Gosnellus

How to go about obtaining a 2nd pistol

Hi, new firearm owner here. I obtained my first 92FS in 2019. I am now looking to obtain another pistol or 2. My uncle recently passed away and my aunt found his old Savage Arms Model 1907. She wants to give it to me. If I already went through the background checks/fingerprints/etc..., Do I need to do everything all over again from scratch to obtain this pistol? 

Also, I am looking at getting a 1911 as well. Is the process the same for this? 

Any help/tips are appreciated. Thanks!

If you were specifically named in his will as the heir for this item (or 'all firearms') she can give it to you.

If not, the handgun now belongs to her, and she'll have to transfer it to you (this is a private transfer). You will need a handgun purchase permit and execute it with her at an FFL with another background check to take possession of it.

The process is the same for the 1911. New or otherwise.

Acquisition of a handgun is always requires a purchase permit. UNLESS you are specifically named as the heir for that item (or 'all firearms') in a will. In that case you can just take possession assuming you are not a prohibited person.

Just now, 45Doll said:

If you were specifically named in his will as the heir for this item (or 'all firearms') she can give it to you.

If not, the handgun now belongs to her, and she'll have to transfer it to you (this is a private transfer). You will need a handgun purchase permit and execute it with her at an FFL with another background check to take possession of it.

The process is the same for the 1911. New or otherwise.

Acquisition of a handgun is always requires a purchase permit. UNLESS you are specifically named as the heir for that item (or 'all firearms') in a will. In that case you can just take possession assuming you are not a prohibited person.

Understood, thanks so much for the response. Will I have a get fingerprinted again for either or the guns? I recently from form a boro on the shore to Monmouth county. Not sure if that makes a difference in the fingerprinting/application process

4 minutes ago, Gosnellus said:

Understood, thanks so much for the response. Will I have a get fingerprinted again for either or the guns? I recently from form a boro on the shore to Monmouth county. Not sure if that makes a difference in the fingerprinting/application process

If you have a FID card (which you were fingerprinted for) then no, you don't get fingerprinted again. And you don't get fingerprinted again for a handgun purchase permit. But if your address has changed your DL and FID and handgun purchase permits will all have to show your current address. You can apply for an address change at the same time as the handgun permits.

If you have to apply for handgun purchase permits, I always suggest applicants get at least 1 or 2 more than they expect to use. They're only $2 each (at the moment) it saves a lot of time if a purchase prospect appears.

On 8/13/2021 at 12:03 PM, 45Doll said:

If you have a FID card (which you were fingerprinted for) then no, you don't get fingerprinted again. And you don't get fingerprinted again for a handgun purchase permit. But if your address has changed your DL and FID and handgun purchase permits will all have to show your current address. You can apply for an address change at the same time as the handgun permits.

If you have to apply for handgun purchase permits, I always suggest applicants get at least 1 or 2 more than they expect to use. They're only $2 each (at the moment) it saves a lot of time if a purchase prospect appears.

Thanks again! So I changed my address online, but when I tried scheduling an appointment to get my physical license changed, they won't allow me to make an appointment because my ID isn't actually up for renewal until 2023. I won't be able to get the permit with only an address change form receipt, correct?

Also, how long are the additional permits good for?

IF the DMV has sent you a change of address receipt or label for your DL, that should mean your address is updated in their database. So I would think you can apply for your purchase permits and/or FID using that address.

All permits issued at the same time are good for the same 180 days.

Firearms Information | New Jersey State Police (njsp.org)

Just now, 45Doll said:

IF the DMV has sent you a change of address receipt or label for your DL, that should mean your address is updated in their database. So I would think you can apply for your purchase permits and/or FID using that address.

All permits issued at the same time are good for the same 180 days.

Firearms Information | New Jersey State Police (njsp.org)

Thanks for all of your help. It's very encouraging having members like you around here for my beginner questions. Have a great day!

Now that your DL (in the system) has the correct address, even though your existing document still shows your old address, go to the MVC (Motor Vehicle Commission) site and order up a Duplicate DL (lost / mutilated) and your new one will come thru with your current address.

Be sure to destroy your old one to preclude any fraud.

And purchase to your heart's (and wallet's) desire.