Howard

NY is now as crazy as NJ

Hey all, have not been here is quite a while since I have been in the Free State of Florida for three years now.  My Dad in Long Island is looking to buy a Pistol just to have in his home.  I thought the laws in NJ were crazy, but it seems NY is trying to out do NJ.  He sent me the following e-mail a few minutes ago:

"I took your advise and went to my local gun dealer, Hunters Essentials, on Willis Ave., Albertson.  They are very nice.  This is where I bought my rifle last year.  This isn’t New Jersey!  There are now only 3 dealers in Nassau County.  They told me that now that I’ve had my final “interview” it could take a month or several until my permit is ready for pick up!  It took me 9 months to get to this point.  He told me that if someone applies today, this wait is now 16 months!!!  

I asked if I could “try on” a few models to see “how they fit”.   He laughed, saying that I can no longer put my hands on an unloaded pistol without a permit.  Can you believe this?"

The permit my dad is talking about is not a carry permit, it is just a permit to buy a handgun that you keep in your home.

• FacePalm 1

27 minutes ago, Howard said:

Hey all, have not been here is quite a while since I have been in the Free State of Florida for three years now.  My Dad in Long Island is looking to buy a Pistol just to have in his home.  I thought the laws in NJ were crazy, but it seems NY is trying to out do NJ.  He sent me the following e-mail a few minutes ago:

"I took your advise and went to my local gun dealer, Hunters Essentials, on Willis Ave., Albertson.  They are very nice.  This is where I bought my rifle last year.  This isn’t New Jersey!  There are now only 3 dealers in Nassau County.  They told me that now that I’ve had my final “interview” it could take a month or several until my permit is ready for pick up!  It took me 9 months to get to this point.  He told me that if someone applies today, this wait is now 16 months!!!  

I asked if I could “try on” a few models to see “how they fit”.   He laughed, saying that I can no longer put my hands on an unloaded pistol without a permit.  Can you believe this?"

The permit my dad is talking about is not a carry permit, it is just a permit to buy a handgun that you keep in your home.

The SAFE Act of 2013 changed a lot of things in New York. 

Hey Howard!  Hope you and your's are doing well in Free America.

Everybody and their brother on Long Island most likely applied for permits during the last year.  Last summer I had people who were "I'll never need a gun" type of people asking me who to purchase one.

Tell him to hold on.  If he's waited 9 months then what's a few more.  Plus BLM & Antifa have "their guy" in now.  It's been MUCH quieter this summer than the last few (what a coincidence!).  

There are some places even in NJ that won't let you handle a firearm without a FID.  Ridiculous.  

Are there any ranges on LI that have rentals?  That may be his best bet.

6 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Hey Howard!  Hope you and your's are doing well in Free America.

Everybody and their brother on Long Island most likely applied for permits during the last year.  Last summer I had people who were "I'll never need a gun" type of people asking me who to purchase one.

Tell him to hold on.  If he's waited 9 months then what's a few more.  Plus BLM & Antifa have "their guy" in now.  It's been MUCH quieter this summer than the last few (what a coincidence!).  

There are some places even in NJ that won't let you handle a firearm without a FID.  Ridiculous.  

Are there any ranges on LI that have rentals?  That may be his best bet.

You must be a resident of New York and have a New York State county of residence issued Pistol Permit to shoot and/or rent a handgun at a range. 

• FacePalm 1

5 hours ago, Howard said:

Nassau Co is notorious for being Anti 2A. Several months waiting for the permit is the norm. Then when your dad decides what gun he wants he will have to pay for it then submit the receipt to the county to add the gun to his permit. This could take several more months. 

Once it's added to his permit he will be able to pick up his property.

Your dad is also correct that he cannot even touch a handgun in NY until he has his permit. The exception is if he is at a range being instructed by a NRA certified instructor. The county that issued my permit requires a safety course be taken prior to receiving your permit. The one I took had a live fire portion. .22 LR but it's good for new shooters.

The really twisted thing about NY is that permits are issued by the county so if you are in a Pro 2A county like where I got my permit you are issued a full carry permit. I can carry in every county in NY except for the 5 boroughs. Your dad may get a sportsman's permit from Nassau Co which will allow him to carry while Hiking, Hunting, Fishing, or Camping. Some counties are restrictive about issuing those and I would imagine Nassau is one of them.

Best of luck to him.