GDITurbo77

So I fired my new AR for the first time over the weekend and have a couple of questions

So I went thru 40 rounds of WWB 5.56 and 20 rounds of PMC .223 and the handguard was getting pretty toasty. Not to the point where it was burning our hands but still very warm to the touch. Is this normal after just 60 rounds? Should I not be putting too many rounds through it at the range?

Also, the muzzlebrake at the end of the barrel gets extremely hot. I guess this is understandable, but I was just concerned that I might actually catch my soft case on fire (or at the very least melt the nylon if I put it in the case right away after finishing up. Do I need to be worried about that? I ended up wrapping the barrel in a hand towel to absorb some of the heat when putting it in the case.  Sorry for the noob questions.

100% normal and natural.  What handguards do you have on the AR, and what grip/hold are you using? If it's a quad rail or something like that, it can get hotter - there's no heat shield and the heat from the barrel/gas will radiate directly towards your hands.  

After a few shots the barrel/brake will be burning hot - just let it cool down normally via air.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, GDITurbo77 said:

So I went thru 40 rounds of WWB 5.56 and 20 rounds of PMC .223 and the handguard was getting pretty toasty. Not to the point where it was burning our hands but still very warm to the touch. Is this normal after just 60 rounds? Should I not be putting too many rounds through it at the range?

Also, the muzzlebrake at the end of the barrel gets extremely hot. I guess this is understandable, but I was just concerned that I might actually catch my soft case on fire (or at the very least melt the nylon if I put it in the case right away after finishing up. Do I need to be worried about that? I ended up wrapping the barrel in a hand towel to absorb some of the heat when putting it in the case.  Sorry for the noob questions.

If it's hot enough it will melt a nylon bag. I left my rifle rest at home one trip and used my nylon range bag when sighting in an optic. Now it has a melted hole in it. Definitely let it cool down first. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

100% normal and natural.  What handguards do you have on the AR, and what grip/hold are you using? If it's a quad rail or something like that, it can get hotter - there's no heat shield and the heat from the barrel/gas will radiate directly towards your hands.  

After a few shots the barrel/brake will be burning hot - just let it cool down normally via air.  

It's a quad rail m-lok handguard. I just ordered a handstop for underneath the handrail from Magpul. It will probably help out a bit.

13 minutes ago, GDITurbo77 said:

It's a quad rail m-lok handguard. I just ordered a handstop for underneath the handrail from Magpul. It will probably help out a bit.

AFG or VFG you'll have a little buffer to help take the heat... Hand stop not so much since you're still pretty much touching the rail.

• Like 1

If your hand guards are getting too hot for you, take a look at Magpul Type 1 and Type 2 MLOK panels - Note: Do not fill all of the slots, as you do need some ventilation between the barrel and the tube. Only put them on the rail where your hands will touch the rail while in a normal shooting position.

Another option is one of the handguard wraps, like the Lunar Concepts Hot Pocket. I have one and it works very well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

If it's hot enough it will melt a nylon bag. I left my rifle rest at home one trip and used my nylon range bag when sighting in an optic. Now it has a melted hole in it. Definitely let it cool down first. 

Been there. Done that. Have a new range bag. 

• Haha 1

This advice is not one of your noob questions.  

Shoot your AR @ a outdoor range its just more rewarding.  

You will be able to track your progress shooting @ 25yds  50 yds 100 yds 150 yds 200 yds over time.

Shooting a AR indoors is just a waste of good ammo,  This is JMHO  :hi:

• Agree 2

GDI based on your pic of the AR you purchased you could try the MLOK rail covers like HE suggested. I liked the BCM Rail panel kits.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mcmr-rail-panel-kit-5-5-inch-black-five-pack/

I tried the Magpul MLOK type 2 rail covers which looked great but the texture/feel was not as good as the BCM. I've never tried the type 1

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/rails/covers/m-lok-rail-covers-type1.html?mp_global_color=118

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/rails/covers/m-lok-rail-covers-type2.html?mp_global_color=118

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I use a combo of the Type 1 and Type 2 on most of my MLOK tubes.

I have some of the Keymod BCM panels on my LaRue in combination with some VZ Rail Panels. They are both nice as well.

I will try to post photos later when I get home if I think about.

Do share pics of the combo setup if u can. How do the Type 1 feel? To me the Type 2 felt a little to much like hard plastic. The BCMs to me had a better texture. 

14 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

Do share pics of the combo setup if u can. How do the Type 1 feel? To me the Type 2 felt a little to much like hard plastic. The BCMs to me had a better texture. 

Didn’t get time last night to take photos. I’ll post some this evening.

11 hours ago, Gabesdad said:

2nd the Magpul.  They have heat shields and although I liked my original hand guard, was not able to attach a light.  The original did not have a heat shield.

We aren’t talking about the MOE handguards, just the rail covers. But I do like the handguards as well. I have one carbine that still has them and they work great.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, GDITurbo77 said:

Just to confirm, your handguard as MLOK slots all around or rails?

Typically a “Quad Rail” means there is 1913 Picatinny rails at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock on the rail.

An MLOK tube typically has 1913 Picatinny rail at 12 o’clock and the rest of the tube has MLOK slots (some at 3, 6, and 9 and some just have more)

On 8/9/2021 at 8:05 PM, My1stGlock said:

Magpul Type 1 & 2 combo on an ALG EMR MLOK Tube:
lNLOT3j.jpg

All Type 1 Magpul on an ALG EMR MLOK Tube:
bm4vHYC.jpg

The ALG tubes have slots at weird locations at 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 o’clock, not the traditional 3, 6, 9. All Type 2 Magpul panels won’t fit.

All type 2 on a Troy SOCC MLOK Tube:
B5Ik1vr.jpg

VZ and BCM panels on Keymod LaRue UU Kit Tube:
mWOg99x.jpg

Lunar Concepts Hot Pocket on MM SBF MLOK tube:
dJxZxRw.jpg

Both the Type 1 and Type 2 work well for me. I like the texture on the Type 2 and I like the low profile of the Type 1. The BCM is ok as well, but I prefer the Magpul’s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, My1stGlock said:

Ok so no pinning and standard buffer. Any experience using the VLTOR buffer/tube to get a 11.5 barrel to 26" OAL?

No pinning, standard buffer (actually went to a H1 buffer as it's fairly blasty and harsh).  I don't have any personal experience using the A5 buffer tube but others have done it with no issues.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, My1stGlock said:

Ok so no pinning and standard buffer. Any experience using the VLTOR buffer/tube to get a 11.5 barrel to 26" OAL?

Yes I have a VLTOR A5 on mine with an 11.3" barrel. It's over 26". 

20210111_232100.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

Did you end up pinning the muzzle brake?

No. It's over 26" without pinning it. 

11.3" (barrel) + 7.625" (receiver) + 8" (VLTOR RE-A5) - .5" (receiver extension threading) = 26.425"