Sniper

Anyone use bifocal shooting glasses?

I'm sure a few here use reading glasses for everyday use. Sadly, as the years tick up, using cheater glasses for close up work ends up being a necessary accessory, more and more.

Now, it's getting tougher sometimes to clearly see the front sights, specially on handguns. I prefer iron sights versus optics.

So, wondering, is anyone using bifocal shooting glasses that have a stronger section to see up close sights? Also wondering if maybe changing out the actual sights to something brighter might be the ticket?

I just bought one pair of bifocals to try, which has a small magnifying section in the bottom, but it doesn't seem big enough for shooting, but does help when working on the bench.

9 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

I just recently got bifocal contacts but haven't been handgun shooting yet.  Curious to see how that works out.

How do they know which side is up? Don't they slide around?

I recently started using bifocal shooting glasses.  I need corrective eyewear to read, and I have found the bifocals helpful for shooting.  The trick is that unlike reading glasses, the magnification needs to be on the top, not the bottom, so you can see it when you get into a shooting position.  Also, I try to do some practice with and some without them, as you probably won't be able to access them in the case of a defensive shooting.

I've been using these:

https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits

I believe they advise you to use slightly less magnification than you use in your reading glasses.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

The trick is that unlike reading glasses, the magnification needs to be on the top, not the bottom, so you can see it when you get into a shooting position. 

I bought a pair with it on the bottom, and after trying, I was thinking the same thing. These bifocal sections of the lens seem small compared to the rest of the lens. I'm going to get a pair of the top type and try that.

4 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I believe they advise you to use slightly less magnification than you use in your reading glasses.

Thanks for that. I was thinking the same thing, if I go to a lower magnification, it should help with seeing the sight without making the target too blurry.

I have to use the same (bifocals) I got a dedicated pair of distance glasses for shooting. Mr. Stu has a good solution setup for his that seems to work. Im Sure he will chime in when he reads this.

4 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I recently started using bifocal shooting glasses.  I need corrective eyewear to read, and I have found the bifocals helpful for shooting.  The trick is that unlike reading glasses, the magnification needs to be on the top, not the bottom, so you can see it when you get into a shooting position.  Also, I try to do some practice with and some without them, as you probably won't be able to access them in the case of a defensive shooting.

I've been using these:

https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits

i like my ssp's, but haven't had much time with them as i've not been to the range as often as i would normally....

Wasn't thinking and got a pair with magnification on bottom, had to raise my head to look through bottom of lens so that wouldn't work. Got a pair with magnification on top and bottom, but that didn't work for me. Ended up with 2.0 magnification  lenses and that's what I use. Probably not the best option, but works for me so far.