revenger

ez pass question

This has probably been asked before but,    Can I use my ez pass between family cars.    does it just go by the ez pass or is it tied to your license plate.    I dont always use the same car and I only use the parkway 4-5 times a year and if you noticed they removed all exact change lanes, only have 1 toll for people paying to force you to by a product so you dont have to wait 20-30 minutes in line .

I'm not looking for a lawyers response just a practical response.

thanks   

You need to go on the EZPass website, and list the cars/license plates you want to associate with the EZPass unit.  There is no charge for that, to the best of my knowledge.    Once the cars are listed, you can transfer the EZPass unit between them as needed.  The hardest part will be remembering to have it in the right car at the right time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If I am not mistaken, once you list your car, and provide that vehicle's license plate number, if you do happen to go through an EZ pass toll without the transponder, or if it fails to read the transponder, it will simply charge your account based on where it read the plate number.  There will not be any penalty charged. 

jm1827 beat me to it. agree with 10x you must register the plate but I''ll add that technically you don’t even need the transponder because if the transponder fails they cross-reference the plate. Keep in mind if you get a bunch of transactions  w/o the transponder you’ll probably get a nasty-gram in the mail

Just make sure you keep the cars associated with your ex-pass up to date. I forgot to update and got charged for crossing the GW bridge when I was in FL. The car that went through had an obscured plate and ez-pass must have tried multiple numbers until one came back to an active account.

When I called to dispute the charge the rep on the phone said she couldn't read the plate at all. They removed the charge.

from my understanding, you can't switch between vehicles. i had a fleet customer that would move their units between vehicles according to which one had to cross the bridge on any particular day.......they got fined for that i believe....

Once you set up an account, they don't charge for each transponder. Order and link to each plate of each car and don't worry about switching them.

Just got back from camping, NY Throughway took away the toll booths. If you don't have EZ pass-  you have to call them so they can bill you.

I've had multiple transponders, and have switched them between vehicles, with no issues. I don't think they compare transponder to license plate every time you go through. If you have two cars, and swap one transponder between them, I don't think that will be an issue. But, in the case of a misread, and they try to read the plate instead, that could be a problem if the plate isn't registered.

I just checked my account. There are 2 charges to the plate I removed on 6/18. The charges are on 6/29 and 6/30. They weren't posted to my account till 7/18.  I have to call them tomorrow and find out why they are charging me for a plate that I removed on 6/18.

I've had the NY ez pass since I bought my house in the Adirondacks in 1999. NJ didn't even offer the ez pass then.

16 hours ago, FXDX said:

jm1827 beat me to it. agree with 10x you must register the plate but I''ll add that technically you don’t even need the transponder because if the transponder fails they cross-reference the plate. Keep in mind if you get a bunch of transactions  w/o the transponder you’ll probably get a nasty-gram in the mail

Got the nasty gram

I was beating Ez pass on the MC's for years. Just this week I received the warning

They must have turned up the scanner strength as I received a e-mail that they will charge extra in the future if the pass don't scan. 

%$#@ NJ and EZ fleece. 

Just wait till rat bidens mileage tax kicks in.   Meanwhile the ruling elite have government paid cars + insurance WE pay for too. 

1 hour ago, mjrfd99 said:

Got the nasty gram

I was beating Ez pass on the MC's for years. Just this week I received the warning

They must have turned up the scanner strength as I received a e-mail that they will charge extra in the future if the pass don't scan. 

%$#@ NJ and EZ fleece. 

Just wait till rat bidens mileage tax kicks in.   Meanwhile the ruling elite have government paid cars + insurance WE pay for too. 

wellll yaknow? that's necessary due to the proliferation of battery powered cars.

1 hour ago, mjrfd99 said:

Got the nasty gram

%$#@ NJ and EZ fleece. 

wellll yaknow? that's necessary due to the proliferation of battery powered cars.

On a humorous side note, I once mailed back an old transponder and forgot to put it in its protective RFID  wrapper.  The next month I saw several dollars worth of tolls from the US mail truck as it made its way to the Secaucus EZPass service center.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjrfd99 said:

I don’t want to hijack the OP thread but there were 17 Republican senators who voted to advance that bill so keep that in mind, it was the usual useful idiots. This would be a great sub topic in the 1A forum  

ez pass wants your plate number of any vehicle that you use your tag in so they can charge you if your tag doesn't read . in fact if you don't put it in the car their system takes a picture of your plate and checks to see if it is associated to an account and charges that account. just put the plate on the account and drive

1 hour ago, tbta02 said:

ez pass wants your plate number of any vehicle that you use your tag in so they can charge you if your tag doesn't read . in fact if you don't put it in the car their system takes a picture of your plate and checks to see if it is associated to an account and charges that account. just put the plate on the account and drive

If you ever had a plate on your account and removed it and they read it they put the plate back on your account and charge you too. I'm having a fight with them now as I keep getting charged for a plate I have not had on a car in 10 years.

I commited for years to Newark and milburn. I always drive with P/U tailgate down! Helps with gas and there are other benefits!. Tailgate down covers plate. 

I always keep my EZ pass in vehicle. I also bring my lunch in alum. foil. Sometimes the EZ pass doesn't read thru the foil! I really don't know why!

1 hour ago, brucin said:

If you ever had a plate on your account and removed it and they read it they put the plate back on your account and charge you too. I'm having a fight with them now as I keep getting charged for a plate I have not had on a car in 10 years.

Someone could have a similar plate. I have seen them add some tape to a letter to change the letter or number.

1 hour ago, 15636215 said:

I commited for years to Newark and milburn. I always drive with P/U tailgate down! Helps with gas and there are other benefits!. Tailgate down covers plate. 

I always keep my EZ pass in vehicle. I also bring my lunch in alum. foil. Sometimes the EZ pass doesn't read thru the foil! I really don't know why!

Someone could have a similar plate. I have seen them add some tape to a letter to change the letter or number.

That's my theory and that of the officer I filled out a report for a stolen/lost plate. Still waiting to get the report from the police so I can start the appeal process with ez-pass.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 15636215 said:

i actually checked that mileage thing with the tailgate down. with my old 70 chevy, it stayed the same. with my 79 ford, it got a little worse. the chevy had a 4 speed and 400 ci engine. ford had automatic with 351m engine. my 97 dakota stayed about the same. 318 5 speed. when i was young, i thought tailgate down would help,.

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i actually checked that mileage thing with the tailgate down. with my old 70 chevy, it stayed the same. with my 79 ford, it got a little worse. the chevy had a 4 speed and 400 ci engine. ford had automatic with 351m engine. my 97 dakota stayed about the same. 318 5 speed. when i was young, i thought tailgate down would help,.

Mythbusters tested tailgate up or down years ago.  They found tailgate down got less mileage.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/g475/15-favorite-mythbusters-car-myths/#:~:text=Myth confirmed.&text=The Myth%3A Driving with your,driving with your tailgate up.

6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

i remember that episode. some stuff they got totally wrong, other stuff on point or kinda sorta right. too bad they're off the air.

• Like 2