Sniper

Komrad 12ga AK-47 12.5in 5rd - Is this thing legal?

I'm guessing it's not legal here (too many evil features), but it has a brace, does it fit in the "other" category?

The Kalashnikov USA Komrad Firearm 12ga AK-47 12.5in 5rd Black SBA3. The Komrad is a US manufactured 12 GA semi-automatic tactical firearm based on the Russian Saiga series. It is designed to accept 2.75 and 3 shells and includes two 5 round magazines. The Komrad has a SB Tactical SBA3 pistol brace, adjustable pistol grip, tri-rail forend, vertical forward grip, standard side mounted optics rail and a threaded muzzle nut. Total length of the firearm comes to 31.5 inches.

https://tombstonetactical.com/product/komrad-12ga-ak-47-pistol-12-5in-5rd-black-sba3#product_detail

image-full-6343-ec552500dd413246b0b55b14

I'm thinking it falls into the same territory as a non-NFA Other Firearm.

NJ definition of a shotgun is:

"Shotgun" means any firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and using the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shots or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, or any firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder which does not fire fixed ammunition.

As this has a pistol brace, for now at least, it is not designed to be fired from the shoulder so is not an NJ defined shotgun. Therefore the prohibition of a semi-auto shotgun having a pistol grip does not apply. The VFG takes it out of the category of pistol as it is designed to be fired with two hands.

• Informative 1

29 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Do they like it?

It doesn't have a last round hold open button like the Saiga or Vepr. The bolt hold open is notched into the safety. If you want to mount an optic you'll need the side mount like with AKs. Has adjustable gas, but you need to leave it open. 

• Informative 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

It is sexy AF. 

Ha, exactly what I thought. I like hardware that's a bit "different", and not another face in the crowd!

When are you taking that baby out for a test ride?

23 hours ago, Sniper said:

Ha, exactly what I thought. I like hardware that's a bit "different", and not another face in the crowd!

When are you taking that baby out for a test ride?

Maybe next week if the weather is good on a day I have a sitter. I found a place that tunes them to run everything from low brass bird shot to buck. It's pricey, but man would that be fun for the shotgun shoot.