Duke987

NJ “other” with 16in+ barrel lengths?

I just put together a stripped lower receiver with a SBA3 pistol brace and am looking for uppers to put on it now. I’ve found some good deals on used 16in uppers with VFGs already attached to them and wanted to put one on my lower. Visited my local shop(won’t name it) and one of the employees there said I can’t have a barrel of 16in or more because it makes it a rifle. To my understanding this is completely wrong and the barrel length does not matter as long as it has a OAL of 26+ inches and the VFG attached to it. Just wanted some insight before I purchase an upper, thank you. 

1 hour ago, Duke987 said:

I just put together a stripped lower receiver with a SBA3 pistol brace and am looking for uppers to put on it now. I’ve found some good deals on used 16in uppers with VFGs already attached to them and wanted to put one on my lower. Visited my local shop(won’t name it) and one of the employees there said I can’t have a barrel of 16in or more because it makes it a rifle. To my understanding this is completely wrong and the barrel length does not matter as long as it has a OAL of 26+ inches and the VFG attached to it. Just wanted some insight before I purchase an upper, thank you. 

Depends if your apply the new ATF proposed rules or not. 

Old rules? It's was OK. New rules... its really not known, but the atf signaled firearms over 26" with a brace would be considered a Rifle.

44 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Depends if your apply the new ATF proposed rules or not. 

Old rules? It's was OK. New rules... its really not known, but the atf signaled firearms over 26" with a brace would be considered a Rifle.

Are you referring to the new rule changes for braces that is currently open for comment online? I am referring to the rules as of this moment, June 30th 2021

10 hours ago, Duke987 said:

Are you referring to the new rule changes for braces that is currently open for comment online? I am referring to the rules as of this moment, June 30th 2021

As of now, if it's over 26", does not have a stock, and has a vfg, the length of the barrel has no bearing on the classifications of the firearm. Which is exactly what you figured from the get go.