Bklynracer

Ammo purchase and travel question

Been looking up, really can't  find a definite answer.

If a friend who lives in NJ AND does Not have a NJ FID card is in PA buys ammo Lets say Walmart because they want to go trap shooting with me.

A. Is he allowed to transport it in NJ, if yes is the plastic Walmart bag ok or does he need a locked container 

B. Can he sell it or give to me as a gift when back

Sorry if this a repeat topic, Just Want to give correct info out.

That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Based on the above quote. It says firearm or ammo needs to be locked.

So if he was driving a day cab tractor and had a firearm and ammo he would need a container in the cab that locks.

What if he just stopped and bought ammo can it be carried in a bag in the cab since there is no firearm?

49 minutes ago, PK90 said:

That covers the transportation of a firearm (with any ammo).  I’m not sure how it would apply to just the transport of ammo by itself (no firearm). 

shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle

10 minutes ago, PK90 said:

With that thinking, what if only a firearm were present? :facepalm:

I'm just trying to interpret what's written and see if a friend with no firearm and no trunk can buy ammo and carry it in a plastic bag or cardboard box from a store without needing a large container with a lock

3 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

I'm just trying to interpret what's written and see if a friend with no firearm and no trunk can buy ammo and carry it in a plastic bag or cardboard box from a store without needing a large container with a lock

How does UPS or FedEx deliver it?  I’ve never seen one unlock the padlock around my package before putting it on my porch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

How does UPS or FedEx deliver it?  I’ve never seen one unlock the padlock around my package before putting it on my porch. 

Not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle

Let's try another way, driving back from PA driving a Tahoe, lucky enough to find 10 flats of shotgun shells. Don't have a locked container big enough for 10 flats.

Can you legally transport? 

When guys go to these big trap shoots, how do they tranport so many flats?

On 6/27/2021 at 6:03 PM, Bklynracer said:

Let's try another way, driving back from PA driving a Tahoe, lucky enough to find 10 flats of shotgun shells. Don't have a locked container big enough for 10 flats.

Can you legally transport? 

When guys go to these big trap shoots, how do they tranport so many flats?

IANAL

Is the Tahoe driver a Prohibited Person?  If no, then put all the flats closest to the lift gate & out of the driver's reach in SEALED flats.  Sealed flats (cases) might as well be in a "locked container" as far as my arthritic hands are concerned, lol.

Out of state competitors bring CASES of ammo with them everywhere they travel.  Under a blanket.  At the liftgate of a SUV.

NO ONE that I know of in 50 years behind the trigger has gotten jacked-up for drivin' SEALED factory-fresh ammo across state lines.

Anyone doing me a favor

bringing me 10 cases of scattergun shells gets a prime rib dinner for their troubles!

~R

May be an image of food