Mikecap26

Muzzle brakes...anyone know if they are legal?

Hoping you guys can help.  I have a Kel Tec KS7 and I wanted to get a muzzle brake from hi-tec but, of course, I have to do some crazy research and try to find some info that will tell me if they are legal in NJ on a pump action shotgun.  Does anyone know if they are legal or not?  Thank you very much for the help!  Stay safe. 

As far as I know most muzzle brakes are legal in NJ. Dunno if it holds any water but if yer pinky can fit in there it’s illegal lol. 
basically the hole on the front should be no larger than the bullet diameter where as flash hiders are wide open hence the pinky can fit and that’s the no go. 
As always others can correct me and or chime in. If you have a particular brake then maybe mention the type. I’m sure others may already have one installed but that’s not gospel neither.

In NJ, whatever the device is marketed as, is what it is. “Pinky test” is a myth.

No muzzle device is illegal in NJ. Flash hiders are perfectly legal.

However - Depending on what you install a flash hider on, it may make a weapon an “Assault weapon” making it illegal to own in NJ. Example:

• Flash hider on a bolt gun: legal
• Flash hider on a mini 14 or SCR: legal
• Flash hider on an SBF Other: legal
• Flash hider on an AR: illegal.

A pump action shotgun is not semi-auto, so it will not fall under the provisions of NJ AWB. You can add any muzzle device you want to it.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

In NJ, whatever the device is marketed as, is what it is. “Pinky test” is a myth.

However - Depending on what you install a flash hider on, it may make a weapon an “Assault weapon” making it illegal to own in NJ. Example:

A pump action shotgun is not semi-auto, so it will not fall under the provisions of NJ AWB. You can add any muzzle device you want to it.

Thank you for the help.  Do you know if it have to be welded to the gun?

25 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

34 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

As far as I know most muzzle brakes are legal in NJ. Dunno if it holds any water but if yer pinky can fit in there it’s illegal lol. 
basically the hole on the front should be no larger than the bullet diameter where as flash hiders are wide open hence the pinky can fit and that’s the no go. 
As always others can correct me and or chime in. If you have a particular brake then maybe mention the type. I’m sure others may already have one installed but that’s not gospel neither.

Thank you for the help.  The one I'm looking at is the Hi-Tech Custom's Howitzer 70.  I hope it works as well as they advertise