Dr. Goodshot

What happened to the Smith & Wesson dealers?

I wonder why there are hardly any Smith & Wesson authorized dealers listed on the S&W website any more. If you go to the dealer locator at https://www.smith-wesson.com/ and type in a North Jersey zip code, say 07104, and pick a radius of 100 miles, it shows only two authorized dealers: Bullet Hole and a place called G3 Unlimited. A year ago or so I'm pretty sure that if you put in that zip code it would list all the places in the area, RTSP, Ottomanelli's, Bullet Hole, the other RTSP, and whatever else is around. Now it's saying there's only those two for 100 miles. What happened?

15 minutes ago, DaveR said:

Guess I picked up my Shield Plus from an unauthorized dealer.

Interesting, I put in my zip, expecting to see my LGS, but they weren't on the list. They're a big store, and I checked their website, and there's tons of S&W handguns on the site.

You might want to check the website of your LGS to see what they carry.

4 hours ago, DaveR said:

You got me, i typed in my zip, expecting to see the LGS I buy from regularly and it only shows 2 pawn shops.  Guess I picked up my Shield Plus from an unauthorized dealer.

Well it seems that last time I looked, which may have been some number of months ago, all the stores were listed. So they were probably an authorized dealer when you bought it, depending on when you bought it...

Send S&W an email last week, still waiting on a response.  It is odd that large firearm sellers, even places like Bass Pro and Cabela's are not listed as dealers, but many pawn shops are?  How do all these other stores get their inventory if they are not dealers?  Probably, you pay us $$$ we list you as a dealer.

9 hours ago, DaveR said:

Send S&W an email last week, still waiting on a response.  It is odd that large firearm sellers, even places like Bass Pro and Cabela's are not listed as dealers, but many pawn shops are?  How do all these other stores get their inventory if they are not dealers?  Probably, you pay us $$$ we list you as a dealer.

Yes, it is weird. If my favorite store is not an authorized dealer any more, does this mean there is some reason I shouldn't purchase my next Smith & Wesson gun from them?

I don't know, maybe their website is being updated or something. I noticed that when I put in 07104 there is now one more dealer listed than there was about a week ago.... So maybe they'll show back up???

Please let us know if S&W gets back to you with any useful info...