Scorpio64

NWS TORNADO WARNING 7/29 - 7:20PM

1 minute ago, silverado427 said:

I turned that BS off on my phone. I was watching TV and comcast broadcast that weather alert.

We have had a lot of tornado warning in the last two or three months.

So, you would rather be taken by surprise, instead of being notified? :scratchhead:

On the emergency radio, I think they hired a new guy at the NWS, who likes to push the warning button. It gets set off all the time.

You should be able to disable things like Amber alerts and lesser warnings on your phone - google your model and disable emergency alerts.  I got realllllllly tired of flash flood warnings going off in the middle of the night while I'm at home, at the top of a 900' hill.  Leaving Extreme warnings enabled still gives you tornado warnings and I assume a few other things I actually would be concerned about.

I was watching News 12 most of night after getting the alert about the tornado warning.  Was pleasantly surprised by the coverage, which was nonstop and actually provided helpful information.

Hope everyone came out OK with nothing worse than an overturned garbage can or lawn chair.

6 hours ago, Malice4you said:

You should be able to disable things like Amber alerts and lesser warnings on your phone - google your model and disable emergency alerts.  I got realllllllly tired of flash flood warnings going off in the middle of the night while I'm at home, at the top of a 900' hill.  Leaving Extreme warnings enabled still gives you tornado warnings and I assume a few other things I actually would be concerned about.

I was watching News 12 most of night after getting the alert about the tornado warning.  Was pleasantly surprised by the coverage, which was nonstop and actually provided helpful information.

Hope everyone came out OK with nothing worse than an overturned garbage can or lawn chair.

i've actually turned off all alerts on my phone. if i could turn off the presidential alerts i'd turn that one off too.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i've actually turned off all alerts on my phone. if i could turn off the presidential alerts i'd turn that one off too.

This.  Bad enough I get the alert from the Weather app, Twitter, and others when NWS issues watches and warnings. At least those aren’t disruptive. 

On 7/29/2021 at 10:49 PM, silverado427 said:

I turned that BS off on my phone. I was watching TV and comcast broadcast that weather alert.

We have had a lot of tornado warning in the last two or three months.

I think fake news and sensationalism has now infected the weather reports.

On News 12 they've starting giving weather forecasts using words like: outstanding, gorgeous, fantastic, beautiful. Are those meterlogical terms?

Can't they just be honest and say partly sunny, partly cloudy and leave out the adjectives

Most of the time the day turns out far less than advertised.

• Agree 1

Two confirmed tornadoes in my area:

BARNEGAT, NJ — Meteorologists with the National Weather Service confirmed two tornadoes touched down in Ocean County as severe storms moved through the region on Thursday night.

The National Weather Service found an EF1 tornado fueled by 105 mph winds struck Barnegat, while an EF2 blew through Waretown and Barnegat Light on Long Beach Island with winds gusting up to 115 mph.

More than 35 houses and multiple boats in the High Bar Harbor section of Long Beach Township near Barnegat Light were damaged during the storm.

---------------------------------

WARETOWN, NJ — Wells Mills County Park will be closed through the weekend after Thursday night's storm uprooted large trees and damaged playground equipment.

"Trees were snapped in half, and the playground equipment also sustained damage," said Michael Mangum, director of the Ocean County Department of Parks and Recreation. "We have hundreds of trees down and until we can clear them, we will keep the park closed to the public for safety reasons."