Cheflife15

Ammo and guns while selling house

I don't believe it needs to be locked up, but I would suggest putting it in a different box, so no one can read the labels, and know what it is. It could turn off all those Liberal/Democrat buyers that are considering the house.. :crazy:

Just now, Sniper said:

It could turn off all those Liberal/Democrat buyers that are considering the house.. :crazy:

Good lol who needs more of those clowns. 

I have everything in ammo cans, under some towels and then shoes on top. Thank you. 

Save some Amazon boxes or get some used boxes from Walmart or the super market.  Put the ammo in and tape it up.  Everybody who comes through will know that you are getting ready to move so they will not question it.  

I would less worried about liberals then kids playing with it or someone just helping themselves to 50 rounds figuring that you have so much that you will not even notice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YankeeSC said:

I would look at it more as you do not want to advertise that there are firearms in the house.

It's a good idea, but unfortunately, a gun safe in the closet or basement is a dead giveaway.

This is why I prefer concealment furniture, hidden safes or "non safe" looking type storage.

I remember when we were looking to buy and checking out houses. Open the master bedroom closet, and there's a big ole gun safe. I'm sure the guy wasn't storing his suits in it...  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Get some web cams/security cams and put them prominently in any room with valuables in them.  Don't even have to hook them up, but make them *look* like they're hooked up.

Should reduce the temptation for any people touring the house to misbehave.

I've got a couple of blackout curtains that I throw over safes if I'm having work done in my house.  They won't completely disguise that the object is a safe, but if somebody wants to scout out what *kind* of safe is there, they have to be more obvious about it.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the time a few years back when I was living by myself, and had a dozen or so cans of ammo, which didn't fit in my hidden storage spot, in the middle of the basement.  I had a guy come by to service my oil burner, and he asked me why I had a bunch of empty ammo cans piled up.  I started to say, "Empty ammo cans?"  But I caught myself, and said, "Oh, yeah.  I got those on sale and left them there until I can figure out what kind of stuff to store in them."  :D

6 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Get some web cams/security cams and put them prominently in any room with valuables in them.  Don't even have to hook them up, but make them *look* like they're hooked up.

This.

I moved two years ago and I told my realtor that showing were to be by appointment only with NO exceptions.

I told him there were guns and ammo in the home and there could be no lockbox on the house and nobody could be allowed to be in the master suite without being accompanied by my realtor (that's where the safe was).

Between that and the camera I was reasonably confident that things would be fine, and they were.

I didn't care that people knew I was a gun owner (I couldn't really hide my reloading room) but I wanted to be sure strangers had as little access to the guns as possible.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I didn't care that people knew I was a gun owner (I couldn't really hide my reloading room) but I wanted to be sure strangers had as little access to the guns as possible.

Did you ever have any concerns that one of these potential buyers might stop back at some other time to try and steal any of your guns, knowing that you had safes and reloading equipment? Or, that they would tell a buddy where to go to steal some guns?

Boy.  Mipa pissed me off alot. But heres his sentiments.   Why would you and are you cowering down to them?  Leave the rounds there.  This attitude is what has got us to this point.  Its friggin ammo.  Soo what.  If its not illegal.  Leave it there.  F them and f them with their attitudes.   Dont be a bitch.  Out. 

If one is reasonably confident in their storage and overall home security, then they have the luxury of making themselves a target for a firearms burglary.  It doesn't mean someone won't try, it's just they are less likely to get away with it.

Make no mistake, moving or not, leaving guns or ammo out in plain view can only invite problems.  Sometimes people you know and think you can trust, simply cannot resist temptation.  I'm not talking about your best buddy, though you can't entirely rule out close friends.  But, the less you know someone, the more likely they are to steal something from you, and the more tempting it is, the more likely they are to do it.

• Informative 1

30 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Sometimes people you know and think you can trust, simply cannot resist temptation.  I'm not talking about your best buddy, though you can't entirely rule out close friends.  But, the less you know someone, the more likely they are to steal something from you, and the more tempting it is, the more likely they are to do it.

That's what I think too. Even if you're OK telling your best buddy, you have no idea who else he talks to in his circle of friends. He could easily tell someone else in a conversation, "hey, I was over at John house, you should see all the firearms he has".

So, loose lips sink ships, the less people who know what you have and where it's stored, the better. Even my wife doesn't know what's in my collection. My two boys have a better idea, since they go to the range with me. That's it. Some other family members know I own "something", but that's where it ends.

33 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If one is reasonably confident in their storage and overall home security, then they have the luxury of making themselves a target for a firearms burglary.  It doesn't mean someone won't try, it's just they are less likely to get away with it.

Criminals aren't  usually known to the sharpest knives in the drawer, and will attempt to break in and steal stuff, even with alarm systems. This is why I feel video surveillance is way better than alarm systems, so you will have video proof of what happened, not just an alarm going off.

• Agree 3

"Large, unfriendly dogs in locked room.  Room will NOT be shown.  Here are photos and dimensions.""  

Is it against the law to inquire about ones political affiliations before you sell your house to them?  I guess it could work both ways... keep the neighborhood safe OR punish your neighbor...  

• Agree 1

I'm with @Golf battery.  I have all my shooting awards, pix of my kid winning filet mignon at an Over-The-Log black powder match, plaques for Distinguished Expert, NRA Life Member framed certificate, even a framed US Constitution & hand signed letter from the NRA-ILA when Ollie North bestowed upon me the NRA-ILA Volunteer of the Year.  It's no secret that some things go bang over here.

Strapped and lovin' it :)    

May be an image of 2 people, including David Rosenthal

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

I'm with @Golf battery.  I have all my shooting awards, pix of my kid winning filet mignon at an Over-The-Log black powder match, plaques for Distinguished Expert, NRA Life Member framed certificate, even a framed US Constitution & hand signed letter from the NRA-ILA when Ollie North bestowed upon me the NRA-ILA Volunteer of the Year.  It's no secret that some things go bang over here.

Strapped and lovin' it :)    

May be an image of 2 people, including David Rosenthal

Yeah im not too worried avout letting them know i have guns in the house, was just curious about the storage for legal reason during walk through. 

Ultimately i put a cable lock on the carbine and hid it in the attic, and i have all my pistols  in safes and in taped boxes. Ammo is also in a taped box. Should be good to go right? 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 9:43 PM, Sniper said:

Did you ever have any concerns that one of these potential buyers might stop back at some other time to try and steal any of your guns, knowing that you had safes and reloading equipment? Or, that they would tell a buddy where to go to steal some guns?

Nope.

Zero concerns about any of that.

House sold in about 30 days and none of your pretend scenarios happened. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Yeah im not too worried avout letting them know i have guns in the house, was just curious about the storage for legal reason during walk through. 

Ultimately i put a cable lock on the carbine and hid it in the attic, and i have all my pistols  in safes and in taped boxes. Ammo is also in a taped box. Should be good to go right? 

Unless Superman (the Man of Steel) shows up and opens the safe for them, you did what any reasonable gun owner would do:

1.  Hide the hardware, and used a cable lock on that really EVIL AR-15!

2.  Put the ammo separate

So I wouldn't worry too much.  Added security via a hidden "Nanny-Cam" near the stockpile (cache of EVIL weapons) couldn't hurt :) 

Just BREATHE Dude, and don't stress yerself out any more than you already are with the sale itself!

~R

May be an image of 1 person

• Haha 2

On 7/2/2021 at 7:08 AM, Underdog said:

"Large, unfriendly dogs in locked room.  Room will NOT be shown.  Here are photos and dimensions.""  

Is it against the law to inquire about ones political affiliations before you sell your house to them?  I guess it could work both ways... keep the neighborhood safe OR punish your neighbor...  

Not that I could find. I told my wife if we sell our house I want in bold large font at the top of the listing: WOKE LEFTISTS NEED NOT APPLY