70gto

Glock 34 vs H&K vp9l

Hi after waiting forever for my glock 34 MOS for IDPA Matches, I picked it up the other day. I then saw the HK vp9l, very sexy gun overall and very close in overall length. I couldn't find much online for this comparison. Glock 34 vs HK VP9L, HK also makes a match version. So what do you guys think especially folks who have shot both. AT this point I have shot neither. I need another gun like a hole in the head, otherwise I would have both. The gun would primarily be the Competition gun with nightstand duties. A glock is a glock and all that comes with that, I have never shot the HK. Is this a chevy vs chevy or more like chevy vs Ferrari comparison? Dont get me wrong my whole platform is glock bc of muscle memory etc, it maybe minor for some folks but for me any advantage of knowing the same platform inside and out to me gives a miniscule advantage, which I will gladly take.

2 hours ago, 70gto said:

Hi after waiting forever for my glock 34 MOS for IDPA Matches, I picked it up the other day. I then saw the HK vp9l, very sexy gun overall and very close in overall length. I couldn't find much online for this comparison. Glock 34 vs HK VP9L, HK also makes a match version. So what do you guys think especially folks who have shot both. AT this point I have shot neither. I need another gun like a hole in the head, otherwise I would have both. The gun would primarily be the Competition gun with nightstand duties. A glock is a glock and all that comes with that, I have never shot the HK. Is this a chevy vs chevy or more like chevy vs Ferrari comparison? Dont get me wrong my whole platform is glock bc of muscle memory etc, it maybe minor for some folks but for me any advantage of knowing the same platform inside and out to me gives a miniscule advantage, which I will gladly take.

If you Google "pistols most often used in competitions" it's generally cz shadow and variants, followed by the glock 34. If I was choosing between those two I'd pick the glock. It's easier to find aftermarket parts for and has cheaper magazines. It's also proven in competition and you knowing the platform cuts down on any adjustments.  

The way I look at it is you already have the Glock (which as chef noted one of the most popular) - so is a different firearm really going to make that much of a difference in your performance?  Probably not.

The Glock is a perfectly good gun. I ran my G35 for years before getting anything else.

During my divorce I was without any guns but was still actively shooting IDPA using guns loaned to me for each match by some very good friends. I made SSP Master with a borrowed G34.

I also borrowed a VP9 for a club match. I had never even seen one, let alone fired one before this day. The VP9 points and shoots great. The only thing I didn't like was the flappy paddle mag release. If I was going to get one I would go for the VP9-B which has a traditional push button mag release.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp7zo96v1pajyz4/FILE0144.MP4?dl=0

One thing to remember is that in IDPA, the shooting is maybe 10-15% of your raw time. Stage planning and executing the movement is the rest. Chasing the perfect gun follows the law of diminishing returns and will not drastically improve your overall performance.

Yankee and Mr. Stu, you are both correct. either gun can outshoot me..  I think the vp9l just struck me as a beautiful piece and handling it impressed me. I like a carpenter was just looking for the right hammer, when in reality most hammers will do. the Mag release on the vp9l took some getting used too, and probably under timed pressure , its best to stick with what you know,.  The glock like an old chevy starts every time. I just got caught up in the looks and feel of the vp9l beautifully ported, balanced etc. Either way.  Its the shooter, not the gun. Worse comes to worse I will just save my pennies for the HK but relegate the 34 to IDPA/ 3 gun in the future.

28 minutes ago, 70gto said:

I just got caught up in the looks and feel of the vp9l beautifully ported, balanced etc

But that's a valid reason to get it too!  Just be realistic as to why you are getting it.  :) 

5 hours ago, 70gto said:

Well boys and girls I shot the 34 and wow trigger and sight picture are extremely "NICE" Shoots like butter. 

The VP9 has a nicer trigger than the Glock. However, compare to other Glocks the 34 & 35 are nicer because they come with the 3.5lb connector as standard instead of the regular 5.5lb one.

2 hours ago, H2oVento said:

Glock is like an all season tire. Not great at anything, but good at everything. If it boils down to just $$ the Glock wins. If not than the HK  wins every time. 

I have to try an hk now. I've been looking at the p30l but now that the vp9l exists I may have to try it.