DirtyDigz

Visualizing the rise and fall of ammo prices

We are definitely over the hump with demand and prices.  Current prices and availability still sucks, but it hurts a lot less.  There's a long way to go before things even approach normal again.  The future of ammo prices and, well, 2A in general, will be determined November of next year.

I saw a lot of 22LR and 9MM at the local gun shop this weekend. The prices were high 22LR was $8 box for CCI and $4 box for Aguila. I don't recall the brand of 9MM but it looked foreign and was $21.99 box. I am glad that I am well stocked on these. At least the ammo was in stock. The gun shops here are fully stocked with guns as well. 

Yeah looks like plenty of 9 mm available all over the web , got some 124 gr for .35 per round with tax and shipping  included a couple days ago . Grabbed some other 124 gr for like . 41 earlier this week also . Seems like there’s a ton out there and most places it’s dropping although Natchez looks like they are still climbing price wise . I hit them hard up this last 18 months before the prices got unbuyable . 

TSUSA has Blazer 9mm 124 gr for .50/round. Still too high, but much better than .80 if you really need some.

And they have 99+ cases of it.

Note: Oh, here we go. SG Ammo has it at 41.5/round, shipping included. Competition!

https://www.sgammo.com/product/cci-ammo-sale/1000-round-case-9mm-luger-cci-blazer-brass-124-grain-fmj-ammo-5201

Edited by 45Doll
Note added.

Cabela's in Hamburg had Herter's .22LR for 8.99 / box of 100 yesterday.  Also Herter's 20 gauge target rounds for $75/case, and 12 gauge Winchester target for $105. 9mm for $28 per box.  They also has lots of 5.56/.223, but I didn't price them as I didn't need any. Limit 5 boxes or 1 case per customer per day. 

Walked out with a case of 12 and a few boxes of .22. 

Looks like things are guadually coming back in stock, albeit at higher prices than a year ago. 

21 hours ago, 45Doll said:

TSUSA has Blazer 9mm 124 gr for .50/round. Still too high, but much better than .80 if you really need some.

And they have 99+ cases of it.

Note: Oh, here we go. SG Ammo has it at 41.5/round, shipping included. Competition!

https://www.sgammo.com/product/cci-ammo-sale/1000-round-case-9mm-luger-cci-blazer-brass-124-grain-fmj-ammo-5201

And still in stock as of ~12:45 pm 7/1.  That's remarkable.

I declare us on the downside of the great ammo panic. 

Once we get to ~$0.30 for 115gr 9mm brass I might start buying some again.  Scary to think it's been ~2 years since I bought any ammo.

• Agree 1

My last retail bulk buy was 10mm at .31/round in April 2020.

Interestingly I bought 1K 9mm at .16/round privately in August. Just a lucky connection, and an excellent deal.

So it's been almost a year for me. But on the other hand we've shot less than 1K round in that 12 months, cause COVID. So I'm not exactly burning up my inventory.

I get the general drift of that graph, but one could get a headache trying to sort out the specifics.  Is it just me, or are some of those colors really close to one another?

Can't even remember the last time I bought ammo.  It was well over a year ago.  Glad I stocked up every time I saw good prices over the last few years.  BTW, looks like 7.62 is recovering quicker than most other calibers, in terms of price and availability. 

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

That's still 2x the "normal" price.

Of course. But it's 50% less than it was two months ago. IF you could find it.

Look, nothings normal yet. But it's coming down, for now.

19 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

every ammo panic seems to have some unique characteristics

For some reason, 12 ga trap loads are still way up there.  Lead shot for reloading is very difficult to find.  This is  unique, in that this is the first I've seen where 12ga was impacted this hard.  In previous panics, 7.5 and 8 was minimally touched price wise and there was never an issue with availability.

3 minutes ago, samiam said:

I wonder if the prohibition of lead shot for waterfowl hunting is having a negative effect

Most clay target loads are lead.  A few states demand non-lead for shooting clays but even NJ does not restrict lead 100% at every WMA.  Profit margins are higher on buck shot, so, all the lead is probably going to buck shot.

5 minutes ago, samiam said:

Could it be that the shot supply is from China

Most lead shot is made in the USA or Peru.  Lead supply may be a different story.

7 minutes ago, samiam said:

I'd like to get into reloading, but if an ongoing problem with supplies is anticipated, I'd rather not invest in the equipment.

Get the equipment.  Buy it as it becomes available.  It may take some time to acquire everything you need, but you will eventually get it.  The fist thing you need to buy is a couple reloading manuals.  Lymann, Hornady and The ABCs of reloading are a good start.  The books will give you something very important to do before you start reloading.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Smith said:

Are the reloading supply becoming available? Which press is good for starter? I liked Dillon 750 but not too sure!!!

Component availability depends on what exactly you are looking for, but in general bullet availability is pretty good, powder availability is fair, and primer availability remains a challenge.  You can find primers, but quantities are limited, and prices are still fairly high.

Any Dillon press is a fine choice.  Consider not just the speed of the press, but also the cost and the conversion time if you want to switch between calibers.   If you load a bunch of calibers, caliber conversion kits get expensive for the high-end presses, and it takes a lot of time to do the conversion.   I went with the 550, because I can change calibers in 15 minutes for not-too-much money, and the 400 rounds/hour I average with it is plenty for my needs.    If you shoot high volume of one or two calibers, one of their higher-end presses makes more sense.

2 hours ago, 10X said:

Component availability depends on what exactly you are looking for, but in general bullet availability is pretty good, powder availability is fair, and primer availability remains a challenge.  You can find primers, but quantities are limited, and prices are still fairly high.

Any Dillon press is a fine choice.  Consider not just the speed of the press, but also the cost and the conversion time if you want to switch between calibers.   If you load a bunch of calibers, caliber conversion kits get expensive for the high-end presses, and it takes a lot of time to do the conversion.   I went with the 550, because I can change calibers in 15 minutes for not-too-much money, and the 400 rounds/hour I average with it is plenty for my needs.    If you shoot high volume of one or two calibers, one of their higher-end presses makes more sense.

I currently have a 650 and changing calibers takes less than 5 minutes with a complete tool head change. slightly longer if I'm switching primer sizes.