss the boat. Also do other forum members have more than one AR-15???

I had an XM15. It was problematic and required some new parts to make it run reliably. If it is your SHTF insurance policy, you should probably make sure it’s reliable and set up properly for SHTF.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Zelig said:

I bought my Bushmaster XM15-E2s NJ compliant model before Obama was reelected.  It is still NIB and my SHTF insurance policy.  

That is only a good plan if by 'SHTF insurance', you mean you plan to sell or trade it in a SHTF scenario, and you think it will be more valuable if NIB.   But that's probably not what you meant.  And probably not that good of an idea anyway.

As everyone else has pointed out, if you are counting on it for defense, you need to get out and shoot it.   You need to sight it in, for starters--rifles don't leave the factory pre-set to magically put the bullets where you want them.  Everyone sees the sights and holds the firearm a little differently.  You also need to shoot it enough to make sure it is reliable, and if it isn't, you need to fiddle with the gun and/or ammo until it is.   And finally, you need to shoot it enough to become safe and proficient.  Really proficient.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Zelig said:

I bought my Bushmaster XM15-E2s NJ compliant model before Obama was reelected.  It is still NIB 

You bought one AR over 13 years ago, never fired it, now you want to know if you should by another before moving out of N.J.??  

:fie:

If Obama couldn't get some form of AWB passed in eight years and Sandy Hook neither will Biden especially after what happened the past year.

People are in no mood for more federal gun control.   

15 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Are you retarded?  You buy a SHTF AR, and it's unfired, epic plan.  Go buy another rifle and spend some quality time at the range bonding with your old lady.  It will make your marriage stronger.

THIS.

how can you say it's your shtf gun and let it set there untested? i've been at courses with people bringing brand spanking new ar's that were malfunctioning right out of the box.

keep it. shoot it. buy another. shoot it. take courses. shoot it more. take more courses.

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Is that ALL???? Damn. And I thought you were tactical, and all that shit. 

Heck, just this morning, I swapped out a 14.5” barrel for an 18” barrel (both with pinned muzzle devices) on one rifle to make a DMR/SPR type.

And, after rustling around in my parts bin for a few minutes, the 14.5” barrel just grew into another full AR….

Here is always_an_eagle’s advice on what you should do. You bought a bushmaster 13 years ago and you never shot it and again you’re questioning if you could sell it and buy another one when you have a New Jersey makes no no damn sense just keep the rifle you have. Shoot your rifle take it to the range and find out you know what you need for the rifle and run with it. New Jersey complaint rifles are alot better than a New York state or California state compliant rifle all you’re really missing is a bayonet lug, flash suppressor and collapse stock but you can always change those parts out easily once you get out of NJ. I say shoot your rifle find out what you need and if you do move out of New Jersey all you Gotta do is just get the barrel threaded for a flash suppressor and change the buffer tube and stock out. (Plus get standard capacity magazines once you are moved out of NJ)

5 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

all you’re really missing is a bayonet lug, flash suppressor and collapse stock but you can always change those parts out easily once you get out of NJ. 

Why change them out? None of the Jersey legal options take away from the effectiveness of a NJ Legal carbine.

While it is stupid and, in my opinion, nothing more than feel good nonsense - the features we can’t have in NJ are really no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Adjustable Stock: Once you find your LOP, you don’t change it. A1 and A2 stocks aren’t adjustable and they work fine. Set it for your preferred LOP and pin it. Done. I have never ever adjusted the LOP on a carbine during a shooting session. Unnecessary. 

Bayo lug: 90% of carbines out there have free float hand guards with flip up sights. No bayo lug without an a frame sight post. You planning on running “what makes the grass grow” drills?  Bayo lugs are vistigial and unnecessary.

Flash Hider: Brakes and comps are perfectly adequate. Most shooters prefer them anyway.

Pinned muzzle Devices: 14.5” Barrels with mid-length gas systems are the #1 choice for “fighting” carbines. You have to pin them anyway under federal law. So no loss there either.

If you look at a lot of rifles in free states, they are often set up exactly like a NJ compliant rifle (they don’t have to pin the stocks, but they don’t adjust them so they may as well be pinned).

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Heck, just this morning, I swapped out a 14.5” barrel for an 18” barrel (both with pinned muzzle devices) on one rifle to make a DMR/SPR type.

And, after rustling around in my parts bin for a few minutes, the 14.5” barrel just grew into another full AR….

Hell, I found 2 lowers I had forgotten I had. One of them I haven’t even assembled. 

All my 14.5” carbines wear a muzzle brake..and while they are perfectly effective, I’m going to be changing them out for A2X flash hiders when I move. 

Why? Part personal preference, partially because freedom. 

I doubt I’ll unpin stocks, simply because I have them where I like them. 

20 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Adjustable Stock: Once you find your LOP, you don’t change it. A1 and A2 stocks aren’t adjustable and they work fine. Set it for your preferred LOP and pin it. Done. I have never ever adjusted the LOP on a carbine during a shooting session.

If you look at a lot of rifles in free states, they are often set up exactly like a NJ compliant rifle (they don’t have to pin the stocks, but they don’t adjust them so they may as well be pinned).

While fine when adjusted to me and my 6'2" height, some of us do take wives or girlfriends (though usually not at the same time) out to the range (bad idea, they will have access to guns). Because of NJ's stupidity, it can be easier to simply have more than one lower permanently adjusted to whatever lengths are appropriate for multiple shooters since it is clearly so dangerous to have a gun that can get longer than a fully collapsed adjustable stock.

The problem with this method is that you eventually decide a fully assembled lower just sitting around is a waste, and soon there is yet another upper on the way. And now you need a lower to be able to swap around for different shooters of that newly complete rifle...

I wasn't planning on selling it but  now see how dumb it is to  keep it NIB and buy another.  Thanks for your feedback. 

My local range is SCFGPA and they have only one port for rifles. You need to declare a ceasefire for the archery folks and make sure racoons are not living around the target.  Rifles except 22s are a royal PITA to shoot.  So I took the easy way out. I only dry fired the Bushy.  I will go to TTC to shoot my Bushmaster  which FYI only cost around 700 bucks back then.

I have heard Bushmasters are hit and miss but thought maybe buy a better one before the Gun "Safety" mob keeps moving ahead. I know it is not a done deal but  Biden, bucky and Ms. Bonny  Watson Coleman are moving forward as fast as possible before the next election. 

Totally agree that common sense would be to use the Bushmaster before buying a second AR.  

Again thanks for all your thoughtful replies!!!

21 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

While fine when adjusted to me and my 6'2" height, some of us do take wives or girlfriends (though usually not at the same time) out to the range (bad idea, they will have access to guns). Because of NJ's stupidity, it can be easier to simply have more than one lower permanently adjusted to whatever lengths are appropriate for multiple shooters since it is clearly so dangerous to have a gun that can get longer than a fully collapsed adjustable stock.

The problem with this method is that you eventually decide a fully assembled lower just sitting around is a waste, and soon there is yet another upper on the way. And now you need a lower to be able to swap around for different shooters of that newly complete rifle...

See! You started talking like a fixed LOP was bad, but by the end, you realized it was a blessing in disguise.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s not inconvenient, I’m just saying, it isn’t a big deal.

Also, I’m 5’6” and I shoot with a fully extended stock and I have been teaching people to shoot carbines for 15 years. Long LOP is the way! I’ve seen women and kids smaller than me shoot like a striped ass ape with the stock all the way out.

I imagine if you or your significant other is shooting with the stock all the way in there is literal room for improvement.

Just sayin’

2 hours ago, Zelig said:

Totally agree that common sense would be to use the Bushmaster before buying a second AR.  

If I were leaving the state I'd put the N.J. compliant Bushmaster up for sale as is, on consignment, unfired NIB at a local FFL ASAP and get my money back.

Put the proceeds toward an unmolested AR at the new locale.

Threading AR barrels isn't cheap. You could get a new Colt 6920 for what you'll have invested in the Bushmaster and little resale value outside of N.J.