Sniper

New West Virginian Law Makes Gun And Ammo Purchases Tax-Free

Who wants to move to West Virginia?

West Virginian lawmakers have eliminated the sales tax on all small firearms and ammunition and are also offering weapon manufacturers tax credits in hopes of sparking an economic boom, according to local news WOWK.

The law was passed in House Bill 2499, which went into effect on July 1. Customers can purchase handguns, shotguns, rifles, and whatever their heart desires (chambered up to .50 caliber) without sales tax.

But the sales tax is only a small part…the bill also stimulates economic growth in manufacturing industries by allowing tax credits for arms and ammo makers in the state.

“If they do a $1 million piece of equipment, we will tax it as if it’s a $50,000 piece of equipment. That’s to encourage investment in the state,” said Delegate Howell.

“It makes West Virginia the single best place to locate arms or ammunition manufacturing plant,” said Delegate Howell.

Manufactures in bordering states are already thinking about making West Virginia their new home.

The state hopes to get in on the action of record gun sales and millions of first-time gun owners sparked by the virus pandemic and social unrest of 2020. With millions of new guns owners, parts and ammo will be needed, and West Virginia plans to capitalize on that.

If you are going to buy that $2,000 riffle, it's going to be $120 cheaper here in West Virginia than compared to our neighboring states," said Delegate Gary Howell, (R) District 56.

• Like 4

In four years, when my wife retires, we will be moving.  At first, it was PA, but after hearing what is going on over there lately, I'm not sure what the political climate will look like.  FL was the next choice, but I'm not a fan of hot humid weather.  House Bill 2499 may have just changed my mind about WV.