Need an AR!!!!

A buddy at work has a PSA AR10. Sample size of one, but lots of problems last he talked about it. A good AR10 without breaking the bank is kind of tough. There just aren't as many options, economies of scale, or competition like the AR15 has. If money wasn't an issue, I'd go Daniel Defense. On the lower end of the price spectrum, I'd be willing to give Aero Precision a try.

Edit- @15636215 Sig could be another option too, but they’re probably around what an Aero would cost, which is likely a bit higher than your price range. 

16 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

While I have no personal experience with them, I understand DPMS makes a great .308 AR. 

Is DPMS currently making firearms? I think they got picked up by someone in the Remington bankruptcy (forget who), but I didn’t know if they were in production again. 

I thought Colt had discontinued these, but the Modular Carbine is still in the current catalog. In both .308 and 6.5 Creedmore. 

It’s listed at $1500, a little above your budget, but worth the stretch. https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-cm762-16s-308win-161-20rd-blk

I have the .308 version, first generation of the Modular Carbine.  Love this gun. 

8A4EA5C7-BC04-42D5-A574-B423CFE829B6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Persona non grata said:

A good AR10 without breaking the bank is kind of tough.

It can be done. 

The 10 is little different than the 15, you can always build your own.  Many of the 15 parts are interchangeable and reasonably priced, however, sourcing certain items specific to the 10 could take some time.   It depends on the level of quality you would be satisfied with.  If I were you, I'd start with Midway USA, they seem to have a good inventory, JSE Surplus and Joe Bob Outfitters are worth looking at too.

AR-10’s aren’t ‘standardized’, like AR-15s. There are two patterns, someone more in the know can correct me, but I believe they are DPMS and SR25 patterns. They are not compatible with each other. Know that when you are buying parts to build. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Persona non grata said:

Is DPMS currently making firearms? I think they got picked up by someone in the Remington bankruptcy (forget who), but I didn’t know if they were in production again. 

Palmetto State Armory bought 'em.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

correct me, but I believe they are DPMS and SR25 patterns. They are not compatible

You are correct.  It's worth noting, DPMS dominates about 80% of the market. Waaay easier to build a DPMS pattern.  Cheaper too.

9 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Palmetto State Armory bought 'em.

Ah, more brands for PSA’s private equity overlords to play with. Looked it up and seems that JJE holdings (owner of PSA) also bought AAC and a few other brands.

11 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

It can be done. 

The 10 is little different than the 15, you can always build your own.  Many of the 15 parts are interchangeable and reasonably priced, however, sourcing certain items specific to the 10 could take some time.   It depends on the level of quality you would be satisfied with.  If I were you, I'd start with Midway USA, they seem to have a good inventory, JSE Surplus and Joe Bob Outfitters are worth looking at too.

Sure, it can be done. From what I’ve seen though, it’s nowhere near as easy to get a reliable AR10 for cheap as an AR15. I’ve built some 15s piece by piece that run great, but I plan on buying a factory 10 if and when I pull that trigger. 

On 7/31/2021 at 10:44 PM, Displaced Texan said:

AR-10’s aren’t ‘standardized’, like AR-15s. There are two patterns, someone more in the know can correct me, but I believe they are DPMS and SR25 patterns. They are not compatible with each other. Know that when you are buying parts to build. 

Lr308 Dpms takes sr25 mags

And the alternative pattern is

ArmaLite ar10

On 8/1/2021 at 12:50 PM, silverado427 said:

+1 on Windham Weaponry, I paid $1500 for mine a few years ago. Whatever they're going for now they're well worth the money. With a little money put in to it you can make it one excellent rifle (Trigger, Stock, Bipod, quality optic).

I wrote a review on one for Maksim's site in 2019