It was about 1 to 2 days last week. Juneteenth was a state holiday and NICS was short staffed, so that thru them behind a bit. I have a NICS that was put in yesterday at 8am. I will update when it comes back.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, dajonga said:

It was about 1 to 2 days last week. Juneteenth was a state holiday and NICS was short staffed, so that thru them behind a bit. I have a NICS that was put in yesterday at 8am. I will update when it comes back.

Great info, thanks! So, apparently they got back to work? :)

On 6/21/2021 at 8:10 AM, leo-польд said:

Great info, thanks! So, apparently they got back to work? :)

If you consider a 1-2 day wait for an instant background check "back to work". I wish they would defund the NJSP Firearms Unit and AGs office. 

• Agree 2

On 6/23/2021 at 8:12 PM, ChrisJM981 said:

If you consider a 1-2 day wait for an instant background check "back to work". I wish they would defund the NJSP Firearms Unit and AGs office. 

You are in hestapo type of state, possibly next to NY and CA for any guns restrictions. Most people here will say - yes!!! NICS should be 6 month long or more. Same people still celebrating Trump loss and lefties are rulling in this country. That is why shrinking it even a bit is a progress towards something.

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Back down under 5 days according to Bob at Cheyenne Firearms.  Note - NICS is closed MLK day (Monday).  

Thank you,  I did take MLK day into account but didn't think it would go that far. On 12 Jan dealer said *maybe* on 1/15 so  I guess he was being optimistic. He did say there was something *like* 1900 in the queue. Thanks again.

Not sure what gun store you're referencing, but our forum member louu not only got the pistol my son was looking for at a pretty good price, but nics submitted evening of Thursday 2-24 and approved Monday 2-28.  Lou was professional, accommodating, and  informative. Would definitely recommend giving him a call, you won't be disappointed.

It's disgusting to see what we have let our "instant" check system descend to in the state of New Jersey.  We rejoice when it's only a day or two (after we have waited weeks to months to receive our permission slips from the government).  I related in another thread how I walked into a gun store in Florida to do a transfer on something I had purchased, and I was in and out of the store in 15 minutes.  Most of that time was filling out the 4473 and chatting with the owner and some customers.  The actual check took only about five minutes, and when the store owner said, "You're all set," I nearly fell over. 

• Like 1

I filed for my NICS last 02/25 (Friday) and I emailed my LGS yesterday and they told me it hasn't returned yet. I was worried if I was on a delay list or is this what to expect this time around. 

Now (Friday 03/04), one week passed and still waiting. 

On 3/4/2022 at 9:00 AM, Glockmeister said:

I filed for my NICS last 02/25 (Friday) and I emailed my LGS yesterday and they told me it hasn't returned yet. I was worried if I was on a delay list or is this what to expect this time around. 

Now (Friday 03/04), one week passed and still waiting. 

Ugh this isn't what I wanted to hear. I was gunna check with my ffl today but I only filled out the paper work Thursday. 

NJ NICS IS NOW SHUT DOWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

BREAKING: NJ NICS DOWN AND NO IDEA WHEN IT WILL RESUME!
2,164 ALREADY BG CHECKED BUYERS WAIT FOR THEIR FIREARMS!
by Black Wire Media Thurs. Mar. 10, 2022 www.cnjfo.com/join-us

New Jersey's firearms permitting "Instant Check System" is DOWN and the state has NO IDEA when their redundant processing will resume! Much like trying to put a house fire out with a garden hose, the Firearms Unit is currently 2,164 checks behind, and was working on March 5th transfers when the entire system shut down! For those that are unaware, firearm buyers in NJ are already background checked to obtain their firearms ID cards used for buying long guns (NJFPID) and they're already background checked BY THE SAME FIREARMS UNIT when their handgun permits are emailed to them! So this needless, redundant check is now PREVENTING legal gun buyers---that already passed a background check---to obtain their firearms at point of transfer!

Since handgun permits are issued with an expiration date, as NJ residents can't be trusted with guns and might knock-over a bank or a liquor store between the time they apply for a permit and the time they actually obtain the transfer, some gun buyers will be told their handgun permits HAVE EXPIRED due to the DELAY caused by the state!
Worse yet, every firearms transfer in NJ is treated as a first-time buyer making their first purchase! So collectors with a proven track record of NOT being arrested for firearms violations sit in the same line needlessly waiting and causing more "traffic jam" of the transfers to first-time buyers!

A right delayed is a right DENIED and the state of New Jersey absolutely loves to delay and deny firearms rights, so here we go again!
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 3

There can be no doubt that the totalitarian system of government in NJ is behind the "backlog" and Premier Murphy is staging his own private invasion of Second Amendment rights. There are currently eight counties in the state that are, by resolution, Sanctuary Counties" and many municipalities within them have done so on a local level. Well Done! Now let's work together at each election to support candidates for state legislature seats that will do the same. 

New Jersey Second Amendment Sanctuary State Map Update 01MAR2021 - Sanctuary Counties

Talked to someone today. Said he went to a gun store in PA yesterday because they had the shotgun he was looking for. I know the difference between a long gun vs. handgun purchase out of state, but he was in and out in 15 minutes, including the time he spent chatting with the guys. When's the last time that happened in NJ?

• Like 2

Why? Why? Why?

Is there anyone looking into this? When the rest of the country is instant, why is NJ so behind on checks?

No covid excuses. No lack of employee excuses. No increase of first time purchaser excuses. 

• Agree 2