GDITurbo77

Looking to get my first (and only) AR-15

Looking at a few different AR's and having a hard time choosing. It will be my first, and most likely my only, semi-auto rifle. I'm not looking to drop 1500+ but don't mind spending over a grand for higher quality. Right now, it's down to the following rifles:

M&P 15 Sport 2

Ruger AR 556

Sig M400 Tread 

Springfield Saint Victory 

All of the above are at or below a grand and all are considered lower middle-tier I think. I was also looking at a Troy A4 Other but I've been hearing that there's a push to make the Others illegal so I don't think it's an option anymore. Anyone have the above rifles and can comment in goods and bads? Or suggest any alternate AR's that I'm overlooking?

I can’t speak for any of your options specifically.  I agree with you that at least for the M&P it’s a mid-tier option.   Let me ask a question that may help you narrow it down:   What do you want to use the rifle for?   Home defense?   Range toy?  Don’t know?

One option to consider:  Get any of those, shoot the crap out of it to find out what you like and don’t like.  For the things you don’t like, can you upgrade parts to make it more to your liking?   Worse case when you find out exactly what you want then you sell the current rifle and buy or build one that fits exactly what you’re looking for. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I can’t speak for any of your options specifically.  I agree with you that at least for the M&P it’s a mid-tier option.   Let me ask a question that may help you narrow it down:   What do you want to use the rifle for?   Home defense?   Range toy?  Don’t know?

One option to consider:  Get any of those, shoot the crap out of it to find out what you like and don’t like.  For the things you don’t like, can you upgrade parts to make it more to your liking?   Worse case when you find out exactly what you want then you sell the current rifle and buy or build one that fits exactly what you’re looking for. 

Most likely a range toy. I have 2 9mm's, a .357 revolver and a .45ACP 1911 that I would probably grab first in a home defense situation.

1 hour ago, GDITurbo77 said:

Looking at a few different AR's and having a hard time choosing. It will be my first, and most likely my only, semi-auto rifle. but don't mind spending over a grand for higher quality. 

Or suggest any alternate AR's that I'm overlooking?

$1000 or less would buy a Colt CR-6920.

The M&P, Ruger and Springfield have nitride barrels, batch tested verses the Colt's chrome lined, magnetic particle, high pressure tested barrel/bolt. 

The Colt also has a full auto bolt carrier, H buffer, plus a lot of other mil-spec parts, excellent build quality and better resale value.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

The other option is to buy a separate lower and upper assembly, and build it yourself. This way you can have some fun and get to know all the components.

I've never been a AR fan, but figured I'll get one, just because. I prefer pistol caliber carbines. So I bought a Anderson lower and a PSA upper kit, and after a few hours, I had a operational AR.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GDITurbo77 said:

Most likely a range toy. I have 2 9mm's, a .357 revolver and a .45ACP 1911 that I would probably grab first in a home defense situation.

Steve at Monmouth Arms has a Colt 6920 and FN-15 AR in stock. N.J. Compliance work included.

The FN-15 looks like a heavy barrel model however.

https://monmoutharms.com/in-stock-inventory/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GDITurbo77 said:

"It will be my first, and most likely my only, semi-auto rifle. "

Yeah...Let us know how that works out for ya...lol

I said the same thing only I knew I didn't want a ready made tinker toy. Did my research and started buying good parts. You Tube is a great site for how to build one. If you have any mechanical ability they are pretty simple. Only a few special tools. You will take pride in the fact that you built it yourself and know how every part in it works.

BTW I now have 3 different calibers in the AR platform. Two or 3 in side charge.

I only wanted one... Its a problem I know. But not as bad as some guys I think. Although I am fighting off the urge to build another one to give to my wife. She doesn't know she wants one...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

Yeah...Let us know how that works out for ya...lol

I said the same thing only I knew I didn't want a ready made tinker toy. Did my research and started buying good parts. You Tube is a great site for how to build one. If you have any mechanical ability they are pretty simple. Only a few special tools. You will take pride in the fact that you built it yourself and know how every part in it works.

BTW I now have 3 different calibers in the AR platform. Two or 3 in side charge.

I only wanted one... Its a problem I know. But not as bad as some guys I think. Although I am fighting off the urge to build another one to give to my wife. She doesn't know she wants one...

Will be harder to find/ship all the parts I need though won't it? Also, do all the parts come with a warranty like I would get if I bought a ready-made?

Just one AR-15? Sheeeeet, I got 5 plus a few stripped lowers just waiting to be built! Out of your options I would probably go with the M&P Sport 2. I have shot friend’s M&P Sport’s (both generations) and are good quality for the money. The nice thing about the AR platform is you can always upgrade parts and furniture very easily.

• Like 1

I also wanted only one AR mostly bc of cost, I’m not swimming in disposable income here. But I found it just wasn’t possible to do everything I wanted with one rifle and constantly swapping parts (.22LR upper…cqb optic and long range…lightweight vs varmint) is a pain in the ass  

Building yourself won’t have a “tip to butt” (lol) warranty but if you built it once you can fix it when it breaks. And if the parts were defective it would probably be covered by the individual manufacturers anyway. 

• Like 1

I can understand not wanting to build an upper, as that build does require some specialized tools. The lower is so simple and is where quality parts are needed and where you should have spare parts for. Do your home work. It's more fun then.  

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I've had a Stag Arms Model 2 for several years, and it has been ultra-reliable and fun to shoot.

You might consider renting a few AR's somewhere before you buy one.

I have the same rifle and I second his opinion!

My first AR had the fixed A2 sight and was a carbine gas tube as most other first timers. If you get one with that fixed sight keep in mind any mods will have to keep that fixed sight unless you retrofit and remove it. I prefer either using flip ups BUIS or a scope or red dots with a mid length gas tube now. Like Smitty said buy a complete upper or a prebuilt upper but the lower is pretty easy to build with all the youtube videos out there. The other item to consider also is how you plan to attach your stuff to the rifle. will it be pic rail, keymod or mlok? How long with the handguard be? For me a 12"-13" handguard is my sweet spot. You might find yourself building another one or at least building another upper that you could swap out with the same lower or just build another lower. Just food for thought. 

So I went over to Howell Gun Works tonight to see what they had. He took out about 6 AR's for me to hold and look over that were around 1200 or less. This is what my choices were:

IWI Zion 15

Sig M400 Tread 

Stag Arms Tactical 15

AndroCorp AC-15 

Colt M4 Carbine 

Rock Island RRage 15

I didn't care for the Sig because it was the Snakebite version with the FDE furniture. The Andro was the cheapest one and considered an entry-level AR so I passed on that one. The colt was the most expensive of the bunch at around $1300 so I passed on that one too. That left me with the IWI, the Stag and the Rock Island. After much drooling over the 3, I ended up going with the Stag Arms Tactical and bought a set of Magpul MBUS flip up iron sights for it. My plan is eventually to put a red dot on it but I'm not prepared to drop another 250+ on an optic right now. Also picked up 200 rounds of .223 to practice with at the range. NICS should hopefully be back by Saturday so hoping to pick it up by then. Hope I made a wise choice!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’m still laughing though, that you THINK this will be your only AR. They are contagious. 

I have that problem, but not with ARs... with pistol caliber carbines.. They seem to replicate in the dark of night... :good:

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 8:45 PM, voyager9 said:

Having only one AR is like wearing only on shoe.    Eventually you stub your toe and suddenly $1500 is missing from your wallet.  

Congrats on the purchase. Now go shoot it!

I thought my Sig M400 would be it, but they've multiplied like rabbits. lol

• Like 1

Enjoy! 
They are a ton of fun to shoot.

Bought this red dot when I first got my AR

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-rotary-knob-25mm-microdot-with-2-moa-dot-reticle

cheaper, nice quality and held zero, come to find out I have an astigmatism and trying to use it gave me a headache, put it on the wife’s AR, she loves it, beats the heck out of it too.

• Like 1