GDITurbo77

Anyone have luck with Turkish imports?

Hey all. I was looking into getting an 1911 in 45acp for my wife and I to share. She fell in love with the Les Baer 1911that we rented at our range. I recently found one at a LGS in my area for an affordable price, but it appears to be made in Turkey and imported by a company called SDS Imports out of Knoxville, TN. Obviously, the difference in quality between this one and the Les Baer is going to be huge, but I don't have a couple grand to drop on one. I've never used a Turkish firearm before, so I am a little concerned about reliability. Should I just pay more and hold out for a Kimber,  Ruger or one of the other big name manufacturers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

SDS Imports 1911.png

5 hours ago, GDITurbo77 said:

The Rugers I've seen are all pretty much north of 1k. I'm looking in the 600-800 dollar range.

One thing to consider is a few hundred dollars is nothing compared to the price of ammunition you will put through it.  I bought a slightly used Colt Combat Commander in 1974 for $125.  Keep in mind I was making a bit more than $200 a week.  I've easily put more 40,000 rds thru that gun.  Rebuilt once.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GDITurbo77 said:

The Rugers I've seen are all pretty much north of 1k. I'm looking in the 600-800 dollar range.

Damn.  You are not incorrect.   Just looked up SR1911 prices on Gun Genie.  Least expensive one is $1130.

Of course that is MSRP.  They "generally" sell for much less.  If the market is still hot that may not be the case currently.

I paid around $650 for my SR1911 a few years ago.  I should have purchased a two of them!

Maybe wait until prices come down some?  If they ever do?