Sniper

Anyone use bifocal shooting glasses?

I'm sure a few here use reading glasses for everyday use. Sadly, as the years tick up, using cheater glasses for close up work ends up being a necessary accessory, more and more.

Now, it's getting tougher sometimes to clearly see the front sights, specially on handguns. I prefer iron sights versus optics.

So, wondering, is anyone using bifocal shooting glasses that have a stronger section to see up close sights? Also wondering if maybe changing out the actual sights to something brighter might be the ticket?

I just bought one pair of bifocals to try, which has a small magnifying section in the bottom, but it doesn't seem big enough for shooting, but does help when working on the bench.

I recently started using bifocal shooting glasses.  I need corrective eyewear to read, and I have found the bifocals helpful for shooting.  The trick is that unlike reading glasses, the magnification needs to be on the top, not the bottom, so you can see it when you get into a shooting position.  Also, I try to do some practice with and some without them, as you probably won't be able to access them in the case of a defensive shooting.

I've been using these:

https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits

I believe they advise you to use slightly less magnification than you use in your reading glasses.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

The trick is that unlike reading glasses, the magnification needs to be on the top, not the bottom, so you can see it when you get into a shooting position. 

I bought a pair with it on the bottom, and after trying, I was thinking the same thing. These bifocal sections of the lens seem small compared to the rest of the lens. I'm going to get a pair of the top type and try that.

4 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I believe they advise you to use slightly less magnification than you use in your reading glasses.

Thanks for that. I was thinking the same thing, if I go to a lower magnification, it should help with seeing the sight without making the target too blurry.

4 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I recently started using bifocal shooting glasses.  I need corrective eyewear to read, and I have found the bifocals helpful for shooting.  The trick is that unlike reading glasses, the magnification needs to be on the top, not the bottom, so you can see it when you get into a shooting position.  Also, I try to do some practice with and some without them, as you probably won't be able to access them in the case of a defensive shooting.

I've been using these:

https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits

i like my ssp's, but haven't had much time with them as i've not been to the range as often as i would normally....

Wasn't thinking and got a pair with magnification on bottom, had to raise my head to look through bottom of lens so that wouldn't work. Got a pair with magnification on top and bottom, but that didn't work for me. Ended up with 2.0 magnification  lenses and that's what I use. Probably not the best option, but works for me so far.

12 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

I need readers to see my front sight well pistol or rifle, and distance(which I wear for driving, TV etc) to see the target hits beyond 7 yards. Should I look for top or bottom reader scripts? Appreciate advice.

As was noted earlier in this thread, you need reverse bifocals, with the readers on the top of the lens so you can see them when you take a shooting position.  See my post above for a link. 

Each of my eyes has a different prescription, so I went online and bought 2 pairs of magnified safety goggles.  One was close to the left eye prescription, and one was close to the right eye prescription at short distance.  I (carefully) took them apart and glued them back together with the result that I have MUCH better clarity on my front sight, and good enough vision downrange.

I just had cataract surgery on both my eyes, two and three weeks ago respectively. Will be getting my final checkup and prescription at the end of the month. Am excited since I am now far sighted for the first time in my adult life. Am using Costco Foster Grant InDesign +2.00 readers for computer and closer cell/iPad use. For me, the readers are NOT suitable, nor needed, for use beyond approx three feet. 
     Will be easing back to shooting sometime next month. So far I have purchased the SSP Eyewear Chelan(AMZ) kit. It has no magnification. Have been wearing those daily as sunglasses and I anticipate they will be perfect for shooting my firearms that have scopes or red dot sights.  Will evaluate later whether I feel the need for the SSP glasses with the magnification at the top for shooting my Glocks. (As an aside, I fly a Mavic drone and anticipate I may need a set with the magnification at the bottom to be able to see it’s controller and attached cellphone.) Btw, the SSP website shows the Chelan set as “AST” while the same set on Amazon is listed  as “AMZ”. Not sure why they differ. Perhaps the latter stands for Amazon.  Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding the aforementioned including the cataract surgery itself.

Ya might want to try something like this plus one of the compatible Wiley Glasses like Sabre or Vapor. You'll have to make sure your eye doc will be able to send them out for your script. Lots of docs deal with Wiley. I have a set and they work great. They pop on and off easily if you just want to use your shooting glasses. 

Rx Insert for Changeable Frames | Wiley X

An update, started easing my way back into shooting after my cataract surgery. I went shooting at the handgun(25yd) range at UHGC a few evenings ago. My first trip to the range in over two months. As hoped, I was able to clearly see my target all the way down range. Amazing experience given I was formerly nearsighted my entire adult life. 
Shooting my Ruger MK4 Hunter with it’s venom red dot sight was excellent in all respects. On the other hand, and as anticipated, shooting my M&P 22 with iron sights was a no go. The sights were so out of focus that they were essentially useless. Will likely purchase the SSP eyewear with the diopter at the top and see how that works out. 
Eyes were fine with respect to sound and concussion levels at the handgun range. I was shooting 22lr but others were shooting larger calibers. Next trip will shoot my Glock 19. Then in turn the indoor rifle range. Admittedly I am being very careful to gradually ramp up the recoil and concussion levels I am subjecting my eyes to. At my age, can’t afford to screw them up.